Back to Introduction to Imagemaking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Imagemaking by California Institute of the Arts

This course for serious makers, and for students new to imagemaking. Imagemaking is a fluid and exciting area of graphic design that comes out of practice and process: experimenting fearlessly, showing and sharing ideas, and giving and receiving knowledgeable and constructive input. For the sake of this online platform, we have applied some structure to our investigations, but for the most part imagemaking is loose and unstructured. If we must adopt a rule in this course it is only this: you will not become a graphic designer by watching videos alone. Or, don't just make stuff just in your head. So here, the focus here is on making, and you are expected to devote serious time and intellectual energy to that activity in this course. Specifically, you will: - experiment with a range of materials and techniques to make images for graphic design - expand your visual vocabulary both in terms of making and talking about work, in order to discuss your work and work of others - learn how to make, manipulate and arrange images to create compositions, eventually culminating in the design and production of an-image-based book. The first half of the course is an opportunity to experiment and explore imagemaking in order to expand your visual vocabulary. You will create pieces that are expressive, meditative, or 'design-y' to instigate, evoke, experiment, record, explain, or try out a media. In the second two weeks, we’ll invite the images to deliberately and intentionally carry meaning and communication through relational moves like juxtaposition, composition, and context. We’ll look at developing and expanding the range of approaches for putting things together by composing page spreads with your images. Since nothing exists without context, we look at how to intentionally drive the image’s connotations, meanings, and associations generated through elements of composition and “visual contrasts.” Ultimately, we will take the images that you create and make a book from them. The results of your assignments (and experiments) may generate something completely unknowable now or in the future—and that's the goal....

ID

May 22, 2019

Very useful course. Really puts you to practice. I learned a lot and feel encouraged to continue. Reviewing other peer's work was inspiring and gave me fresh ideas about what I could have done better.

LC

Oct 09, 2017

I'm so happy i did this course. Gail, you're amazing and you made my imagination go wild with just your words. I can see you love your craft and that's very inspiring. Enjoyed this course all the way!

76 - 100 of 417 Reviews for Introduction to Imagemaking

By Shirlena R

Jul 09, 2016

I am running out of words to describe how much I loved taking this class and those in conjunction with it. I'll be a little sad when it's over and I'm taking the last course. There is a true connection

By Estrella C S

Jun 24, 2017

Me ha encantado hacer este curso. Ayuda mucho a comprender mejor la utilización y la composición de imágenes. Me ha sido muy practico y de un gran valor para mis propias creaciones . Muchas gracias.

By Hanna L

May 22, 2019

The instructor had such a soothing voice and explained everything very well! The videos were very helpful in showcasing the concepts and providing examples, plus the assignments were super fun!

By F A

Sep 26, 2018

I recommend this course to all future designers, art lovers and also for more experienced people to step a bit outside the box and have the freedom to take mistakes and take new perspectives.

By Natalia M

Feb 24, 2017

Really enjoyed this course and it pushed me to think about the application of the design. In this case, I learned a lot about composing spreads for books which was something very new to me.

By Tristan S

Feb 28, 2018

This course is more self-driven than others I have done on Coursera, but if you are open to exploring different techniques for yourself it is a great course providing a creative stimulus.

By Ana F

Oct 09, 2016

I really loved this course. Useful information presented in an attractive format. Hands on approach. It opened my mind regarding a lot of possible applications in different areas of life.

By Huzaifa E A A

Jan 16, 2020

harder than other courses of the specialization which makes it more important and valuable, I didn't know about designing images but now i'm confident I can make cool designs with images

By Stephen M H

Sep 08, 2020

The pacing of the course was just right, the instructor was knowledgeable, and the presentation of the subject matter was very pleasant, due to Gail Swanlund's easy-going demeanor.

By Regina J

Jun 13, 2020

I did not take the courses in order so this was the last course I too. I like that it had fewer lectures and more hands-on activities. I even learned about a different website.

By cezar d

Sep 06, 2020

Great course indeed, it tackles the true spirit of image-making. Personally, I have reached new heights in design thanks to this course and the clear explanation of the teacher.

By Bhavna S

May 22, 2017

My most toughest course so far. But it was such fun creating design by my hands. My design perspective truly has expanded and I am more appreciative of what I have accomplished.

By Sanda L

Jul 15, 2016

One of the most enjoyable courses for me. It was really fun to do all the assignments and to practice different ways to express myself. A very very nice way to lear. Thank you!

By Darlene H

Sep 11, 2020

Great course. It really made me focus in on composition and how the slightest movement of elements can give your layouts a whole new dialogue. Thank you so much! --Darlene

By Pratik R K

Jul 27, 2020

It is a great course for beginners who are seeking to learn more about the image making strategies and also for people interested to pursue a career in graphic designing.

By Assel N

Aug 13, 2016

This course gave me so much confidence not only in creating images and experimenting, but in writing too. I started to think out of the box and became more productive!

By SOUQUET A

Apr 15, 2020

This course is amazing because you learn how to compose and adjusted your art with many techniques. The teacher explain very well the course and what we can do.

By Ronald K

Oct 10, 2017

Very interesting assignments and a more hands-on approach than the first 2 courses in this Graphic Design specialization. Really enjoy it and I recommend it! =D

By Alexandra S

I loved this course. So far is my favourite of the Graphic Design Specialization. Even if it is an online course it really is a hands on course, since day 1!!!

By Amanda V

May 04, 2020

I learned a lot and the instructions were clear. It is getting harder, but that is to be expected of any course. Thanks for making this fun and educational.

By Sakshi J

Jul 02, 2018

I really enjoyed working in this course. It is action oriented and demanding. The instructions were precise and clear, and the results led to new learnings.

By Ar. S D

Aug 15, 2020

a great course for exploring the image making process. Thank you so much for this beautiful course adn all the information and reading materials provided.

By Nene W

Feb 06, 2017

thought provoking course and the practical aspects were especially enjoyable. like looking at a subject in fresh new ways, then you would love this course

By 瞿睿

Mar 09, 2019

I really appreciate the listed styles and artist in week 2. It really helps for people who likes modern art but do not know that many excellent artists.

By Aba N

May 23, 2017

Gail Swanlund has done a great job of pacing the course and progressively teaching this image-making course with lots of great examples and resources.