Back to Human Rights for Open Societies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Human Rights for Open Societies by Utrecht University

Human rights are under pressure in many places across the globe. Peaceful protests are violently quashed. Voting is tampered with. And minorities are often excluded from decision-making. All of this threatens the ideal of an open society in which each of us can be free and participate equally. A solid protection of human rights is needed for an open society to exist and to flourish. But it is often an uphill battle to work towards that ideal. Equip yourself and learn more about what human rights are and how they work. In this course, we will introduce you to one of the world’s most intricate human rights systems: the European Convention on Human Rights. You will see when and how people can turn to the European Court of Human Rights to complain about human rights violations. You will learn how the Court tries to solve many of the difficult human rights dilemmas of today. We will look, amongst other things, at the freedom of expression and demonstration, the right to vote, and the prohibition of discrimination. And we will address the rights of migrants, refugees, and other vulnerable groups. And, of course, we will see whether it is possible to restrict rights and if so under what conditions. You will even encounter watchdogs and ice cream in this course. We invite you to follow us on a journey of discovery into the European Convention!...

DM

Jun 11, 2017

Very good to find out the basics. What are human rights, what they represent and in which way we should interpret them. Also, it has an easy language so you don't need law school or other studies.

SG

Jun 19, 2017

This has been a great introduction to the European Convention and Court of Human Rights. It has really helped deepen understanding of the treaty and how the court functions.

1 - 25 of 44 Reviews for Human Rights for Open Societies

By Alara D

Dec 20, 2018

Thank you for this great opportunity!

By stephen: m

Feb 01, 2019

Happy

By Vasilis K

Jan 11, 2019

In depth review of ECHR and case law, with amazing tutors.

By YALCIN O

Mar 03, 2019

I find this subject very very important. The course is great for everyone who want to learn something about human rights and open democracy relationship. The content of the course is not boring, and there are many examples from real life that help us to understand better. I strongly advice to everyone.

By Ssenteza M

Aug 22, 2018

Well researched

By Miguel E

Aug 22, 2018

excelente curso y forma de impartirlo.-

By kamran s

Aug 31, 2018

Thanks to all the administrators of this course

It was my wish

By Antonija P P

Jun 19, 2017

Amazing for all the beginners. The course has very clear structure, which enables you to connect all the topics. Very clear lectures and quizzes that help you with further understanding. Wish they would have also some more advanced courses.

By Alina A

Dec 30, 2016

This course is an excellent guide to the problems and benefits of human rights within open society!

By Veysel D

Dec 25, 2016

excellent

By Ola H

Dec 25, 2016

great course..

By Joseph J A

Jun 19, 2017

An excellent introduction to Human Rights in an inclusive and Open Society. I have learned a lot about the basic rights that ALL human beings have irrespective of the countries they reside in. All states have an obligation to ensure that those human rights are protected at all cost and in the best interests of each and every citizen and non-citizen!

By BARIŞ A

Sep 19, 2017

I have learned so many things thanks for your cooperation and education best regards..

By Anna W

Jun 12, 2017

The course is prepared very well, professional. Knowledge served in a very accessible way. I started with a basic level and I'm glad that I've done all the lessons.

By maritza c

Oct 16, 2017

Excellent

By Tamara

Dec 14, 2016

It is a interesting course, which is clear and good to follow.

By Brad W

Dec 27, 2016

Great course! The format was accessible and I learned a lot

By Ahmer J K

Feb 20, 2017

Excellent course!

By Shabana G

By Aybüke A

Jun 23, 2017

I loved that it was a great summary and also the quality of the materials were also impressive

By María I P

Oct 18, 2017

It is an excellent opportunity to learn about human rights and acknowledge its importance within a democracy. The lectures are thorough, supported by materials of great quality, as well as experienced intructors.

By sara a

Mar 24, 2018

I have been very pleased with my presence within your educational group and I have benefited greatly from the information, considering that my field of architecture studies is not well versed in this field so you have opened our eyes to some important concepts that we need in our lives and especially in these days the days of war that our cities are facing

By Tri I Z

Mar 20, 2017

I really like this subject, it comprehend my knowledge especially about human rights. Thank you.