Back to Introduction to Embedded Systems Software and Development Environments

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Embedded Systems Software and Development Environments by University of Colorado Boulder

Welcome to the Introduction to Embedded Systems Software and Development Environments. This course is focused on giving you real world coding experience and hands on project work with ARM based Microcontrollers. You will learn how to implement software configuration management and develop embedded software applications. Course assignments include creating a build system using the GNU Toolchain GCC, using Git version control, and developing software in Linux on a Virtual Machine. The course concludes with a project where you will create your own build system and firmware that can manipulate memory. The second course in this 2 course series , Embedded Software and Hardware Architecture, will use hardware tools to program and debug microcontrollers with bare-metal firmware. Using a Texas Instruments MSP432 Development Kit, you will configure a variety of peripherals, write numerous programs, and see your work execute on your own embedded platform!...

HH
Jan 5, 2020

I have done a few computer science courses already and some of them were related to embedded systems. This is one of the best so far.\n\nHigher level than a introductory course.\n\nHighly advisable.

SC
Oct 9, 2019

The course was excellent for me, as a beginner. Of course, the learning curve was steep and the assignments challenging, but I learnt a lot. Thanks you Coursera and University of Colorado, Boulder.

26 - 50 of 146 Reviews for Introduction to Embedded Systems Software and Development Environments

By Маляренко М Д

Mar 20, 2021

This course helped me to become more confident with the gnu development tools, micro controller memory model and embedded development environment. Before this course I had no experience in writing Makefiles and using gnu build utils. Now i know how to create my own build system, how does gcc toolchain works and how can I investigate the output of the compiler with help of bin utils, linker file and obect dump e.t.c.

I advise those who want to learn more about embedded development and compilers to take this course.

By Waleed O

Sep 24, 2017

this course did a great job to make me use GNU tool chain for making programs for microcontrollers , i used make tool which was very useful to know about , this helped me of better understanding of steps any project passes through to produce executable .

and it made me use git and github which was also good to use and learn ,and it has really important and basic information any embedded systems related job will require you know about .

By Rahal H

Dec 7, 2020

Very well structured and very informative. Most important aspects in embedded system development are covered thoroughly in this course in a magnificently manner such that context can be grasped easily. Work load is very manageable.

Assignments are well organized and provides a great platform to improve on what is being taught in the course.

I am very satisfied about the decision I took to follow through this course.

By Rohit K

Jul 10, 2020

This course was very helpful for me, it gives learner a glimpse of the real Embedded world. Truly I learned a lot. You may not be taught everything in this course, but if you tried to do the assignments yourself, from that only you will gain a lot. I was very fortunate that I got financial aid for this course. Thankyou very much Coursera. ALL THE BEST to all learners :)

By Edilberto C N

Jul 6, 2017

Good classes and very good professor (Congratulations Alex!). This course teaches the basis of the embedded systems such as types of memory, build systems, review of basics fundamentals (C programming, git, caracteristics of microcontrollers) and, at the end, a final project which put all this concepts together.

I'm looking forward to the next course.

Cheers!

By Yeo K H

Nov 24, 2020

If you are using IDEs for developing microcontroller projects, and always wondered about the build commands in the project output window, this course will answer those questions. Excellent introduction to the build toolchain and GNU tools, essential for microcontroller programmers. Thank you.

By Abhay H

Aug 13, 2021

Precise enough. On point, Assignments and information is in such a way that you yourself start exploring more in search of more information and answers and in this process you learn a lot and understand better.

I would like to thank University of Colorado Boulder and Alex Fosdick.

By Sakshat R

May 16, 2020

Best course I have attempted in Coursera. Lots of new stuff to learn and it has challenging exercises. Got stuck a lot of times while completing assessments, but it helped me understand the concepts better. The instructor is superb. The content is superb. The course is superb.

By Bobzz k

Apr 9, 2020

Proud to be a student here!!

I now understand embedded systems software and the relevant environments!!

Thanks to the support and above all to my instructor who has just made me graduate!!

thanks Alex and thankyou Coursera for Giving me confidence in Embedded Systems Software

By samudra g

Nov 12, 2020

For beginners to Embedded field, this is one of the best online courses one could find and that too totally FREE!!. I would like to thank all the Tutors of this course for making such good content and helping students to learn the basics of embedded programming.

By Adil e m m

Sep 18, 2021

H​I IAM VERY happy to get this course ,thank you alex as you know takealong time to finsh but i got it and for me to unterstand controller design for every thing please let me continuye to the second course again not forget to thank all home help me adl

By Hassam K

Jul 27, 2019

For a beginner. this course provides extensive knowledge for embedded systems software design. The base concepts are being taught very well in this course. It is just perfect for getting in-depth knowledge of embedded systems software development.

By A. F Ü

Jan 31, 2019

This course is really perfect!

The theory of embedded systems was handled properly and the assignments are really informative to learn well. GitHub requirement is a plus for developer, you can learn using GitHub besides the embedded systems :)

By PRAGASH S

Jan 15, 2021

I had a good exposure of how source codes are compiled/built from initial stage to an executable file.

Definitely need more practice and experience to be an expert Embedded Systems Software design.

Thanks.

By Ashraf A

Nov 21, 2018

Well organized course with advance knowledge for embedded systems programming. Not for beginners or who wants to learn programming. With this course you will learn how to design high quality programming.

By Stephen K

Oct 9, 2019

By Mohamed H T

Jun 12, 2021

It is a good course. it gives an basics information about using GNU on linux, git and make tools. Also, it gives you basic information about embedded system software and its memory management.

By HRsL

Jan 6, 2020

Higher level than a introductory course.

Highly advisable.

By Bishoy S R S

Dec 21, 2017

A real added value for engineers who wants to have a more detailed view on automated build (Make, .. ) and a more in depth knowledge to the memory mapping and other things.

By VIMIL R

Dec 31, 2020

Great Course by Professor Alex. You will definitely learn the basics of Embedded Systems through this course. His explanations are crystal clear. Worth the time.

By Virajith L

Jul 25, 2021

This is so amazing. This helped me to understand things that i was bothering long time ago. Thank you University of Colorado Boulder and Mr. Alex Fosdick.

By Mahmood F

Jun 22, 2018

It was excellent and very informative course, though it would have been so much better if we stayed longer on the topics with more practical examples.

By Jose G A U

Sep 4, 2019

This is an excellent course, I learned such useful tools and every topic inside each module fits and complements all I learned in my Engineer Degree.

By Ikechukwu A

Dec 12, 2017

An excellent introduction to embedded systems with a lot of rigor. I will recommend it to anyone who is serious about learning about embedded systems

By balasubramanya r b

Nov 12, 2017

Please opt this course for beginning in embedded/ software system domain with aim to capture all the aspects involved in developing sound software.