Back to Hadoop Platform and Application Framework

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Hadoop Platform and Application Framework by University of California San Diego

4.0

This course is for novice programmers or business people who would like to understand the core tools used to wrangle and analyze big data. With no prior experience, you will have the opportunity to walk through hands-on examples with Hadoop and Spark frameworks, two of the most common in the industry. You will be comfortable explaining the specific components and basic processes of the Hadoop architecture, software stack, and execution environment. In the assignments you will be guided in how data scientists apply the important concepts and techniques such as Map-Reduce that are used to solve fundamental problems in big data. You'll feel empowered to have conversations about big data and the data analysis process....

GM
Jan 31, 2016

I'm forced to give 5 stars. I don't want to have a certification on a poor quality course (another coursera mistake). This material needs tremendous amount of work to get finished and revised.

NP
May 15, 2020

Learned about Hadoop Ecosystem, limitations of map-reduce approach and Spark as a solution to overcome some of limitations.Thanks for giving me the opportunity to participate in this MOOC.

526 - 550 of 732 Reviews for Hadoop Platform and Application Framework

By juan m s

Feb 28, 2016

Is a good course but the explain should be best!

By Lakpa T B

Jan 27, 2016

very superficial, try to dig more on map reduce

By Anil P

Apr 30, 2016

there should be more programming assignments.

By Emanuele C

Apr 3, 2016

Good concepts but poorly organised exercises!

By Artur Ż

Dec 24, 2015

Interesting but material is of poor quality.

By Baber G

Mar 20, 2016

some professors did not prepare us well...

By Da C

Jan 14, 2016

The lecture is not that good as expected.

By Albert Z

Mar 5, 2016

Only superficial architecture overview.

By Guy B

Apr 24, 2016

Still quite basic - errors in quizzes

By Bipin K

Feb 8, 2016

Gives an reasonably good overview

By Sairam T

Sep 22, 2016

Its good. But can be much better

By Lichen N

Mar 16, 2016

unequal quality across modules

By Marcelo L

Sep 24, 2017

Very basic, but well written

By Michael W

Mar 8, 2017

Good not great...

By Herman C

May 29, 2016

Mildly useful.

By VINOTH R

Aug 28, 2018

Good

By Paula M

Nov 10, 2015

By Hong J

Jan 10, 2016

I enrolled in this big data specialization with high hopes, I had hoped that I could gain a basic but very solid understanding of the different components of the Hadoop framework, with some meaningful assignments. After taking the course, I feel it's not really worth the time or money (50+dollars for a course). I have detailed complaints as follows:

1, The course lists way too many simple concepts, and also very repetitive. For example the Hadoop components introduction was not only too long, it was even repeated in the following course Big Data Analytics, and the previous course 1. The examples in the demonstration was also too simple and again repetitive. The word count case was used many times. Can you imagine a programming course teaching you to write "Hello word!" in 10 different ways? This is exactly it. Overall I feel the courses have not been well designed, but rather rushed through. Having multiple teachers to teach the same course was also a bad idea in my opinion, because the following lecturer seems to have not much awareness of the details that the previous lecturer did or did not talk about, this was obviously shown in several repeating(again) introduction of concepts.

2, Not impressed with the lecturer's presentation skills either. They seem to mostly just talk/recite in front of a monitor and camera, reading their presentations. I feel they just rush through the presentation in a very steady pace. They don't even do the in class examples themselves, just show a few line of codes and a snapshot of the result. You have to figure out all the hidden pieces.

3, The assignments. They are not well thought of. Some of those questions do not present anything meaningful. It's like testing if you slept through the presentation or not, even if you did you just need to go back to the presentation file and look for the answer.

4, Not a big fan of the choice of several software. The course already introduces you to so many key components of the Hadoop ecosystem, why introduce even more that are just a small player in the system? Serious, why KNIME? Why not just focus on Spark in the machine learning course?

Final thought,

The course does provide a good introduction to the Hadoop ecosystem, I also find the Cloudera VM to be a very good tool for practicing and learning, saving you a lot of trouble to install the whole system on a linux system. The course that I learned something really useful was mostly the classes on Map/Reduce and Spark, and some SQL like assignments in Pig/Hive. I hope that the lecturers can further refine and condense the course materials, and put more value into this specialization.

By Penny A B

Mar 13, 2016

I’ve completed Course 1: Intro to Big Data. I’m currently on Course 2: Hadoop Platform and Application Framework. I still have the remaining courses to finish and I’m terribly worried that I will not be able to finish them due to lack of programming knowledge.

In the course specialization description, it specifically states, "Previous programming experience is not required! You will be guided through the basics of using Hadoop with MapReduce, Spark, Pig and Hive. By following along with provided code, you will experience how one can perform predictive modeling and leverage graph analytics to model problems." It also says, “Beginner Specialization. No prior experience required.”

It is impossible for me to complete the four assignments, Word count, Joining data, Simple join in Spark and Advanced join in Spark. I have no programming/developer background. There are no videos with screen shots to that walk me through the steps. It's massively confusing to me. Up until now, I've enjoyed the lessons and so far completed Intro to Big Data (loved this course), but Cloudera’s assignments are not doable for me. The forums aren’t useful, due to my lack of programming experience. I just don't understand. I posted a thread on Intro to MapReduce, requesting if UC San Diego provides expert tutoring for a fee, but noone responded.

In addition, unfortunately, Cloudera + all applications is full of never-ending errors, so experience in debugging these issues is essential and this is on top of just trying to learn the material as a first-timer. I'm thoroughly disappointed, as I was really looking forward to learning in this course and assumed because it specifically states that "no programming experience required," that we would be guided with no technical issues to contend with either. I paid for the entire specialization course, in advance as I was certain that I could do well based on the all course/module descriptions.

I hope for a solution, as I would really like to complete the certificate.

Penny Ann Barr

By Denise M

Jan 3, 2016

The quality of the course materials is sub-par. The five modules do not build up on one another. The first three spend a lot of time on the overall architecture of the Hadoop ecosystem, then the 5th module crams in Spark architecture and coding in one hurried module.

The quality of the videos is mediocre; the image of the instructor is often blocking the content on the slides so you can't read the whole slide, and the quality of the sound on some of the videos is of poor quality. Even the subtitles have obvious mistakes like "biplane" instead of "pipeline."

The instructions for the coding exercises are not well-organized, which make them harder to follow. The grader gives no feedback on an incorrect submission other than a generic "sorry, please get help from the forums" message.

Finally, there is almost no activity from TAs or other course staff on the forums. Many questions go unanswered.

This is all different from my previous experiences on Coursera, where the quality of the presentations and instruction and support from the course staff was top-notch.

I hope you can address these issues so this specialization can really offer quality content.

By Fabiana F d L

Mar 23, 2016

Tasks: step by step the tasks of week 4, was not designed clearly and required a certain knowledge in python language. It is essential to keep in mind that there are different levels of knowledge, by the students, some are beginners, like me - others have an experience of the intermediate and / or advanced.

Thus, it is essential not only to apply theory in the video, but that explain the function of each line and word of command, and to make statements in similar exercises to practice in cloudera environment, prior to the availing tasks notice. Just copy and paste the command line, does not help in learning. You need to understand why and what it is for, together with the completion of similar exercises.

I thought I would learn to practice, but at least in this module, was not what was presented.

I had hard, tried repeatedly perform exercíco of week 4, but without success. And in the forum, students were trying to help each other. There was no teacher or helper to help in this regard. How could not do from the time, I had to extend the course. And after, I could only do after numerous internet searches, as well as countless attempts.

By Ramon R

Jul 2, 2018

The content was good, the language clear but I was not satisfied with structure. There were several introductions missing, which were crucial for the success in this course. I was barely able to concentrate on the content. Most of my time, I spent on setting up the cloudera VM and Spark within it. I felt left alone with basically all programming assignments, as simple explanations and a go-to guide was missing. In these most important and difficult parts, much of the content was wrong and there was no sufficient guidance and help in the discussion forum as there was complete chaos.There was no clear communication, which knowledge is prerequisite, especially in dealing with consoles and VMs. The information on the Apache framework was too plain to miss these parts out.Recommendation: Check the course and correct the mistakes, for instance ipython is obsolete within cloudera and with jupyter in the python environment anway. Provide sufficient guidance on how VMs and Cloudera work. That's key in this course and you are completely left alone.

By Lucas S S

Jun 3, 2016

Some of the people presenting don't have really good didactic, The assignments are not consistent, some power point slides doesn't have enough information to be used as reference. In this case I would expect to have comments on them.

The programming assignments are frustrating, even with the correct result you have to keep guessing what is the format the auto-correct is expecting. In some assignments casting the value to INT will make the difference and you have to submit a line in others they ask for a line but actually only want a digit.

If I wasn't a programmer I would have probably had even more problems with their grading system. Since I knew my code was right I focused on guessing the format they expected rather then wasting time checking my program which probably many students will end-up doing even when they have the right result.

By Colby

Jun 20, 2016

Homework assignment instructions were poor and discussion forums are not active enough to provide much support. Some of the homework assignments required us to code certain functions that were not covered in course material, especially the code syntax. This made it near impossible for newbies to learn anything and pass. I spent most of my time Googling code syntax and had to teach myself. I am not happy that I paid Coursera money to teach/train me on this material when in the end I ended up teaching myself with the help of Google. I can do that any day for free, which I am close to considering. I have enrolled in multiple Coursera classes and have never had this big of an issue.