Back to How Things Work: An Introduction to Physics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for How Things Work: An Introduction to Physics by University of Virginia

An introduction to physics in the context of everyday objects....

HR

Excellent Course for someone who seeks to learn Physics and its applications. Professor Bloomfield is Exceptional as he explains concepts with practical examples. Definitely a highly worthy course!!!

AV
May 9, 2020

It is a fabulous course.During the Entire Course I feel A Great Enthusiasm in my own.I loved this course..Thanks to profesor Louis A. Bloomfield & University of Virginia For there great contribution.

51 - 75 of 728 Reviews for How Things Work: An Introduction to Physics

By Tomi J A

Aug 2, 2020

A good certificate-level introduction to classical mechanics.

By S K U

GOOD

By Jennifer S

Nov 22, 2019

I sometimes felt a bit diminished by the professor. He was talking to us as if we were young kids that did not know anything. The information was good but provided in a way that was rather annoying. Also very onesided course that only provided information through videos. No reading, writing or discussions with other students. I am not sure I learned a lot therefore.

By 吴秀森

Nov 14, 2016

I am from China.I think the courses is easy for a senior high school students. The vidio is too long.it is better to make it short.At all,thank you for your wonderful teaching!

By Eraraya M M

Nov 20, 2020

The course is fun, but the explanation and quiz become not very clear. This introduction doesn't use any notation or math, and it should be at the beginner level.

By Maymoonah B O

Nov 22, 2018

the problem is that you have to pay to submit quizzes otherwise it is very good.

By Josue R

Oct 20, 2017

se ve interesante, pero cuesta mucho con los cuestionarios en ingles y las traducciones al español; deberían mejor la traducción general al español latino :)

By ron r

Feb 14, 2016

it so boring

By Nokyee C

Aug 10, 2020

The course is amazing. I am not very sure about the reason for the different direction of the static frictional force regarding the front and rear wheel, and I have find other online resource to fill that part. Therefore, some emphasis could be added to different that two will be great. Beside, the question regarding the tide and the kinetic energy of the Earth rotational motion is not very easy to understand, I still cannot understand that till now, therefore it will also be great if some explanation or adjustment is added to the Week 6: Wheels chapter. After all, it is a great course, as I am totally new to physic, and I understand almost all the part from the video. Also I love the quizzes in between the video and at the end of each week, they make me know that what I have learnt, and what I have not.

By Larry J

Sep 16, 2015

It has been many years since I've had a physics course. I've got a doctorate in another field. I've been looking into bio-mechanical interfaces and felt that I needed to review some basic physics without all the hassle of a formal course and with the option of skipping around if I felt the material was too basic. The lecture series allowed me to quickly and easily review some basic concepts without a formal structure.

I also have to say Dr. B. did a terrific job of translating some potentially daunting concepts into enjoyable yet serious teaching metaphors. A seriously fantastic job. Obviously, as noted the gradient lecture series has some personal interest and I think that you might consider some introduction to matter.

By Carlos O

Nov 30, 2020

This course is awesome to really understand 'how things work'. This is not a regular physics course, it has not a bunch of formulas, but it is much more focused on connecting important (and basic) physics concepts, so that a solid base can be built to understand from where those bunch of formulas and stuff came from as well as how they are related to each other. It is noticeable that Prof. Lou and his team put a great effort on putting all these together and the result, in my opinion, was great. I look forward to attend the second piece, hopefully covering Relativity and the third one, covering Quantum Mechanics! Thank you for making this available. :)

By Giannina Z

Sep 24, 2020

Excellent course. If you did not go down the path of science in college and the last time you took a Physics class was in high school (and perhaps you did not learn much back then because of a really bad teacher like I did) do yourself a favor and take this course. I always wonder about a lot of things I observe around me, but I never had the time or motivation to take a formal class. The passion Prof. Lou has when explaining concepts each week in layman's terms is truly inspirational. Too bad that the University of Virginia has not provided him with adequate support as to launch a second series for this course. I would enroll in a heartbeat.

By Tami M

Nov 19, 2017

This course is glorious. I never thought my mind could understand physics because throughout school, it was just esoteric. I had MANY questions about theories and their application, but felt like my questions were stupid and clearly I just wasn't cut out for the subject. But now to have those misunderstandings cleared up, to have my eyes opened to physics in my daily world, to get to grips with physics sans formulae - it's almost magical. A very, very masterful crafted course as well - thought-provoking questions, structuring the modules themselves around key, practical questions, the physical illustrations - it's great. Thank you!

By Nafi C

Dec 29, 2020

Lou is amazing. Genuinely, he is a great professor. I've never taken physics and wanted to get a basic understanding of some of it before I ended up taking it in college since I'm Pre-Medicine. Lou makes physics both fun and understandable through his fun teaching videos. Wish I could have him in person as my teacher, haha! Although the content can be very confusing and difficult, that's just the actual physics portion, but there's no real calculation or math in this course, it's more of just understanding concepts and "how" things happen or "why" things act in certain ways. Great course, was lengthy though!

By Maryann X

Jul 24, 2020

I did poorly in my AP Physics class in high school and thought that I would never be able to understand physics. After taking Professor Bloomfield's class, however, I was properly introduced to the wonderful world of physics and began to truly appreciate the subject. Instead of reciting formulas and learning theories, this class teaches you concepts applicable to everything around you. Professor Bloomfield is an exceptional professor who constantly keeps you engaged and entertained in class while imparting you with knowledge that you'll carry with you wherever you go.

By Shaurya R

Jul 6, 2020

Professor Louis . A Bloomfield is a very enthusiastic and funny teacher. I love and appreciate his hard work and find his teachings very useful and understandable. He is a very fabulous and fantastic physics professor I enjoyed watching his videos and learned a lot. I could connect very easily with him. Really you are a wonderful teacher/professor. Don't have enough words to describe how much I enjoyed your videos. I am looking forward to continuing with season 2 of How Things Work.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THIS FANTASTIC COURSE, SIR!

By Dr. S S R

Apr 8, 2020

I would like to recommend the course to anyone who want to understand the world around us. It will definitely change the way you see world around you. The magic is you do not need any math proficiency. One more thing which is commendable is amount of effort the Prof. has made to design the questions. Kudos to Prof. Bloomfield for all the effort he has made to make physics accessible to everyone. One thing I want to suggest is to use more universal terminologies and not limited to people of American origin. Waiting for season 2 :)

By Christian B

Apr 12, 2019

I thoroughly enjoyed taking this course. As a hands-on, technical trades type learner, this class was like spending some time wandering around the hardware store of science. I don't know how to use all of the tools yet, but I feel that this class was a perfect, accessible way of learning about what tools are out there! It has definitely inspired me to continue pursuing knowledge in physics, and I would love to see How Things Work: Part 2. Thank you Lou Bloomfield, for the work you put into this class. It was a pleasure!

By Jeannette J

This course was really amazing. I've always wanted to learn physics, but it is an intimidating subject. I only got 30% on the pre-exam. Some concepts were easier than others to grasp. For some reason, friction and momentum were much easier than the other parts for me. The visual examples really helped solidify my understanding of the concepts, and I liked the real-world applications. I managed to get a 97% on the final exam. That is a testament that the training was successful.

By Kianti S

Aug 10, 2020

One of the best courses I've ever taken! Professor Louis A. Bloomfield really did a great job in simplifying all of the concepts without sacrificing all of its important aspects. His effort relly shows through out the whole course. His enthusiasm and the way he showcased each concept through actual objects really made it easier for me to understand and retain the informations. I will recommend this course for anyone who wants gain a solid foundation of basic knowledge on Physics.

By Lovina N

Jul 30, 2020

I am kind of a run from numbers person. And in school most of the physics we learnt included a considerable amount of calculations. But this course brought back my curiosity for the subject... And all the credit goes to Prof. Bloomfield. He made these seemingly scary concepts unbelievably easier through his evident love for teaching. I have stopped so many times to share some parts with my friends. It was an amazing experience to learn here. Will definitely take a part 2 class!

By SRINIDHI R

Oct 25, 2017

This course was an amazing learning experience. It was definitely easy for me as I already am pursuing my undergrad in Physics. I did this since my syllabus lacked mechanics. The course is highly practical and visual, so you perfectly understand concepts, and you'll never forget them.

Regardless of what you study in college or use at work, I'd recommend anyone to take this up because not only was it fun, but it is important that we know How Things Work around us!

By Cassie G

Aug 2, 2020

Louis makes this course enjoyable and understandable. He explains things in easy to understand terms, uses a variety of demonstrations that effectively illustrate the processes he is verbally explaining, and it is never boring listening to him talk. He's very expressive and animated, which I appreciate greatly. Louis: thank you so much for offering this (FULL) course on coursera.com! I learned a lot and did not break my bank account, which was awesome :)

By Ararat R A

Sep 6, 2020

This is extraordinary and brilliant course. I love this course very much and this is one of my most favourite courses. I learned so many things from this course. It taught me how and why objects near us work and the basic subjects of physics. I am eager for season two and want stay connected with it. It is an excellent course and it is very useful to learn physics. This course really needs more seasons to help us learn more. Thanks to professor Lou!

By umer w

Jun 20, 2020

professor lou beautifully explains the everyday physics around us. he clearly demonstrates each and every experiment and then explains it in the easiest way possible. the way he teaches makes a the learner more interested in physics and not only does this course increases ones knowledge but gives you a clear insight that how the things that we take for granted, actually works. i am thankful to coursera and professor lou for this amazing course.