Back to The Sustainable Development Goals – A global, transdisciplinary vision for the future

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Sustainable Development Goals – A global, transdisciplinary vision for the future by University of Copenhagen

In 2015, the UN launched the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Adopted by 193 member states, the goals represent an important international step in setting humanity on a trajectory towards sustainable development. Within this course, you will get a historical overview of how sustainability has been understood, as well as a thorough introduction to the SDGs – what they are, how progress can be measured, and how the SDGs are relevant for the management of the global systems supporting humanity. The course will examine how various societal actors are responding to and implementing the SDGs. While all of the SDGs are essential to sustainable development, SDG 13, Climate Action, is usually perceived as the most urgent in terms of the need for a swift implementation on a global scale. Therefore, particular focus is given to this SDG. Through the course, you will gain up-to-date knowledge of the current understanding of human impacts on the Earth at the planetary level. Progress towards establishing global management of human interactions with the climate system within the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) is also discussed. The course is designed and taught by Professor Katherine Richardson, who is a member of the 15-person panel appointed by the UN General Secretary in 2016 to write the 2019 Global Sustainable Development Report. In each lecture, Katherine interviews experts who provide insights relevant to the topic at hand....

JM
Jul 18, 2020

Thank you for offering this course (The Sustainable Development Goals-A global transdisciplinary vision for the future). I have passed it but I am not sure how can i get the certificate at this stage.

JJ
Jul 15, 2020

I loved it, ver interesting and relevant information to the situation we face nowadays! Everyone should take this course to understand that we must evolve as a society to have a better world for all.

26 - 50 of 816 Reviews for The Sustainable Development Goals – A global, transdisciplinary vision for the future

By mads s b

Jul 9, 2018

superb introduction to the SDGs and how they are inter-related and overlapping. A much needed scientific approach to the SDGs and learning about the anthropocene age, and the very inspiring input from the guest lecturers about resilience, doughnut economy and planetary boundaries. A treasure chest for information and insights. On the downside, there was not many "solutions" or opportunities presented within the scope of reaching the goal of Paris Agreement

By ebru d

Aug 15, 2019

I have had a eye-opening, informative and integrated learning experience with the program. The program covers not only a deeper understating of why the SDGs are important but also provided me with a systems approach guideline that I can put in work for the industry I work for. I appreciate the further reading as well as the videos.

By Julieta I O J

Jul 16, 2020

By Levi N P

Oct 31, 2020

Firstly, I like the course because it opens my mind to the general concept of SDGs. Moreover, I like the interview and discussions with experts from universities, stakeholders, etc. the lectures were well structured and the presentations were excellent. The reading materials were helpful and the quizzes were challenging but worth it.

Nevertheless, I believe that most of the lectures focused on goal 13, climate change, more than all the others. My own recommendation would be an explanation of each of the SDGs along with their targets. Let the course be taken for four weeks, where the first week will be used to extensively explain the 17 SDGs. With this knowledge, learners will be able to clearly understand the importance of the SDGs.

By Oluwafemi O

Nov 3, 2018

This course, as methodically taught by Katherine (coupled with the discussions with other collaborators) has opened my eyes as a job seeker and as an intending Masters student to understand what the SDGs mean, why they exist, how they came about, the targets they set in clear terms and what my role is in achieving these goals. I have a deeper purpose for wanting a Masters degree and getting a job, I hope getting an opportunity in these two areas of my endeavour gives me an opportunity to attain these SDGs on the long run.

By Aparna S

Apr 29, 2020

Including more case studies on implementation mechanisms, as well as an update on where we stand, now, in 2020, five years after the establishment of goals, would make the course more practical.

By Marlene S

Sep 22, 2020

Well structured, easy to follow basics for understanding the SDGs. Less one star, because the content and resources are already a little bit outdated.

By Caroline D

Feb 3, 2021

I really enjoyed 'The Sustainable Development Goals - A global, transdisciplinary vision for the future'. Before starting the course, I had a limited knowledge of the SDGs and of the UN as a whole. I had opinions that, after completing the course, I have realized were totally distorted, misconstrued, and untrue. The educational resources I was able to access on the course, including data, links to articles and scientific studies on a range of websites, PDF downloads and booklets, quizzes, and videos, provided me with an accurate, foundational, thorough, and well-rounded basis on which to build and develop my knowledge of the importance of the SDGs and the cooperation, interaction, participation, and unification of nations, both with regards to the SDGs and the relationships they have with eachother. The SDGs represent a vision of which nations can demonstrate a unanimous agreement to develop, implement, and make progress towards a future that promotes the best possible sustainability and outcomes for the whole of humanity.

By Cláudio E C L

Oct 10, 2020

Dear course team.

I would like to say that I am very glad with this SDGs course. I have to say that this is my first choice over all courses on this platform. The topics covered are extremely important to pursue a future in which humanity is able to coexist. The course itself contributed a lot to the development of new perspectives and the adoption of work attitudes needed today, so that the future can be more balanced about the relations between humans and the relations between humanity with the environment and the planet itself. The lessons, readings, videos and tests were very well prepared and are capable of transmitting the necessary knowledge to those who seek to deepen the theme. I also want to point out that Professor Katherine Richardson did an extraordinary job, transmitting the knowledge with firmness and eloquence from only those who are really involved with the topic. Finally, I want to congratulate the whole team. Thank so much!

By ANUPAMA S

*Those detailed lectures on SDGs and their importance were really helpful and the reading materials after some videos did help a lot.

*Getting to know about the relationship between Resilience and Sustainability was another good score to be added on.

*Those quizzes of Nine questions were helpful enough to think and question myself if I paid much attention to the lectures.

*Opinions coming from different Professors and what measures have had been taken and should be taken, much helped in order for us to understand where we, our countries actually stand and what the purpose of the AGENDA 2030 and also AGENDA 21 really are about.

*About the role of business in SDGs.

Lastly, Thank you Prof. Katherine Richardson for emphasizing on such major topics through your comprehensive lectures but in a precise way and also sharing your knowledge with us. Had a great experience, learning from you.

By Bayenessa G M

Oct 15, 2020

This MOOC has really helped me a lot because I'm currently studying Bachelor of Science major in Sustainable Community Development at our university here in the Philippines and due to the pandemic our university had decided to end our second semester of the year without reaching its actual end of the semester. So basically, I don't understand my previous subject (SCD101 Introduction to sustainable development) which is a pre-requisite to my (SCD102-Social Institution in Philippine Communities) but with the help of this online course and its core subject, I now understand what is Sustainable development. I highly thanks a lot to Professor Katherine Richardson of University of Copenhagen who was behind of this course and of course to DOST-Caraga region who was sponsored me to avail this course.

By Manuel C N

Sep 16, 2020

O curso foi bastante amplo permitindo a compreensão do conteúdo dos ODS, mas essencialmente, a compreensão das causas que levaram à determinação desses objectivos. Por outro lado ficou bastante claro que a metodologia para tratar do desenvolvimento sustentável deve ser profundamente alterada, de maneira a atender as necessidades globais dos seres humanos (direitos humanos fundamentais), bem como a sua interação com o meio ambiente, deixando assim de usar-se as métricas quantitativas tradicionais baseadas nos indicadores de crescimento económico, em especial o PIB. De facto, o curso é um apelo a uma mudança na forma de pensar e de agir de todos os actores do processo de desenvolvimento que partilham, com os mesmos direitos e deveres, o único planeta de que todos dispõem.

By Rohit J

May 5, 2020

Very informative course..!! SDG should definitely be made a part of curriculum in schools as well as colleges, because when the students are getting ready and building up their sense of right or wrong in their young age, reading and understanding about sustainability in an interesting way will help them inculcate these values easily and without any additional efforts. That's the right age when their conditioning can be done in right direction and they can understand sustainability, living with nature instead of inclining towards capitalism, materialism. As after getting higher education, job and loans,no one can and would like to think about sustainability as they get stuck with their duties and responsibilities.

By Ahmed K R A K

May 9, 2020

This course offers a beautiful journey for the learner to review the bilateral or collective relations between the SDGs and the efforts made at various levels to reach them in 2030, and the special thing about this course is the conversations that the lecturer had with the guests from the various disciplines to show the impact of the different contributions on achieving these goals

In my opinion, this course is necessary for all interested people in sustainable development.

And by virtue of my work in the field of sustainable development, we all have roles we must play and give a “push” to the efforts of our governments to achieve the sustainable development goals.

By Mokshith

Mar 30, 2021

My name is Mokshith, a learner from India. To say in a word, the course is perfectly "Informative". It helps every aspirant, especially beginners, who want to know about the "science behind Climate Change" and every aspect about the UNSDG's. From, my own perspective, I myself is a beginner in this concept of Climate Change mitigation, and I always wanted to learn about the "science behind climate change" and about UNSDG's; and this course has given me 100% what I wanted.

No suggestions or remarks from my side except acknowledging this course organisers for giving me such a wonderful course to learn. Thank You all for your wonderful efforts.🙏

By Tshangpa

Jun 2, 2020

I got a lot of knowledge about 17 SDGs, and what is mean by the word Sustainable Development. I learned how we can measure progress and how the goals are interconnected. How the human activities are influencing the Earth at the planetary level and learned the concepts of Anthropocene and Planetary Boundaries. How it really focuses on monitoring and managing human impacts on climate and biodiversity as well as the potential consequences of failing to meet the goals of the SDGs relating to climate and biodiversity. Moreover I enjoyed every reading materials and the clips of the course and thanks for the wonderful course.

By Shivakumar

Apr 11, 2020

This course on SDG helped me to systematically refresh my understanding of SDGs and how progress can be measures. My overall course experience has been quite enjoyable.

This is because, the instructor (Kathrine) delivered the course in a structured and professional manner. The reading and reference materials on SDGs further helped to support the lectures too. The fact that the course was divided into 3 modules helped to make step wise progress in learning too.

By the way, to what extent Covid19 virus will impact (or complicate) on the implementation and progress of SDGs? Any thoughts on this?

Thank you.

By Julia N

I come from a biological sciences background (Microbiology, Biochemistry and Biotechnology) and it was refreshing to see the nexus between all these three disciplines and the environmental as well as economic aspects of sustainable development being captured clearly. I appreciate that it was all very easy to absorb. The content was very well demystified and distilled to the core topics/issues. The discussions were engaging and the additional resources were of excellent quality. l also loved the creative videos and the discussions with Oxford and Novozymes counterparts. So, very well put together!

By JAGANNADHA R K

Apr 26, 2020

The lectures were delivered excellently by Prof Katherine Richardson. The questions posed to various experts were apt and to the point. I am very much impressed by this course and learnt a lot about the sustainable development goals, interactions among them, the obstacles in the path of achieving SDGs, the role of various organisations like government, companies, NGOs, Civic Societies, etc. are well explained with appropriate examples. I thank Prof Katherine Richardson personally for her mesmerising lectures and I thank Coursera for the opportunity given to undergo this course.

By Sanjiv K

Dec 22, 2020

The course is excellent. All modules, videos, documents are very informative. It gives a very good perspective on the SDGs, their current status and how they interact with each other. Quizzes are good and they make sure the topic is well understood.

This course gave me a Global perspective of how important it is to understand how humans impact different SDGs and where we are today. It also explains what measures need to be taken to make the environment sustainable not only to humans but to all living organisms and how it is essential for their survival.

By Tun Y

Oct 18, 2020

This course " the Sustainable Development Goals - A global, transdisciplinary vision for the future" is very good. Every one in the world must try to know these goals so that everyone will participate actively for the sustainability of beings in this planet. For me as a development worker, I feel so lucky getting a chance of studying this 17 sustainable development goals and how they relate to each others. I thank so much this Coursera University and the Professor Katherine Richardson, Leader of the Sustainability Science Center, University of Copenhagen.

By Marianne E

Jan 6, 2021

This was a fantastic course with an interesting and organized approach to Sustainable Development Goals 2015 and Agenda 2030. The instructor was exceptionally knowledgeable, articulate, and authentic in her presentations. She showed clear passion for her work and the hard work of all her colleagues that she interviewed. There was an excellent balance of research readings, video interviews, and didactic knowledge taught. The puppet videos on Donut Economics were also a nice touch to show family and kids! Wonderful! I enjoyed the course.

By Biswajyoti S

Jan 27, 2021

It has been a great learning and enriching experience while going through the course. I would be more focused on Application of improved decision science for sustainable operations management. United Nations SDG 9 : Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation, it is imperative to evolve Industry and Transport sectors to support achieving the targets set in this goal. Sustainable Operations Management would play an important role in this process.

By Beverly M D C

Oct 18, 2020

The course is excellent. It has a thorough discussion of the key concepts that encompasses the foundations of the Sustainable Development Goals. It provides highly contextualized examples for these foundational concepts. The readings and interview videos are very helpful in applying the concepts to real world setting. The quizzes are substantial enough to assess the understanding of the student. Overall, the course is highly recommended. Thank you University of Copenhagen and Coursera for this course.

By Chaithanya P

Jul 1, 2020

I think this course has been extremely informative and it gives a real-world picture of the current scenario, in terms of wealth, economy, pollution-i.e in the perspective of global development. It is pertinent for each and every one of us to be informed about these facts,to ensure that we realize our duties as a global citizen and we contribute to sustainable development for our future as well as the future generations. Thoroughly enjoyed the videos and the reading material. Highly recommended!