Back to How Things Work: An Introduction to Physics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for How Things Work: An Introduction to Physics by University of Virginia

An introduction to physics in the context of everyday objects....

MS
May 6, 2020

Mind blowing.. excellent study by Prof. Bloomfield. Hatsoff to you sir. Very excellent representation of physics concepts by taking interesting examples. Good Pesonalited Professor i have ever seen .

AV
May 9, 2020

It is a fabulous course.During the Entire Course I feel A Great Enthusiasm in my own.I loved this course..Thanks to profesor Louis A. Bloomfield & University of Virginia For there great contribution.

651 - 675 of 735 Reviews for How Things Work: An Introduction to Physics

By Meaghan L P

Jun 20, 2016

Great course! The instructor is funny and engaging.

One major disappointment is that the graded assignments are inaccessible unless you pay to earn a verified certificate. I do not like the idea of being forced to provide an ID and set up a webcam. That should be optional for those who want a certificate and not penalize those who are taking it just for the enjoyment of learning. I am only allowed to access the videos.

By Briona A

Jun 11, 2020

As a beginner to physics, I learned a lot in this class. Some of the quizzes didn't allow for me to see the answers after they were graded, so I couldn't go back and figure out why I got the answer wrong. At times it was difficult to make the connection between the quiz material and the class material. I would suggest that future classes discuss other scenarios so we can get a better understanding of the material.

By Marcy N

May 2, 2016

This course is excellent, mostly because its professor, Louis Bloomfield knows how to both entertain and teach to people who are not at all expert scientists or mathematicians. It's a lively class that keeps you engaged with his irreverent pedagogy. I do wish it would continue, however, so that I could have some lessons to accompany the rest of his text book!

By EVELYN D O P

Jun 3, 2020

It was very well explained but I didn't understand some of the questions in the final assessment. Like the one where the two kids jump off the dock. If the horizontal aspects of falling doesn't affect the vertical aspects of falling, they should've hit the water at the same time.

Other than that I think the course was insightful and easy to understand.

By Subham K

May 8, 2020

The lecture delivery was quite good as compared to other tutors and the idea of giving real life examples was a very good initiative by the professor.I learn most of the basic concepts of real physics after completing this course.In overall this is a very helpfull course of physics which every science student should prefer.

By Maria T

May 12, 2020

An absolutely lovely professor who makes you smile during the lectures. Nice layout, everything is presented in a clear and structured manner. Only problem was that some of the quizzes didn't accept the correct answer during the first submission. Would recommend to beginner who want to learn the basics behind mechanics

By Mārtiņš S

Feb 9, 2018

The course was really useful to understand how exactly works already learned physics laws. This was not only about calculations but overall understanding, too.

One thing - often many parts in videos were too extended for quite easy understandable things

By Leila W

Apr 25, 2017

I really liked your course. One thing that I think would be great is that if you could add questions on the video about the definition of a term, by opposing it with another term. Example: Weight vs Force, or Net Force vs Frictional force.

By guy s

Aug 27, 2015

The course is very practical, and gives many great every-day tools for understanding how things work. Nevertheless, I feel it lacks mathematical references. For example, I would like to see proofs, examples with actual numbers and etc.

By Nate D

Mar 26, 2021

Really enjoyed this course! Found professor goofy but engaging and very excited about the material which helped make Physics enjoyable. Great to learn (broadly) the laws that govern how things work without having to do the math!

By Alex

Jul 8, 2020

Extremely well made. I'n not part of the demographics usually interested in physics, but thanks to this course I've started adoring the subject. Sadly, the quizzes have to be paid for me to be able of submitting them.

Old MSCE (with PE) who found this a challenging refresher course of material I have forgotten I ever knew.

Entertaining presentations that were well worth the effort in my opinion.. Good luck with grants under Trump.

By Sara F V

A simple and fun course to learn and consolidate older knowledge.

It is noticeable that the professor likes what he is doing and knows how to transmit the message properly through mundane examples.

By Gursaajan S

May 8, 2020

Lou Bloomfield is very instructor , overall course is an amazing and quick revision to all the basic things of physics .The video length should be little shorter , overall its an amazing course .

By vincent l

Sep 23, 2016

this course brings to me a explanatory answers to the ordinary physical works surrounding us, i can say that is a fundamental stuff for beginner who love physics. It's naturally good.

By Hilliard D

Sep 9, 2021

Good day to you.

The course is well prepared and implemented. I would give it 4 stars but in doing so it would leave no reason to always do better.

Great class/course

By Charlotte M

Feb 28, 2021

I enjoyed the course and appreciated the presentation of material and the quizzes. I hope that Professor Bloomfield is able to add more courses on How Things Work.

By Al-Mahdi S

Such a great course, I really enjoyed watching the experiments with Dr, Louis Bloomfield, he taught the course in a simplified way. Thanks a lot.

By Emil

Jun 9, 2020

The course is a mixture between - a tv show "The Big Bang Theory" and a Young Scientist "thing". Anyways it is appropriate for adolescents.

By Amelia C Z

Nov 20, 2019

The concepts may be a little repetitive and boring, but they create a sense of understanding somewhat lacking in other learning resources.

By Matthew A D

It is too basic for me, but sometimes reminders of basics are still a good thing. As the explanations provided were very clear and good

By Mohammad I H

Aug 26, 2020

I have a lots of fun while taking this course. this proffessor is great and so energetic while teaching. thanks for a great course

By Kuna R

Apr 28, 2020

A Wonderful experience for me, l enjoyed very much the course of basic physics. Thank you very much Louis bloom field sir.

By Patrick W

Apr 5, 2020

He can over-explain some simple topics and some of the questions are oddly written. Other than that, it is a good course.

By Masoud H A

Oct 23, 2020

A good refresher on some of the principles of physics that were easily forgotten since the high school graduation date.