Back to Grammar and Punctuation

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Grammar and Punctuation by University of California, Irvine

Course 1: Grammar and Punctuation Do you need to review English grammar? Have you forgotten the grammar you once studied? If so, this course is perfect for you. The first course in this specialization is a refresher on some tools needed for good writing. It will help prepare you for the other courses. You will need about 10 hours to complete this first course. Writing is a skill and to learn a skill well, you need to practice. In this course, you will watch short video lectures and then practice and discuss what you have learned. Make sure you take good notes and use the peer discussions to ask questions. Then you'll be able to remember the rules you learn in this course when you start writing essays in the next course. After completing this course, you will be able to: - identify the correct verb tenses to use - use commas effectively - utilize several different sentence types - write more effectively in English Please note that the free version of this class gives you access to all of the instructional videos and handouts. The peer feedback and quizzes are only available in the paid version....

MH
Nov 5, 2020

The course was so fascinating and it deserves everybody's time and effort. I have really enjoyed it and will confidently recommend it to anyone who is looking for a course on grammar and punctuations.

OI
Jul 2, 2020

This course was very helpful. It refreshed my memories and made me go back to so many things I thought I would never remember. It helped my writing skills a lot to. A big thank you to the instructors.

5276 - 5300 of 5,327 Reviews for Grammar and Punctuation

By Dominika S

Jan 15, 2021

Little about me so you can maybe compare yourself or whatever..: I am not native speaker. English is my second language; however, I learned english only in elementary school and in high school I´ve had Deutsch. In English class I mostly recieved grade 3 - I guess that is C, so I was never really good... Then I become self-taught learnen, who has a trouble with proper grammar when writing, so I choose this course...

VIDEO: First few videos were good, but soon I started to loose my interest because it was all the same. Videos were white background with text and after watching several videos, you start to get bored. I also felt that the things we already learned were repeated just too much. Like It´s okay to repeat and say it, but some of the information were said almost in every video... For me this course could be half of the original duration time.

EXERCISES: I am not sure if it was only my feeling or not ... but it looked like exercises from 2010. Really, really old... Not to mention, I actually couldn´t open a lot of them! Since I could open some of them and some not, I don´t think it was mistake on my part.

ASSIGNMENTS: You needed to write 3-5 sentences according the topic. It was fine but your grades depends on others (beginners, intermediate, fluent...). Then you need to review around 3 assignments of your classmates and wait until yours will be reviewed by them. I got through this part fine. However! There were assignments that were like 15 days old, which is ridiculous to wait that long! I think the course could be a lot better with small improvement... You get automatically some classmates to review (what I noticed, it was max 3 days old) and in the same time there were assignments waiting waaay longer, but you need to go, find and click on those. I tried to review those first because none should wait that long! The oldest assignments should go first.

Do I regret this course? Not really but I think there are better ones. I learned something, but I feel like I wasted my time a little and that is not a good feeling. Also I don´t regret it mostly because I have coursera plus. I think if I paid only for this course, I would be dissapointed if not pissed of.

Would I recommend this course to my friends? No. The lectures are mostly about using comma. Just read few articles, make few exercises, and you will save a lot of your time and money.

Thanks, and sorry for the gramma mistakes. I am still learning.d

By Elisa F

Aug 19, 2018

I believe this course might be helpful for English learners who have not yet grasped more specific areas of the language (such as different types of sentences) and for natives who haven't had much writing advice throughout their lives. I did learn new things, but they were often presented in a monotone and vague way, with few exercises and a weak approach. Moreover, the editing of the videos was outdated, which, as shallow as it may sound, contributed to my disengagement with this course.

There were, however, useful tips and rules I was not aware of, mostly because I tend to apply my native language's punctuation practices to English. Those were certainly a delight to learn, and I'm happy to have had access to it. Even so, I still believe most of it could have been taught more quickly through articles than a whole university-level course.

By Kaylee L

Dec 23, 2020

While this course did explain the technical aspects of the grammar covered, the examples they gave for each lesson were awkwardly worded and not natural at all. This coming from one of the only natural born English speakers that was taking the class.

By Pier P P

Dec 18, 2015

Contents are interesting and useful, even if the course deals with few topics. I think it is too expensive! A good grammar book is cheaper and more complete.

I would not enroll this course anymore.

By Rodrigo S

Jan 18, 2016

Poor visual communications, it should be better since it is the only way to follow the course.

Should be nice if the slides counted with a kind of animation to enphatize what we are talking about.

By Maxim M

Dec 18, 2016

Very good course! All explanations are clear and too powerful for understanding.

Two stars because all tests you can submit if purchase certificate.

By Xuejing L

Jul 6, 2016

The class itself is quite good. However you can not submit the Module Quiz without purchasing the certificate, which is quite annoying.

By Tahany h a

Aug 25, 2019

This course is very interesting and enjoyable .

I advise any one wanna learn english grammar to start with this course.

By Minhaz I K

Nov 18, 2016

It was a good course. But it doesn't worth the money. Paying $69 is just too much for this elementary course.

By Immanuel R

Jun 12, 2020

It is good, but still needs an improvement. It should be able to train the students in their profession

By Хакимов А Г

Dec 10, 2020

Курс не о чем. Пройти его очень легко, а знаний никаких не прибавилось.

By Christian S B

Jul 24, 2018

None of the practice exercises worked.

By Yuliia H

May 18, 2017

Extremely boring and not really useful

By deng x

Apr 12, 2020

too easy

By VIMIT V

Jul 10, 2020

Good

By Mohamed J

Mar 12, 2016

good

By Vic B

Sep 22, 2018

This course has been very frustrating. I have posted but have not received any peer reviews. I am auditing the course so I don't expect a certificate, but to not be able to have quizzes marked is annoying.

Now in week 3 I am expected to change my online viewing platform part way through the course. These annoyances are such that I am withdrawing from this course and will look to another source for this information.

I have really enjoyed Coursera programs that I have taken in the past, so I hope this course is anomaly and not the norm for other courses.

By Sergi M

Dec 16, 2016

Le doy una estrella porque los cuestionarios están cerrados a no ser que pagues, así que eso de "todos los contenidos del curso gratis" es mentira. Y si es un error, tampoco responden.

Aun así el curso es muy interesante y muy útil de cara a mejorar nuestra redacción en inglés. Vale la pena realizarlo aunque no podamos saber los resultados de los test y por tanto no podremos cerrar el curso, una lástima.

By Shalin A

Jun 26, 2020

This is awesome. every thing is so amazing, but the one thing I didn't like is the people who are not american or understand English well don't understand what the teachers are saying. the next thing that I didn't like is the test can be done only three times and if we didn't pass in three times then we need to wait eight hours to re do the test. the test are also too hard.

By Noemi H

I expected more from this course than what I can find on websites. It is disappointingly shallow. The course is very slow and fails to give a fuller picture. It is nothing like a university course should be. This sure doesn't help me become better at writing in English.

By Syed Y A

Aug 26, 2020

Nothing as I was expecting. Courses need to have more exercises rather than peer graded assignments. No one does the peer graded assignments properly which makes it a complete waste of time. Don't waste your money and time here.

By Brian C

Jan 4, 2020

Horrible subscription policy....

You stole my money....

How can you continuously extract money? Even I didn't take this course continuously. You should inform and stop the credit card billing... What the fuck worst policy!!!!