Back to Grammar and Punctuation

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Grammar and Punctuation by University of California, Irvine

Course 1: Grammar and Punctuation Do you need to review English grammar? Have you forgotten the grammar you once studied? If so, this course is perfect for you. The first course in this specialization is a refresher on some tools needed for good writing. It will help prepare you for the other courses. You will need about 10 hours to complete this first course. Writing is a skill and to learn a skill well, you need to practice. In this course, you will watch short video lectures and then practice and discuss what you have learned. Make sure you take good notes and use the peer discussions to ask questions. Then you'll be able to remember the rules you learn in this course when you start writing essays in the next course. After completing this course, you will be able to: - identify the correct verb tenses to use - use commas effectively - utilize several different sentence types - write more effectively in English Please note that the free version of this class gives you access to all of the instructional videos and handouts. The peer feedback and quizzes are only available in the paid version....

OI

Jul 03, 2020

This course was very helpful. It refreshed my memories and made me go back to so many things I thought I would never remember. It helped my writing skills a lot to. A big thank you to the instructors.

AB

Jul 02, 2020

I am very satisfied with this course. It really helped me to improve my writing skills, and I am feeling more confident than I used to be.\n\nAfter this course, I am planning to take up the next one.

26 - 50 of 3,600 Reviews for Grammar and Punctuation

Jul 17, 2019

fine

By Carlos A S J G

Mar 14, 2016

In fact the course is fantastic. I'd say that is perfect, but it is not because requires payment to be assessment in the activities.

By maria r

Oct 07, 2019

Its a very basic course and I regret having paid 44 USD for it. I was expecting something more advanced. It goes at such a low pace, I would recommend it for someone who has no clue about english grammar or who is just learning the language. Not for someone who is looking for a more complex grammar used in academic writing.

By Timofey

Mar 09, 2016

A very weak course, gives very little knowledge of grammar, doesn't really explain quite a lot of things. If you are a first year primary school student, this course might be helpful, otherwise a complete waste of time.

By Sukanya R

Mar 29, 2020

This course enables you to overcome a lot of minor and major grammatical errors which we usually do in our life. I am happy that I decided to take this course for revising my present knowledge of the English language and for learning something new such as Parallel Structure and Sentence Variety, as well. The contents and the study materials that have been provided in this course is very informative, brief, and simple so that anyone, who knows little bits of English, can easily understand it.

Thank you for creating such an informational and worthy contents here!

By Farcaster C

Nov 06, 2018

The course help me under standing review helps with writing skill. I am a noob in this web site and this course too. I hope in the future that I master writing as well with the English grammar. My communication required grammar so the listener would understand me saying. Writing is more different than talking because you can see what you wrote. Right now my first lesson is introducing and review other which I don't know the finishing line. Probably two hour long. This course would teach you punctuation and maybe all writing skill to be a writer.

By Dmitry B

Dec 06, 2015

I enjoyed this course very much. Going into this course, my goal was to review English grammar and improve my writing. After finishing it, I feel like I accomplished that goal. I enjoyed concise and clear style of the videos and clarity of examples given in them. Assignments and exercises, although challenging at times, were of comfortable length and fun to do. Personally, this course helped me to become aware of the sentences I write, and gave me the tools to revise and edit my writings more efficiently on my own.

By Mohammed S

Apr 18, 2019

For me, this training course has clarified that how to use correct verb tenses, correct punctuation, good parallel structure, and good sentence variety ,better than before. Really participated in this session makes significant impact in my writing skills. In addition, driven by an awesome constriction of the lesson modules and excellent explanation of the instructor, I have became very passionate to enrolling in any advance classes. thank you very much for making education available for people across the world.

By Sheryl H

Jan 30, 2017

This course was wonderful. I learned new things about grammar and punctuation I don't recall learning in grade school while blending and improving my known knowledge. A tip for those thinking of just enrolling in one or two random courses of the five specialized courses, enroll in all. It is worth it even if you think you know. For instance, some of the papers in Advance Writing expect you to know some of the previous courses info and that could lead to some misunderstandings or struggles on quiz/peer reviews.

By Abhay P S R

May 14, 2020

First of all, I am very thankful to the Coursera team and the University of Colombia that they give me financial aid. Due to the financial aid that I received from the Coursera, I was able to learn a new skill that I wanted to learn for so long. This course is quite good and I learned many new things in this course. I requested to the Team Coursera and the University of Colombia that they give me aid for their next course so that I can learn the new skill fully.

By krishnendu b

May 14, 2020

With instructors delineated; easy to understand and well-designed lectures and numerous learning resources, from the very beginning till the end of the course I was able to learn a lot of things; moreover, I interacted with a very active and curious peer group, sometimes they corrected my errors and sometimes I did the same for them. looking forward to learning new things from this engaging website and to implement them in my life. Lastly thank you, Coursera.

By Anuj S

Jul 31, 2016

This course is beneficial for a person who wants to write well or to pursue career in writing. The teacher is very good. The course is very informative and productive. She prepared the course very well. Assignments and exercises will help you to learn things easily. Each and every second of lecture is worth to listen and they are very precise also. The professor has provided useful material which you can read later. I'm so glad that I took this course.

By Morelli G

May 08, 2020

In this course, I've learnt many things, which will be very useful, if not essential, when I'll have to do the writing part in my exams. Learning how to punctuate correctly is the key to succeed in the accademic world, so it worth the effort doing this course; besides, it isn't so long, so you can easily go through it and, therefore, learn at you leisure. In conclusion, I would recommend it, and you can take this review as an example of its usefulness.

By Muhammad S

Apr 29, 2019

It was a wonderful course. I not only enjoyed the course but also learned a lot. There are a few suggestions I would like to make:

1. Instead of using green or red color for correct or incorrect, please design tick for correct and cross for incorrect.

2. Quizzes don't have any explanation for their answers. I would be very beneficial for students if the correct version of the answers is also provided, which will help to clarify any misconception.

By Abdullah A M

Aug 29, 2017

This course was sweet and sour for me. It was sour, because, after each lesson, I came to know how shallow my skills were in English. On the other hand, it was sweet, as it guided me to overcome my mistakes in a non-intimidating way. Sometime I felt like, this course understands me very well. The lessons were well organized. And, there were additional materials after each lesson; they were instrumental for learning.

By Ajeet K R

May 22, 2020

This course was really awesome. This course cleared my lots of confusions like how to join sentences and that would be helpful for me in my academic life. But it creates lots of confusions that generates interest to take another course. The teaching style and presentations of Instructors of this course are really awesome. I enjoyed the course very much. Thanks to my lovely instructors and Coursera for this course.

By JulyWang

May 02, 2020

Thank you for all the information in this course. This is the first time that I clearly understand what is compound sentence and how to use comma. Even though I am still not perfectly flexible in controlling my sentence, I believe I have already improved a lot than my past. At the same time, reviewing peers' work is an extremely helpful way to test what I learnt and help to strengthen my study.

By Anahita H

Oct 04, 2019

The course was fantastic. Even though it seems simple and clear, but it includes all the essential elements in writing which I always have not paid too much attention to that. A perfect review on verb tenses, different types of all conjunctions, correct uses of punctuation, and a variety of sentence structures make the course unique and useful for everybody who wants to start academic writing.

By juliana g h

i would have liked to have received feedback not only from the other students but also from the teachers , but in my opinion the explanations were clear, the activities were easy to comprehend, and the comments i was able to make on the classmates works helped me to understand better what i was doing, and not just because the way i was writing felt right. overall it was a good experience

By Bayan S

Jun 12, 2018

This course was very helpful and beneficial. I've required a lot of important skills and knowledge that can help me produce correct and effective writings. I strongly recommend this course for anyone who'd like to improve their writing skills. In addition, I found the practice exercises were very related to the course material and very helpful to clarify what you've learned. Thank you.

By Haimunira

May 21, 2019

I have learned English for a while, but the learning process was not systmatical, and the courses was not taught by native speakers. By learning this course from Coursera, I knew both how to use comma and how to puncuate the sentence. Besides, my classmates were very friendly since they review my practices very patiently.

I like this course, BIG thanks for teachers and classmates.

By Felipe N

Jan 12, 2020

This course is AMAZING! I learned subjects I had never heard of in other courses and today I can write essays with the correct grammar. I want to finish all the blocks of the course to become a writing expert. It was worth every minute dedicated to this course. There are excellent teachers and there are several examples and exercises to do you understand the subject discussed.

By Yoe

Sep 27, 2017

This is an amazing course and I am going to take the next one in the same specialization. Through this course, I have learned four types of sentences, which helps us to have more varieties of paragraphs. Also, I have learned parallel structure and, basically, the formal use of punctuation. I believe that it is a lovely start and I will do better in my writing. Thanks a lot!

By Kim B

Feb 12, 2016

Absolutely brilliant. I really recommend this course if you need to brush up on your grammar and punctuation. I didn't study grammar at school, (many years ago) as it wasn't in the curriculum, however, this is an informative and yet interesting way to learn. The course provides you with videos, quizzes, and tests which help to embed the learning at your own pace.