Back to Global Warming I: The Science and Modeling of Climate Change

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Global Warming I: The Science and Modeling of Climate Change by The University of Chicago

This class describes the science of global warming and the forecast for humans’ impact on Earth’s climate. Intended for an audience without much scientific background but a healthy sense of curiosity, the class brings together insights and perspectives from physics, chemistry, biology, earth and atmospheric sciences, and even some economics—all based on a foundation of simple mathematics (algebra)....

SL

Oct 06, 2016

A great introductory course into Global Warming as well as modelling which gives you a better insight into what is actually happening with our planet. Started another course and it all fits in.

SK

May 27, 2019

It's a very comprehensive and extremely tough course to negotiate. Some of the quiz answers are still a mystery. It has arisen the appetite of Climate Change within me, like never before.

1 - 25 of 86 Reviews for Global Warming I: The Science and Modeling of Climate Change

By Rosanella D C

Oct 10, 2017

The video lectures are great but the level of guidance is nil! The Quizzes are a waste of one's precious time as one needs to rely mostly on the forum. The lecturer is nowhere to be seen on the forums nor course assistant. Looking at posts on the forums, I see students with degrees and Master degrees finding difficult to fathom answers to quizzes.

I was really excited about taking this course and I am now very disappointed. I paid for this course!

By Andreas J S

Feb 24, 2019

Very good course to understand the connections between temperature, greenhouse gases, water vapor, carbon cylce ...

By Carsten H

Nov 03, 2018

For a longer time I have wanted to know more about the scientific background of climate change and global warming, and I am glad that I finally found the time to do this course. I liked the interactive aspect and the variety of tasks including writing small reports and explanations and reading the ones of other students as well as getting feedback from them. This interaction and combination of learning forms is way more effective than just reading a book, I think.

What I do not understand is the grading system for the final task, the term project. There is a scale ranging from 1 to 10, but you can only give a 1,4,7 or 10. It seems that, if do not get a 10 from someone, you fail the whole course. I don't think that this is fair.

By Frank M

Aug 12, 2016

This is a really excellent course. Prof. Archer's lectures are clear and quite interesting, and the course is well structured. Students are also introduced to the "climatemodels.uchicago.edu" website, which provides both data and analysis tools for studying climate change.

By elon l

May 01, 2016

Excellent introduction to climate science!

By Eñaut I E

Nov 27, 2016

Excellent!

By 陆叶子

Jan 05, 2016

very useful and the teacher taught in a easy understanding way.

By Murray

Apr 26, 2016

Great course!

By Mohsen M V

Feb 06, 2016

Thanks a lot for a such smooth and effective presentation

By shashank n

Jan 20, 2018

Amazing course. Gives a great overview of our planet. I'd recommend this for everyone. its a must.

By Sarah

Mar 05, 2016

Fabulous overview of the science of global warming! I really appreciated the step-by-step approach and the comprehensive coverage of the subject. Playing with the models was highly useful in most cases, though some of the quiz questions related to the models seemed to be overly finicky in the answers they'd accept as correct. In any case, I thoroughly enjoyed this course and will be using the knowledge I gained from it as I begin pursuing a Master's in environmental science this summer.

By Maria M

Feb 21, 2017

Excellent course. The way David presents is very clear.

By Mark H

Feb 21, 2018

Very nice balance of quizzes and interacting with the models. Very clear lectures. I also appreciated that Prof. Archer kept a sharp line between the known and the maybes.

By Brendan C

May 04, 2016

A very approachable introduction to climate science and the dangers of global warming from respected ocean chemist Prof. David Archer. Good online resources in the form of climate models from U Chicago.

By Sinali R

Jun 21, 2018

Great course content. Optional exercises seemed to have minor glitches with answers.

By Fabrizio L

Mar 22, 2016

Very good, interesting and essential course. Everybody should know the Earth's climate basics since everybody is living on Earth

By Aswan K

Jul 22, 2017

Excellent introduction to the mechanics of global warming. However I think that in some places, students may benefit from animations or video clips rather than just blackboard diagrams.....for example, Coriolis acceleration, Modes of molecular vibrations.

I'm only into week 6, but I'm thoroughly enjoying the material which is a wonderful mix of high school geography, physics, and meteorology.

By Aditya T

Feb 26, 2017

Very helpful and useful online institution.

By Michael d P

Mar 23, 2017

This is not an easy course. I have taken courses with similar titles and aims on other open leaning platforms (e.g. FutureLearn) and this course is much more difficult. It requires students to use sophisticated models (e.g. MODTRAN for atmospheric transmission) numerically. The course asks questions requiring quantitative answers. I have been involved peripherally around issues related to global warming, but I thought that this course would be informative by bringing together many strands. And it was. David Archer speaks clearly and makes simple physics based arguments to explain the role of the models. Overall, I would say that if you are not phased by the requirement to be numerical, and you like a physicists way of thinking, then this course will appeal to you. Personally. I enjoyed it.

By Mahmud H T

Feb 07, 2017

I have learned a lot of thing including the science of climate change and mitigation.

By Petros G

Jul 29, 2017

I liked the subject and professor is well prepared and an expert in the field. The mode of delivery is interactive.

By Sandra L

Oct 06, 2016

By John N M

Jun 13, 2016

SUPERB SUPERB!!

By Illargi U

Feb 19, 2017

Excelente curso; disfruté todo el proceso. Lo recomiendo

By David A D V