Back to An Introduction to Interactive Programming in Python (Part 1)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for An Introduction to Interactive Programming in Python (Part 1) by Rice University

This two-part course is designed to help students with very little or no computing background learn the basics of building simple interactive applications. Our language of choice, Python, is an easy-to learn, high-level computer language that is used in many of the computational courses offered on Coursera. To make learning Python easy, we have developed a new browser-based programming environment that makes developing interactive applications in Python simple. These applications will involve windows whose contents are graphical and respond to buttons, the keyboard and the mouse. In part 1 of this course, we will introduce the basic elements of programming (such as expressions, conditionals, and functions) and then use these elements to create simple interactive applications such as a digital stopwatch. Part 1 of this class will culminate in building a version of the classic arcade game "Pong"....

CD

Jul 13, 2017

It was nice beginner course for the new programming to learn programming and practice the concepts with most intuitive way, the way is to build a game and that interests anyone who takes this course.

JT

Oct 09, 2018

A great intro that puts the topic into achievable steps! I have a mechanical engineering background and I found it to be straightforward. The professors do a good job of making it fun and enjoyable.

651 - 673 of 673 Reviews for An Introduction to Interactive Programming in Python (Part 1)

By Bjørn F

Aug 03, 2017

I liked it a lot! Great for getting to know interactive programming, and make programs for others to use. Wish there would a bit on the GUI, but hey, cant have everything :)

By Tamira G

Mar 18, 2018

Fun approach!

By Kang Y

Jul 06, 2018

Friendly professors, easy and understandable explanation.

By Marien W

Apr 05, 2017

The audio volume throughout the videos should be improved; consistently, my ears were bombarded during the first shot(s), but as soon as the side-shot plus code came into view I had to crank up the volume in order to understand what was said.

Otherwise, it was a very well thought-out and enjoyable class, thanks!

By Shubham M

Jun 29, 2017

It was a nice experience , Going through this coarse is really helpful.

By thusharamg

Jun 05, 2017

A good course and interesting assignments.

By Joshua P

May 21, 2017

I only Audited the course but it was great! I wish I was able to submit my programs and review my peers as an Auditor of the course but was not able to. However, as far as content goes, this course is great! The instructors are knowledgeable and you learn how to program in Python in an engaging and entertaining way! Keep up the great work!

By B. S Y

Mar 02, 2018

I think it's pretty good. But would like the quizzes and assignments to become available to auditing. :)

By Kiran K K

Mar 31, 2017

Excellent!

By 火蜂

Jun 24, 2018

非常不错 +5部分翻译丢失-1

By Verónica D M

Jul 10, 2018

Great start course! The learning curve gets a bit steep for people with no prior knowledge after the first few weeks, but the teachers keep the class interesting and the exercises are great practice.

By Song S

Apr 17, 2019

It is pretty interesting, especially those mini-projects. I learned a lot from the courses. However, it is a pity that it dose not use Python3. What is worse, the courses are based on Simplegui, which can only be used on the website. This means I cannot use an IDLE or something like that to finish the mini-projects, and also it seems useless without the website.

By Johannes T

May 28, 2019

The course was a great introduction and also involves a high commitment. The teachers were passionate about the content and teaching. The thing which is pretty annoying for me, is the availability of tasks from other students. At the end, coursera should be a way of efficient learning. For some grading excersises, I had to revisit the pages for a week and at least 20 times. That is not acceptable and does not reflect a efficient learning experience.

By Luke D

Jul 15, 2019

The only reason I'm not giving it a 5-star rating is that it's not taught with python 3. To be fair, it's not difficult to make a few slight alterations and do the course in python 3 on your own. The codeskulptor tool is amazing and the instruction is clear and nicely organized.

By Prince

Jul 29, 2019

Coming from a less privileged home and a third world country. Coursera offers me the opportunity learn anything I want, whenever, wherever.

By FU K C

Sep 23, 2019

Very helpful for a beginner in computer science. Video and materials are clear. The only downside is that it takes quite some time for some of the projects to be graded by peers.

By Cristina D

Sep 23, 2019

Nice course although for those not to much into logistics sometime is difficult to follow.

By John f

Mar 12, 2019

This is a beginner level course. that being said i came to this course as a true beginner programmer. I picked up the subject matter well enough but felt like some of the lectures glossed over some subjects and there was not enough practice work to become truly proficient with all the subjects.

By Matteo P

Apr 12, 2019

Very good approach...Maybe to much mathematics things on programming language. I would prefer some cases and algorithms referring to "normal life". and... I don't agree 100% with the choice to use only codeskulptor. in particularly program graphic interface I would prefer to use standard graphic python library.

By ANNE M

Jun 02, 2019

This is a very frustrating class. the lectures are great, and it's fun doing the examples and projects. The quiz/tests on the other hand are awful. example week 4. in no lecture have we discussed time.time or the epoch. I found it, but the point is, you are not testing the students on what they are being taught! I'm very disappointed in this.

By Daniela N A

Jul 15, 2019

We should have learned about oop first before doing GUI stuff, but I guess they thought otherwise :(

By Asad J

Nov 07, 2019

The audio quality of the instructors is poor and hard to understand.

By PRASAD K

Aug 16, 2019

The course uses Python 2 and forces you to use their own IDE. Most people starting out programming would probably have no interest in interactive programming (which is largely useless outside this course.) RICE University needs to scrap this course and replace with an updated and more relevant course. Try the University of Toronto course on Coursera and MIT's python course on Edx.