Back to Intellectual Humility: Theory

Intellectual Humility: Theory, The University of Edinburgh

About this Course

Faced with difficult questions people often tend to dismiss and marginalize dissent. Political and moral disagreements can be incredibly polarizing, and sometimes even dangerous. And whether it’s Christian fundamentalism, Islamic extremism, or militant atheism, religious dialogue remains tinted by arrogance, dogma, and ignorance. The world needs more people who are sensitive to reasons both for and against their beliefs, and are willing to consider the possibility that their political, religious and moral beliefs might be mistaken. The world needs more intellectual humility. But what is intellectual humility, anyway? And why do people seem so drawn toward intellectual arrogance? Psychologists, philosophers, theologians, and educationalists are now suggesting some answers. In this course we try to define intellectual humility and intellectual virtues in general, and ask how we know who is humble. All lectures are delivered by leading specialists, and the course is organised around a number of interesting readings and practical assignments which will help you address issues related to humility in your daily life. This course is a part of a series which explores the theory, the science and the applied issues surrounding intellectual humility (the latter two coming in June and November 2017). Completing all three courses will give you a broader understanding of this fascinating topic. Look for: • Intellectual Humility: Science - https://www.coursera.org/learn/intellectual-humility-science • Intellectual Humility: Practice - https://www.coursera.org/learn/intellectual-humility-practice You can also follow us on twitter: @EdiPhilOnline and #IHMOOC...

By SM

Dec 13, 2017

After this class I can say that I dwell on aspects I learned every day. Among the best MOOCs available. This should be required at colleges and universities. Highly recommend.

By JM

May 03, 2017

I am a computer scientist who hates waffle. This course presents a topic that I have no knowledge about in a way that is interesting , succinct and thought provoking

50 Reviews

By Ionut MIhai Chelalau

Apr 10, 2019

Great content, enjoyed the talks.

By Alice Jackson

Feb 16, 2019

Very interesting course, even better if you pair it with the others on Intellectual Humility

By Carey Nathan

Feb 02, 2019

This was a somewhat difficult and challenging course for me. I felt it was more technical than I expected. I really liked it a lot. This is my first Coursera course so the four stars is more to leave room for future courses that I take that might exceed this one. This was a great course and I would highly recommend it.

By Abdulrahman Miayaba

Jan 07, 2019

This is an eye-opening course

By maria nazare camilo silva lima

Dec 31, 2018

I loved this course, and others. now I'm sad because the coursera has changed platform and I can no longer copy lessons to study later. as I know almost nothing English I copied and then translated to study.

By Sabrina Boorer

Oct 17, 2018

Brilliant course, a plethora of information on offer. Really thought and discussion provoking concepts.

By Felipe Alejandro Álvarez Osorio

Aug 21, 2018

a very good introduction to virtue epistemology and cognitive science.

By Wes D Sturdevant

Aug 16, 2018

I think I learned a bit that I'll keep with me for a long time. Really enjoyed the course. :)

By Rebecca Morris

Jul 09, 2018

This was a very helpful introduction to an area I wanted to know more about. I found the lectures enjoyable and the quizzes made sure I was paying attention!

By Derrick Jeand Rahbar

Mar 18, 2018

I

love the concept of this branch of philosophy!