Back to Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition by Arizona State University

In this course learners are introduced to second or foreign language theories and practices for teaching and assessing listening, speaking, and pronunciation. Learners will also be introduced to basic studies in second language acquisition and their pedagogical implications. Teachers will be invited to recognize the importance of grounding their own teaching philosophy through an examination of purpose, content, and technique....
Highlights
Applicable teachings
(121 Reviews)
Creatively designed course
(270 Reviews)

AA
Jun 21, 2021

Interesting courses! I am learning a lot. Thank you very much Coursera. I have just completed course 2 and been delivered a certificate but I just can't access my new course. What should I do, please?

NZ
Jun 10, 2018

I'm really enjoying this course. I'm about half way through. I'm looking forrward to how the various courses in this series take me farther and farther into language learning theories and techniques.

101 - 125 of 1,618 Reviews for Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition

By Xiangyi L

Mar 22, 2020

I am watching this course just at week2, usually I don't comment till I finish but I must say this is an excellent course, and the delivery of this course is really interesting. the acting of different roles really made me laugh so much. thank you for making effort of making this MOOC all faculty in TESOL ASU!!

By Tatiana

Dec 11, 2017

The second part of the course is absolutely fantastic. I really enjoyed the videos thanks to the presenters' acting skills and charisma. There was plenty of valuable information which is essential for my work as a teacher. The course provides a lot of fresh ideas about our work and giving our students the best.

By Sney

Mar 2, 2021

Dear Teachers I am so glad for this course but especially glad for your knowledge and abilities you are sharing here) It is my great chance to be introduced absolutely other sides of teaching English with such incredible teachers! Wishing all of you great health and further more success)))

best regards Nurshat

By 艾美WU

Aug 7, 2019

It's a very great course for having a good understanding of the theories of SLA. If you are one of the teachers who want to know how those SLA theories evolved and what are their merits and demerits and what you can learn from those theories to improve your quality of teaching. I highly recommend this course!

By Dmitrii K

Dec 28, 2020

The history of ESL is presented in a way that helps students retain information and use it later to improve their teaching skills. The assignments are thought-provoking and challenging. I recommend this course to anyone who would like to improve their understanding of what they can do in a classroom and why.

By Mustafa I

Jan 14, 2021

Very Nice course created for Language Trainers to fully understand different Theories of Second Language Acquisition. I loved the Trainers. The Trainer who acted in the videos was the best part of the course as it gave a real insight into the past. His acting was superb. He should work in Hollywood movies.

By Marisa

Sep 9, 2017

I like how this course was able to open my eyes to the many approaches and techniques that I have been using in my classroom in a compact way. It has really refreshed my perspective on how I teach in the classroom and I think it was time well spent. I liked Jessica, as she was bubbly and always smiling.

By Karen H

Dec 4, 2016

This course helped me to relate my past and current teaching styles to particular approaches throughout history and plan to enhance the techniques I already use while putting a name to the teaching method. I can use this new knowledge to select which method and approach may work best in each situation.

By HASSOUNA H I E

Jun 11, 2017

All thanks and appreciation to the administrators of the website of Corseira and to the distinguished lecturers. Shane Dixon

Dr. Justin Shewell

Jessica Cinco on the effort to deploy the uncle in an easy and modern way through the international Internet for all students of the uncle and all employees

By Catherine M D

Aug 14, 2017

I loved this course so much that I continued and finished it within a couple of days. The information that I learned here was quite intriguing. The instructors made the course engaging and made me want to learn more about the different learning approaches. Thank you so much for such a great course!

By Jacqueline K

Oct 24, 2016

Excellent and comprehensive course that goes into detail about ESL teaching theory. Manageable workload and plenty of time and resources to complete assessments. I have recommended this to all of my linguist and TESOL friends who are lacking a certificate. It is a phenomenal course and opportunity.

By Glenia L

Jan 10, 2016

I am about to finish this course and I loved it. It is a great overview of the theories of SLA and although it says it takes 6 weeks, as I am on vacation now, I ended up finishing it in four days, working for about 4-5 hours/day. So, I highly recommend it to anyone interested in teaching languages.

By ELMA J O C

Apr 12, 2021

Very informative and easy to follow procedures. A good review of the theories of SLA and how to teach in an SLA-oriented classroom. At some point, I tend to not focus on the theories and the theorists of SLA, however, learning them is a great tool to guide oneself and reevaluate goals of teaching.

By Cherry A V

Feb 16, 2021

Our dearest TESOL instructor is really great Dr. Shane Dixon and Ms. Jessica Cinco for unselfishly sharing their knowledge and wisdom to us. This is best achievement for us to be part of this scholarship grant. Additional knowledge and it makes our time worthy in this time of pandemic. Thank you

By Joshua L

Mar 9, 2021

Module 2 required substantial effort and the challenges presented helped you grasp a deeper understanding of teaching ESL. Also, the provisions listed in the techniques are in strong correlation to those in Module 1 and can help you develop a wonderful technique that can be used in the classroom.

By M. C

Sep 17, 2018

I have completed courses 1-3 in the first sequence of courses of the Teach English Now! program and all of them have been phenomenal! The program is extremely well constructed and the teachers leading the courses are dynamic, funny, and dedicated to the art of teaching. I can't wait to take more!

By Ahmad A F

Apr 2, 2017

Beautifully compiled course by the team at ASU. Bite-size pieces on some wonderful content relevant to each teacher ACROSS THE WORLD. How can something this nice be practically free! :) Thank you ASU! keep up the good work - you are enriching & empowering the lives of teachers all over the world!

By Angelyn C L

Jan 18, 2020

I really learned a lot from this course. I thought I knew many things about this already but no. This helps me a lot especially as a teacher it refreshes and it adds a lot to what I know.. This course is very worth to take. Double thumbs up to very good instructors and developers of this course.

By Fatih

Jan 6, 2020

it is very nice. but like in any other subject history and theories they are really boring. it is very necessary to learn and get lessons from those. however teachers did great job by explaining very smoothly and professionally. appreciate the expertise.. great job. Dr Shane and Jessica..Cheers.

By Andres L

Aug 11, 2019

Very dynamic and interesting way to learn about the different approaches to teaching languages. It is a historical voyage that takes us to different teachers, theorists and scientists who discussed who learns the language, why he learns it, why and how it is taught and which materials are used.

By Sadia M

Aug 7, 2016

Love the way Dr. Shane is representing different approaches with appropriate dress code & dialogues from previous eras.. I have learned all these methods before in my TESOL course of final year Literature studies. Its like revising all the knowledge that I had learned 6 months back in 2015. (Y)

By Iman H A A

Jan 6, 2021

Although I hate theoretical study material, yet enjoyed the course. I am a banker and like numbers! But honestly it was interesting. Thanks professor Shane you made something interesting form a tedious theoretical study material. I liked the noble you arguing with the devil.

God bless you all.

By Partha S

Aug 16, 2016

Awesome, I only need just one word "awesome" to express what I think of this course. With ease, I've learned about all the historical approaches of language learning; although, I've read these approaches before, but I never understood them so well until now. many thanks to ASU and Shane Dixon.

By Christina F

Feb 13, 2016

This course was really time taking as in it required a committed time to read through and analyze different approaches. I felt like a student after a long time. Thank you Dr. Shane for your different avatars and Ms. Jessica for a very clear summarization. Thanks to all the teachers involved.

By N N S R

Oct 20, 2016

This is course is useful for teachers who are interested in teaching English as a second language and particularly who wish to use combinations of historically evolved methods in contemporary teaching. I derived a lot of benefit from the course. I thank all the teachers for their inputs.