Back to Human Rights for Open Societies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Human Rights for Open Societies by Utrecht University

Human rights are under pressure in many places across the globe. Peaceful protests are violently quashed. Voting is tampered with. And minorities are often excluded from decision-making. All of this threatens the ideal of an open society in which each of us can be free and participate equally. A solid protection of human rights is needed for an open society to exist and to flourish. But it is often an uphill battle to work towards that ideal. Equip yourself and learn more about what human rights are and how they work. In this course, we will introduce you to one of the world’s most intricate human rights systems: the European Convention on Human Rights. You will see when and how people can turn to the European Court of Human Rights to complain about human rights violations. You will learn how the Court tries to solve many of the difficult human rights dilemmas of today. We will look, amongst other things, at the freedom of expression and demonstration, the right to vote, and the prohibition of discrimination. And we will address the rights of migrants, refugees, and other vulnerable groups. And, of course, we will see whether it is possible to restrict rights and if so under what conditions. You will even encounter watchdogs and ice cream in this course. We invite you to follow us on a journey of discovery into the European Convention!...

DM

Jun 10, 2017

Very good to find out the basics. What are human rights, what they represent and in which way we should interpret them. Also, it has an easy language so you don't need law school or other studies.

RP

Jun 25, 2022

I am really thankful to Utrecht University for providing me with an opportunity to learn this course. I am hopeful that this is going to help me further in my new career path. Thank you so much.

1 - 25 of 114 Reviews for Human Rights for Open Societies