Back to Introduction to Imagemaking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Imagemaking by California Institute of the Arts

This course for serious makers, and for students new to imagemaking. Imagemaking is a fluid and exciting area of graphic design that comes out of practice and process: experimenting fearlessly, showing and sharing ideas, and giving and receiving knowledgeable and constructive input. For the sake of this online platform, we have applied some structure to our investigations, but for the most part imagemaking is loose and unstructured. If we must adopt a rule in this course it is only this: you will not become a graphic designer by watching videos alone. Or, don't just make stuff just in your head. So here, the focus here is on making, and you are expected to devote serious time and intellectual energy to that activity in this course. Specifically, you will: - experiment with a range of materials and techniques to make images for graphic design - expand your visual vocabulary both in terms of making and talking about work, in order to discuss your work and work of others - learn how to make, manipulate and arrange images to create compositions, eventually culminating in the design and production of an-image-based book. The first half of the course is an opportunity to experiment and explore imagemaking in order to expand your visual vocabulary. You will create pieces that are expressive, meditative, or 'design-y' to instigate, evoke, experiment, record, explain, or try out a media. In the second two weeks, we’ll invite the images to deliberately and intentionally carry meaning and communication through relational moves like juxtaposition, composition, and context. We’ll look at developing and expanding the range of approaches for putting things together by composing page spreads with your images. Since nothing exists without context, we look at how to intentionally drive the image’s connotations, meanings, and associations generated through elements of composition and “visual contrasts.” Ultimately, we will take the images that you create and make a book from them. The results of your assignments (and experiments) may generate something completely unknowable now or in the future—and that's the goal....

ID

May 22, 2019

Very useful course. Really puts you to practice. I learned a lot and feel encouraged to continue. Reviewing other peer's work was inspiring and gave me fresh ideas about what I could have done better.

LC

Oct 09, 2017

I'm so happy i did this course. Gail, you're amazing and you made my imagination go wild with just your words. I can see you love your craft and that's very inspiring. Enjoyed this course all the way!

126 - 150 of 394 Reviews for Introduction to Imagemaking

By Salem F A

Sep 22, 2019

very good course for beginners to learn how to make-images and learn about image components and composition.

By Maged E S

Oct 03, 2018

Very Beautiful course that you so much for your efforts! I really appreciate everything! God bless you all.

By Sandeep M

Jun 11, 2019

So thankful to learn from such renowned and talented teachers. Thanks for the course, thank you Coursera!.

By Juachi O

Sep 22, 2017

Great course to help learn about images in composition and critical looks at planning and creating images.

By Kevin J

Aug 26, 2017

Loved the course, really enjoyed the Image making and learning about image interpretations and expressions

By Yudi Y S

Jun 03, 2020

I gained a lot of experience in this course! I make my first book by this course, This course is great!

By Muhammad A Y

Jan 31, 2018

i really thankful to coursera to give me this opportunity learn about specialization in graphics design

By Egle H

Dec 13, 2019

Learned a lot and discovered some things about myself that O didn't know. Thank you for this course.

By Eugen M

Aug 20, 2016

A very good course, not just for those who want to become experts, but also for those who know more.

By Mariana M

Jun 12, 2018

Truly change my vision of design, the meaning of visual communication and composition.Thank you

By Ebba J

Nov 23, 2016

Wonderful course, interesting lessons, great assignments, fun to do, authentic artist teacher.

By Syed F R

Jul 30, 2020

So much things I have learn in this course. Its a fantastic plat forum for knowledge seekers.

By Huda N

Apr 01, 2019

I really Enjoyed this course, made me get out of my comfort zone and think outside the box.

By Diana-Mihaela S

Sep 11, 2016

I really loved the teaching method, fluid and in tune with any artist`s budding creativity!

By Zuzana P

Oct 09, 2016

It was really challenging, and interesting course. I wish I had more time to work with it.

By Konstantinos A

Jun 20, 2019

Very useful course another step towards specialization

CalArts is doing a wonderful job!!

By Fabian M

Dec 31, 2016

This course challenged me to expand my visual creative skills and for that I am thankful.

By Brianna P

Oct 10, 2016

This was a great course that got me to stop judging my creations and start making images!

By Soumya P

Jun 14, 2020

I loved this course. It was very informative. Had a lot of fun making the compositions.

By celina o

May 10, 2016

Very practical, short videos, lots of exercices to get going, very interesting course.

By GALO R

Jun 27, 2019

Un curso realmente de mucho aporte, me ayudó para comprender y afinar mi creatividad.

By Mohammed A

Sep 09, 2019

Really good course I enjoyed the process. was very helpful to improve my creativity.

By Elizabeth O

Dec 18, 2017

Very informative and engaging course. One of my favorites among this specialization.

By Mohamed G W

Oct 09, 2017

great course that will teach you the meaning of the pictures and spaces in the image

By Nicoleta P

Apr 12, 2017

The way information combines with practice to enhance your creativity is just great!