Back to The Brain and Space

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Brain and Space by Duke University

This course is about how the brain creates our sense of spatial location from a variety of sensory and motor sources, and how this spatial sense in turn shapes our cognitive abilities. Knowing where things are is effortless. But “under the hood,” your brain must figure out even the simplest of details about the world around you and your position in it. Recognizing your mother, finding your phone, going to the grocery store, playing the banjo – these require careful sleuthing and coordination across different sensory and motor domains. This course traces the brain’s detective work to create this sense of space and argues that the brain’s spatial focus permeates our cognitive abilities, affecting the way we think and remember. The material in this course is based on a book I've written for a general audience. The book is called "Making Space: How the Brain Knows Where Things Are", and is available from Amazon, Barnes and Noble, or directly from Harvard University Press. The course material overlaps with classes on perception or systems neuroscience, and can be taken either before or after such classes. Dr. Jennifer M. Groh, Ph.D. Professor Psychology & Neuroscience; Neurobiology Duke University www.duke.edu/~jmgroh Jennifer M. Groh is interested in how the brain process spatial information in different sensory systems, and how the brain's spatial codes influence other aspects of cognition. She is the author of a recent book entitled "Making Space: How the Brain Knows Where Things Are" (Harvard University Press, fall 2014). Much of her research concerns differences in how the visual and auditory systems encode location, and how vision influences hearing. Her laboratory has demonstrated that neurons in auditory brain regions are sometimes responsive not just to what we hear but also to what direction we are looking and what visual stimuli we can see. These surprising findings challenge the prevailing assumption that the brain’s sensory pathways remain separate and distinct from each other at early stages, and suggest a mechanism for such multi-sensory interactions as lip-reading and ventriloquism (the capture of perceived sound location by a plausible nearby visual stimulus). Dr. Groh has been a professor at Duke University since 2006. She received her undergraduate degree in biology from Princeton University in 1988 before studying neuroscience at the University of Michigan (Master’s, 1990), the University of Pennsylvania (Ph.D., 1993), and Stanford University (postdoctoral, 1994-1997). Dr. Groh has been teaching undergraduate classes on the neural basis of perception and memory for over fifteen years. She is presently a faculty member at the Center for Cognitive Neuroscience and the Duke Institute for Brain Sciences at Duke University. She also holds appointments in the Departments of Neurobiology and Psychology & Neuroscience at Duke. Dr. Groh’s research has been supported by a variety of sources including the John S. Guggenheim Foundation, the National Institutes of Health, the National Science Foundation, and the Office of Naval Research Young Investigator Program, the McKnight Endowment Fund for Neuroscience, the John Merck Scholars Program, the EJLB Foundation, the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, the Whitehall Foundation, and the National Organization for Hearing Research....

TB
Sep 8, 2020

I like the details that this course provides about the functionality of the brain. Dr Groh definitely took her time to prepare this course, and she likes to go in depth detail about everything.

TZ
Aug 15, 2020

One of the best Neuroscience courses took in my life. The professor is very good at teaching and amazing personality and her research team is very great. Hope one day she would win Nobel Prize

26 - 50 of 148 Reviews for The Brain and Space

By Simonov O

May 28, 2017

An excellent course that helps to better understand the complex functions of the brain. It covers some areas which were not discussed in the Medical Neuroscience Course by Duke University. Unfortunately, this course ended very quickly. I would like to learn more.

By Manvi J

Apr 5, 2020

This course was really fun with so many exciting elements like the Eyeballs Head Cap, interesting videos like that of VS Ramachandran, many studies were introduced, all that stuff made it really easy and pleasant. Such a teacher is a bliss. Cheers to Ms Groh!

By Karthik S K

Jul 25, 2016

No words to describe Dr.Groh's amazing lectures. A Must do session for those people, who are not only interested in neuroscience, but had the curiosity to wonder about our brains contemplating our world and also contemplating itself contemplating the world!

By Dr. V V I

Sep 3, 2020

Dear Dr. Jennifer M. Groh, Ph.D ,Its wonderful session .mid of the session i was feeling to leave afterwords I thought I should learn.Quiz questions were twisting .I made my mind to complete it.

Thank you for giving beautiful knowledge.Regards Dr.Vijay

By Zeel B G

Aug 5, 2019

This course helped me understand my brain better. And being a psychology student and learning cognitive psychology it gave me answers to many of my unsolved questions. Now whenever i look at something my brain automatically traces back to these videos.

By Lynn D B

Mar 1, 2021

I really enjoyed this learning experience. The instructor had a great way of presenting information, and went at a good pace that was comfortable for learning something completely new to me. Great use of visual aids and videos. Excellent course!

By Poroykova K

Jan 16, 2020

Course is well structured. The information is clear and lectures from next week logically add more completeness to the understanding of the topic. I liked that the course was short, it was easier for me to find the time. Thank you all!

By ADITI M S

Jul 5, 2020

A stunning introduction for anyone even remotely interested in neuroscience. The course is very enjoyable and keeps you engaged at all times. I often found myself looking forward to Dr. Groh's lectures in the middle of the week.

By Anand R U

May 4, 2020

This course was very special to me, as a kid I always wondered how we think (thoughts). I can definetly say that I got to know the toolkit that actually happens in the Brain. Loved and enjoyed every seeison by Professor J. Groh

By saikat c

Aug 4, 2021

Had excellent experience in learning such a complex subject. The way Dr. Groh described various concepts are not only easy to understand but also, stimulating and thought provoking to form a base for further learning.

By Fisico R B

Jun 5, 2017

Magnifico curso, como Físico y estudiante de Psicología me ha servido mucho y espero que resuelva mis dudas, sobre como el cerebro representa al Espacio, Gracias a la Dra. Jennifer Goth y a la Universidad de Duke.

By Iliana P M V

Sep 21, 2020

me fascino todo lo que aprendi, muchisimas gracias a la profesora, a la universidad de Duke y a Coursera por permitirme aprender tanto. Definitivamente me descargare el libro para aprender mucho mas sobre el tema

By marc k

Jun 1, 2020

course was very well taught, numerous references for further study, engaging by someone who conveys the passion she has for the subject. also challenged you to think (separating your brain and thoughts)

By Tihi M B

Sep 8, 2020

By Thet T Z

Aug 16, 2020

By Rogerio d L e S

Aug 13, 2016

Great course! I recommend to all who yearn for differentiated superior knowledge, which will surely make a difference in your curriculum. Part of Pure Neurociencia. I recommend !!!

By Pradip M

Mar 19, 2021

A very detailed well presented course on a very difficult subject.

I struggled through many parts but persisted with the challenges.

Whew what a relief.

By 孙国怀

Mar 10, 2021

I'm very proud to learing this course, I think that's let me understand lots of knowledge about brain and how we thinking.

Thank you, Dr . Jennifer Groh

By Roberto C

Mar 31, 2019

Enlightening, stimulating, perfect blend of top notch content and understandable videos. Thanks Prof. Groh!!! One of my best courses ever (on/off line)

By Jorge G A

Feb 2, 2021

Excelente curso para adentrarte a la neuropsicología y la Dra. Groh realiza muy buenas explicaciones y ejemplos que facilitan el aprendizaje.

By Renugadevi K

It was really interesting lectures. The quiz session was really a motivating task to do and make us to study in depth in future

By Gautam T

Fantastic experience. The instructor took extremely hard concepts and explained them in an excellent and understandable manner.

By Archana

Mar 24, 2021

It was a very interesting and thought-inducing course. The experiments also made it highly interactive. It was time well spent

By 오승현

Jul 21, 2019

Because i had this class, i could have heard about the information about the brain for the space and that's very good for me.

By Kajol V S

if only I had as many as a 100 stars to rate this course, yet I'd have wished for even more stars to increase the ratings!