Back to Code Yourself! An Introduction to Programming

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Code Yourself! An Introduction to Programming by The University of Edinburgh

Have you ever wished you knew how to program, but had no idea where to start from? This course will teach you how to program in Scratch, an easy to use visual programming language. More importantly, it will introduce you to the fundamental principles of computing and it will help you think like a software engineer....

ED
Apr 4, 2016

the course is what the name says it is, an introduction to programming, great course for any code beginner. Lecturer is doing amazing job and keeping the lectures interesting, easy and understandable.

EA
Jun 3, 2020

for a total beginner in coding, this course was the perfect start! It was easy to understand, and easy to program (coding wit already?)\n\nThank you so much for offering such a wonderful way to learn!

26 - 50 of 898 Reviews for Code Yourself! An Introduction to Programming

By Golda M

Aug 28, 2015

The course is very comprehensive. The videos are split into smaller portions that prevented me from being bored. The concepts are presented in a simple manner that I can easily understand. I also appreciate the illustrations used to explain the concepts and the interviews with real-world professionals that relate what they do with software engineering. Thanks for this course! This is awesome!

By Stan V

Sep 23, 2015

This was a great class for me. I had fun learning about programming concepts and Scratch. There are weekly quizzes and two projects to work on. Both the quizzes and the projects will definitely help you learn more about software design principles. You will have fun while learning and working on your coding skills. I took toward taking more courses on Scratch if they are available.

By Benedikt G

Feb 5, 2018

Great introduction to programming in very easy and understandable steps and units. Can recommend this to anyone who wants to get into programming without any prior experience and for any age group. Despite having many many students, the teachers were also extremely forthcoming and helped me with some administrative issues I had and despite some back and forth via e-mail. Great job!

By Philip C

Mar 28, 2017

This course is ideal for anyone with zero programming experience who wants to learn the basic concepts and have fun doing so. I would definitely recommend 'Code Yourself! An Introduction to Programming' as an entry level course to everyone of any age who has an interest in learning how to develop. Well done to the team that put this course together.

By Marek D

Apr 13, 2020

outdated. New Scratch 3 looks different and it's difficult to do the same things if you follow instructor

By Willy

Jun 8, 2020

This is a great course for anyone who is interested in programming but have zero to little programming background. I would say that this course would also be interesting for some experienced programmers.

Scratch code and interface are easy to understand. This course not only teaches about the code but also teaches how to think as a programmer such as, how to design your code or algorithm based on the software requirements, analyzing your code, doing the best practice, etc.

During the course, you will be guided by Dr Areti Manataki (If you choose the course in English). She explains everything pretty well and uses terms that easy to understand. For example by explaining code algorithm by comparing it with daily activities.

By Constantine M

May 15, 2020

The tutors were highly professional. I did not have any computer science background prior to starting the course and therefore my level of confidence and comfortability was very low. However, I must say all that quickly vanished soon after I started listening to the lectures. The tutors simplified otherwise difficult and complex tasks to become easy to understand, which gave me an eagerness to continue learning. I would want to recommend anyone who wants to pursue a tech career to start off the journey with this course. Thank you and I appreciate it.

By Anusheel C

Jul 13, 2020

A real starter course for simple programming. i, with no idea on programming, decided to try this course. this was my first coursera course. i got to say, it really is the starter. i really recommend this for people who want to program, but dont know where to start. the course is made in a very fun way. i am 10 years old and i loved this. tells you the basics of programming, teaches you programming in scratch. do this course before any other programming one. it'll seriously help you

By Chris H

Feb 3, 2021

Good introduction introduction to common terms, common project design from inception to completion. Pacing was good and instructions were clear and concise. I was able to complete projects without having to seek supplementary guidance from third party websites. Instructors were clear and easy to understand. Thank you for the course, I really enjoyed it. All my best.

By viddhesh s

Jun 4, 2017

actually Iam a beginner in the world of coding, and i have understood the basics of coding with the help of this course.

By Ashwini J

Feb 10, 2016

very well explained and the whole course is so fun to learn !!!! and very motivating too for programming beginners....!

By Christian R

Aug 3, 2020

Good course for someone who is starting in programming.

By Rucha M

Jun 8, 2020

This course was lots of fun and I learnt a lot.

By mariko

Feb 13, 2016

You will have to make a Scratch account (free) for this course.

Areti is a very clear instructor that explained concepts very well for complete beginners into programming, like myself and I found the course insightful.

1) Presentation - I couldn't help but wonder whether they had a lower target age (teenagers or younger) in mind, which was entertaining at some points but also distracting at other times. // Also, I only realized halfway through the course that it is in fact possible to see what Areti is doing on the Scratch program once the quality of the video is adjusted.

2) Projects/Time Commitment - Going through the lectures and quizzes are not time consuming at all, but the projects (especially the final project) takes a lot of time. It took longer than expected because I felt like much of the practical instructions on how to use Scratch for specific purposes were not provided during the course, leaving me to work by myself.

3) Discussion Forum - When I took the course, the discussion forum was close to being dead (especially compared to some of the other courses that I was taking simultaneously on Coursera). Gerry (mentor) did an amazing job responding to my inquiry, but I noticed that although there were a lot of students talking at the beginning, introducing themselves, there weren't that many discussions concerning the final assignment, making me feel like I was working alone. It would be great if there was more time to work on the final project, and perhaps a way in which students can collaborate and help out others when faced with a bug (ie preliminary project submission and feedback session).

I recommend taking this course, but realistically, you won't be program proficient after 5 weeks. You will, however, learn some basic programming theory, understand how programming works, and learn how to make a fun interactive game on Scratch!

By Teresa R

Jul 17, 2020

I loved this course. Thank you very much!!! My teacher was Areti and her enthusiasm is contagious. I will take another programming course, because I got very motivated.

I like feedback from my peers to gain peers' perspectives.

At the same time, peers grading is uncertain. Some of them are not factual. In my projects they don't rate with the truth. It would be good for a mentor to supervise that.

It didn't affect me, because I still got an A, but it doesn't feel good to work so hard to comply with all program requirements, features, and functionalities, for then the grade be like a lottery, to some extent.

By PARVATHY R S

May 24, 2021

It is easy to understand the course even for a beginner. The instructors are excellent.

Thankyou coursera

By Shashank K S

Apr 30, 2020

This course is ok but it is not providing any certificate .I think certificates motivates us to achieve our goals.It gives courage that Yes!!we have completed this course

But you are not providing us a certificate 😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢

But we are happy that we have learnt a lot. We will be happier to receive your certificate.

By Xin X T

Jul 30, 2020

Good if you dont have any basic knowledge of progamming.

By Jennifer S

Aug 27, 2021

The teacher is good. She speaks clearly and explains things well. The opportunity to practice in Scratch is great. However, the reason for this rating is because Scratch changed significantly since these lessons were recorded and the lessons have not been updated. This happened at least a year ago by the complaints in the forum. That's too long to leave updates to the software you're teaching unaddressed. It's very frustrating.

By Ankit K

Jun 13, 2020

Maybe that's me or may be i haven't read about the course clearly but i think that the level of this course is below par. It is a childish level course probably for someone younger than 15 or 16.

By Jennifer k

Feb 22, 2021

info is out of date. course references an out of date scratch program. unwilling to upload practice videos from this site due to this fact and risk uploading unsecure info to my home pc.

By Onkar E S

Jun 22, 2021

Waste of time.

By Mireille F

Sep 27, 2020

I really enjoyed the course, well designed in terms of progression and good presentation. I had knew basic programming in R, Python & Java, but it is so much more fun when you can see immediately your code in action via animations, games etc. Now I have to figure out how you go from the root language programs like Python onto visual ones like Scratch.

I have some feedback on how the course could be improved - don't know where else to post this: a) the course description should emphasize that it uses Scratch V2, not the latest version, in bold, e.g in 'About this course' and 'Introductory note', so to download V2 to follow the course, and once completed continue practising using V3 b) there should be an additional 'FAQ' section in the course content list, gathering all recurrent threads from Forum Discussions, e.g. reminder to use Scratch V2 not V3, and differences between V2 & V3; this would reduce the incorrect uses of the Discussion Forums (e.g. multiple duplicate threads) and save time about known recurrent topics/issues c) the project submission page should not allow submission unless a file has been uploaded to it, and if possible only a .sb2 or .sb3 file d) the peer-review process should indicate what to do if wrong file type or no file uploaded in the project page to review (from an old forum thread I gather that we have to flag the submission rather than submit a failed - on all counts - review).

By Rufus F R j

Jan 2, 2021

This course is put together very well. Although frustrating at times, I learned a lot in a very short period of time. The instructors planned the course in such a manner that a beginner can start thinking like a computer programmer. Learning block programming is a good way to start to learn programming. The learner has to really want to learn this stuff, and it is so rewarding when one creates something from Scratch that one is proud of. It is also very rewarding to be able to follow along with another learner's though process because one is able to understand what the programmer is attempting to do. From doing peer review, one learns from peer review, and the learner begins to understand why coding is such a collaborative effort. It is truly insightful to see how someone else approaches a problem different from one's self. I love this stuff! Now I am going to have to take a course in some beginning language like Python. When I can afford it, I am going to get this certificate. Thank you to the instructors, developers of this course, and thank you to the Coursera platform and Coursera team.

By Zərbəliyeva Ş

May 12, 2020

Hello, first of all, thank you for making this course free and making a noticeable difference in the careers and education of many. And, of course, my dear teacher Dr. Areti Manataki, thank you very much for creating a very entertaining and educational environment in 5 weeks. (P.S and my dear friend Cody). In fact, as a biology student, I never thought I would be able to master such a high level of programming skills over the Internet. And I'm glad I made a mistake)) Edinburgh was my favorite university in terms of education and the team. I was thinking of studying at the University of Pavia with Erasmus Proraming, but Covid-19 may have helped me so much that I was already studying for a master's degree at the University of Edinburgh.

, specialization in Programming. Respect to everyone who suffers.