Back to Global Warming I: The Science and Modeling of Climate Change

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Global Warming I: The Science and Modeling of Climate Change by The University of Chicago

This class describes the science of global warming and the forecast for humans’ impact on Earth’s climate. Intended for an audience without much scientific background but a healthy sense of curiosity, the class brings together insights and perspectives from physics, chemistry, biology, earth and atmospheric sciences, and even some economics—all based on a foundation of simple mathematics (algebra)....

SL

Oct 06, 2016

A great introductory course into Global Warming as well as modelling which gives you a better insight into what is actually happening with our planet. Started another course and it all fits in.

SK

May 27, 2019

It's a very comprehensive and extremely tough course to negotiate. Some of the quiz answers are still a mystery. It has arisen the appetite of Climate Change within me, like never before.

51 - 75 of 80 Reviews for Global Warming I: The Science and Modeling of Climate Change

By Carsten H

Nov 03, 2018

For a longer time I have wanted to know more about the scientific background of climate change and global warming, and I am glad that I finally found the time to do this course. I liked the interactive aspect and the variety of tasks including writing small reports and explanations and reading the ones of other students as well as getting feedback from them. This interaction and combination of learning forms is way more effective than just reading a book, I think.

What I do not understand is the grading system for the final task, the term project. There is a scale ranging from 1 to 10, but you can only give a 1,4,7 or 10. It seems that, if do not get a 10 from someone, you fail the whole course. I don't think that this is fair.

By Elena Z

Apr 18, 2019

The course is easy at the beginning but getting more difficult to the end. Provided great overview of models and opportunities they give and knowledge on the interrelation of various factors and their inp

By Sushant K

May 27, 2019

By Natanael O F B

Jul 14, 2019

amazing!

By Yoann H T T

Jul 25, 2019

Great course for independent individuals that wish to do things at their pace and with peer support, playing a role of mentor at times too (through forums and peer-marking). The models available to play with are great fun and really give an insight into how connected things are. What is interesting is how Global Warming is not just an atmosphere problem but everything is involved, from icy poles to life to the Earth's crust. I found the course easy enough to follow and it's totally possible to do it all in less than the recommended 12 weeks, and without much support. Very well presented videos.

By Markus M

Aug 07, 2019

This course gives a sense of the whole picture. Wisely designed, Intelligibly explained, full of metaphors and graphics. I'm grateful to David Archer. Recommend this course.

By Michael O

Aug 17, 2019

Important course underlining the basics that of understanding climate change

By Geert v d W

Sep 01, 2019

This is in two words a fantastic course. Go do it!

By Zainab K

Sep 12, 2019

This is an awesome course. I'm introduced to so many new things that I'd hardly get chance of getting knowing.

By Priscila F d S

Jul 14, 2018

Very good!

By karthikeyan

Jan 17, 2016

The slow pace and the simple language helps to comprehend the climate science very effectively. Thanks a lot for that. Use of fundamentals with very little work load per week is fun!

By Jerry M

Nov 30, 2017

1.Course lectures = very good. Occasionally too brief; more detail should be provided.

By Julie M

Feb 23, 2018

Good course! in hindsight i wish i bought the book at the beginning/there were some written summaries/pdfs of the key points.

By Shahzad S

Oct 12, 2017

I appreciate the coursera .

By Randy K K

Sep 10, 2017

Great course!

By Inkoo K

Jan 18, 2017

Excellent lecture for climate change. This lecture give me a deep insight for greenhouse effect and global warming with nice scientific tools and models. However, It's necessary to improve some instruction process to have student understand with more easy. For example, there are various instructions for using models. But sometimes, I have difficulties to understand some model.

Anyhow, I thanks to Dr. David Archer and Coursera staff.

By Adriano R P

Apr 21, 2016

Good points: 1) Great instructor; 2) applicable content; 3) great for physics students.

Bad points: 1) Lacking of a "Formulae booklet" to use as reminder and reference for formulas and constants - when working on the models for this course; 2) The exercises approach should be reviews, making more use of the tools available in the Coursera interface (example: Assigments in text format (discursive) should use the own coursera interface, instead make us upload .TXT or .DOC files).

Extra: I did not finish the course, the format and content do not achieve my personal objectives, as a software developer and environmentalist. But i really enjoyed the general approach and goal.

By Smail K

Nov 26, 2017

Overall this is a good course. The drawbacks are that there are problems with week formulations of some questions. There is no support from course creators.

By Frans S

Dec 14, 2016

Dr. David Archer has succeeded in presenting a didactic course in which complex issues like climate and weather conditions are explained in a highly schematic and clear manner for students who do not have an academic degree in either Earth sciences or physics. The series of short video's show Dr. Archer at the blackboard explaining concepts using highly schematic and easy to understand figures. Teaching in the most elementary way, almost perfect.

Completing this course also is learning by practice: there are multiple problems to solve using a wide array of models that compute the impact of greenhouse gases on temperature, humidity, ice sheets and sea levels. Finally a series of assignments require the student to explain in simple terms 'that can be understood by an 11-yr old' what are basic concepts like heat, negative feedback, fossil fuels, climate change and others. An interesting approach.

Together, this is a recommended course for anyone interested in the science behind one of the most discussed changes of our planet. A Minor comment is that the videos would benefit by some change of perspective, introducing here and there images or video's that illustrate the impact of climate change on Earth systems.

By Carlos V

May 30, 2017

Great content and very good teacher! I dont give it 5 stars because there is no teaching staff support at all.

By James G

Mar 22, 2018

This is a great course for the non-scientist to understand the scientific mechanism and models behind climate change. I requires quite a bit of work but the lecturer explains things extremely well. Overall, some of the quizzes could be better thought through but this is a very good MOOC.

By Ulrich R

Sep 06, 2018

Highly interesting, informative, challenging and time-consuming course, which has some frustrations when it comes to the exercises. I wish it was still maintained to iron out remaining quirks.

There appears to be no statement of accomplishment unless you buy the certificate.

By Katarina T

Jun 15, 2017

The course was much more difficult than I imagined - it required more time than the explanation suggested. For me personally, the theoretical part was often not enough to go through tests with ease. The most frustrating part was the last assignment - the scoring was not well designed (you need 9 and 10 to pass, but can get either 7 or 10). On the other hand, the course was interesting and I learned a lot. With a little improvement, it would earn 5 stars.

By Brian W

May 06, 2017

The course was a broad overview to different areas of climate science. At the end I understood a little more deeply the mechanics of global warming, but some things could have gone in more depth. I found the quantity of assignments/quizzes to be a bit unmanageable even though some were very short. I really liked the explainer assignments. When I first saw them i thought they were going to be a bit much, but actually they were extremely helpful as they forced me to process the information learned week to week.

By Adam H

Mar 27, 2017

It is a good course & I am grateful for any one you puts effort into making education available. The -2 stars is due to complete absence of moderators leading to a defunct discussion. Also be aware that there are a lot of peer graded assignments. Which I think work well, but do mean more work than a lot of courses. In addition you must pass all tasks, which meant I actually failed the course by getting the second top mark you can get on the last assignment despite passing all the others (a fair bit of work put in),