Back to Instructional Design Foundations and Applications

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Instructional Design Foundations and Applications by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

4.1

This course, Instructional Design Foundations, introduces learners to the conceptual and theoretical foundations of instructional design as well as the analysis aspect of instructional systems design in order to create an innovative instructional solution to performance problems in organizations. This particular course also introduces learners to concepts covered in the Instructional Design MasterTrack Certificate. Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to: ●Describe the major concepts of instructional systems design ●Describe the major learning and instructional theories ●Describe the process of instructional design and instructional design models ●Describe various analysis activities for instructional design...

GS
Apr 15, 2021

Very clear course, provides definitions and/or discussion of terms that at are useful for a clearer understanding of the ID process. Good continuity between topics and good use of diagrams.

JT
Jul 4, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed this course. It is well taught and well organised. The material provided a thorough overview of the field, and the readings were particularly fascinating and helpful.

76 - 100 of 156 Reviews for Instructional Design Foundations and Applications

By Ibadulla E

Jul 28, 2020

Every concept was detailed and nicely explained. No complains really.

By Aditya S C

Aug 16, 2019

Wonderful course... I've got the basics right after completing this!

By Annu M

Aug 13, 2019

Well planned learning environment with adequate activities to keep

By Manuel S

Aug 4, 2020

A good improvement to my instructional design skills

By Katelyn

Feb 27, 2019

Really valuable introduction to Instructional Design

By Marcelline R

May 4, 2020

Structure, logical, well presented, easy to follow.

By Marike B

Nov 4, 2019

Great Course, very informative. I learned a lot!

By Raymond M

Jul 16, 2021

Great Course. Well organised and very engaging.

By Fernando D R

Jul 12, 2021

Excellent course which covers ID key topics.

By Samar H A M E

Aug 19, 2020

This course was a really great experience.

By Zamambo M

Mar 14, 2021

I really enjoyed it, truly well designed.

By Liz H

May 11, 2021

Give me an overview of the subject!

By Ryan F

Sep 18, 2020

Great Course!! I learned alot!!

By Dogukan O

Aug 22, 2020

Great course. Well-designed.

By Marie A O

Aug 21, 2019

Excited about this class!

By Carlos E P

By Linh T N

Jul 30, 2021

By Jaime S

Oct 4, 2020

While I have learned from this course, I'm afraid that I have to agree with some of the reviews: its design could stand to be further enhanced—something of an irony, given that it deals with instructional design.

The videos are far too long and too unvaried to be engaging or memorable. The "talking head" format of the videos adds little value; I suspect that providing the lessons in the form of slide presentations that students could work through on their own would have been just as, if not more, effective. Creating smaller chunks of content would also make everything more manageable.

With regard to the assessments, I wish that I could have gotten feedback from the instructors on the assignments. While I understand the place of peer feedback in all kinds of learning, the fact of the matter is that neither my peers nor I are the subject-matter experts. Moreover, I found the quizzes a bit frustrating, because they contemplate only very thin slices of the substantial content that students are expected to have thoroughly digested beforehand.

Finally, the videos make reference to a Master Track Certificate, which I understand can no longer be earned by taking this particular course. In that sense, the videos are outdated.

By Connie K C

Jun 23, 2020

I really appreciated the course. It was well organized, with solid information. However, leaving one of the essay assignments to be graded by one person, rather than multiple people to find an average score, might need to be fixed - as that one person might have mis-read or mis-understood the essay. I have taken several other Coursera courses, and this is the first course where one other student can determine 20% of the grade, rather than having multiple peer graders and finding an average.

Also, some of the quiz questions are vaguely worded. Some quiz questions are unnecessarily complex and unevenly loaded (e.g. loading a question with five or nine different choices and asking "select all that apply" so that even if four or eight correct responses are chosen, the entire question is marked incorrect because of one out of nine choices) versus questions that have the simple choice of false or true.

By christopher g

Jun 7, 2021

Well thought out course that covers the basics initially, and then concludes with some good management hints for both projects and people that assist Instructional Designers in their work. Only issue with the course is that it is a MOOC so has to be all things to all people. A tough approach for any subject, at least the ones you want to be thorough. I do better with looking at a slide while the audio/briefer describes what they are showing me. But that's just me. I'd prefer seeing less of people talking. Once again though - this is good bargain - solid entry to the skills in the field and one of the few online courses that actually provides a certificate. So I recommend!

By Liz S

Jan 11, 2020

This course is very good overall. I found this, my first course in instructional design (ID), doable after many hours of reading, listening to videos, googling, and You-Tubing (and repeating). I learned quite a bit about the history of ID, learning theories, styles, and domains, the various ID Models and analyses, and about writing goals and objectives. I liked the organization of the course and the teaching methods. I also liked the projects but didn't care much for the grading process for these writing assignments---peer grading is extremely subjective---but it worked out okay.