Back to Introduction to Imagemaking

Introduction to Imagemaking, California Institute of the Arts

About this Course

This course for serious makers, and for students new to imagemaking. Imagemaking is a fluid and exciting area of graphic design that comes out of practice and process: experimenting fearlessly, showing and sharing ideas, and giving and receiving knowledgeable and constructive input. For the sake of this online platform, we have applied some structure to our investigations, but for the most part imagemaking is loose and unstructured. If we must adopt a rule in this course it is only this: you will not become a graphic designer by watching videos alone. Or, don't just make stuff just in your head. So here, the focus here is on making, and you are expected to devote serious time and intellectual energy to that activity in this course. Specifically, you will: - experiment with a range of materials and techniques to make images for graphic design - expand your visual vocabulary both in terms of making and talking about work, in order to discuss your work and work of others - learn how to make, manipulate and arrange images to create compositions, eventually culminating in the design and production of an-image-based book. The first half of the course is an opportunity to experiment and explore imagemaking in order to expand your visual vocabulary. You will create pieces that are expressive, meditative, or 'design-y' to instigate, evoke, experiment, record, explain, or try out a media. In the second two weeks, we’ll invite the images to deliberately and intentionally carry meaning and communication through relational moves like juxtaposition, composition, and context. We’ll look at developing and expanding the range of approaches for putting things together by composing page spreads with your images. Since nothing exists without context, we look at how to intentionally drive the image’s connotations, meanings, and associations generated through elements of composition and “visual contrasts.” Ultimately, we will take the images that you create and make a book from them. The results of your assignments (and experiments) may generate something completely unknowable now or in the future—and that's the goal....

By LC

Oct 09, 2017

I'm so happy i did this course. Gail, you're amazing and you made my imagination go wild with just your words. I can see you love your craft and that's very inspiring. Enjoyed this course all the way!

By RJ

Aug 19, 2018

This is more challenging that it seems. It forces you to think creatively and critically with a seemingly simple subject. I recommend this course for anyone who wants to work with their hands a bit

243 Reviews

By Samantha Ferello

Mar 11, 2019

This was a great course. It helped me commit to an idea and follow through with it over the course of th four weeks. It also helped me to think outside the box and not be afraid to start imagemaking from scratch and build on it through practice and experimentation.

By 瞿睿

Mar 09, 2019

I really appreciate the listed styles and artist in week 2. It really helps for people who likes modern art but do not know that many excellent artists.

By Benjamin gonzalez

Mar 09, 2019

Good start for anyone trying to learn image making techniques and zines.

By Julie Shurley

Mar 08, 2019

This course seemed really right brained and artsy - which I guess was the point. I'm used to a lot more structure and instruction. But I really had fun with the course and assignments. I learned a lot about what I could do in imagemaking that I really had never explored before.

By Alexandra Kalliope Müller

Mar 06, 2019

I't was good

By Manuel Andrés Ruiz Suárez

Feb 18, 2019

Very practical

By Mariel Glenda Leister

Feb 01, 2019

I learned a lot from this course, especially in the last assignment.

By Tina Lee Odinsky Zec

Jan 28, 2019

I felt this was a very challenging and stimulating course. It relies like many great courses in this series on peer reviews. I think the course is designed extremely well, I just wish there was more interaction/feedback from the teaching staff.

By Joy Smith

Jan 13, 2019

Good, practical course

By sayed khalil naqawi

Dec 18, 2018

good course but need a lil more resource. thank you