Back to Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition by Arizona State University

In this course learners are introduced to second or foreign language theories and practices for teaching and assessing listening, speaking, and pronunciation. Learners will also be introduced to basic studies in second language acquisition and their pedagogical implications. Teachers will be invited to recognize the importance of grounding their own teaching philosophy through an examination of purpose, content, and technique....
Highlights
Applicable teachings
(121 Reviews)
Creatively designed course
(270 Reviews)

NZ
Jun 10, 2018

I'm really enjoying this course. I'm about half way through. I'm looking forrward to how the various courses in this series take me farther and farther into language learning theories and techniques.

CS
May 14, 2017

All the theories are presented in an extremely organized way.\n\nThe dramatic representation has been rather memorable.\n\nSeeing myriad theories from the lens of time has helped my knowledge stick.

101 - 125 of 1,444 Reviews for Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition

By M. C

Sep 17, 2018

I have completed courses 1-3 in the first sequence of courses of the Teach English Now! program and all of them have been phenomenal! The program is extremely well constructed and the teachers leading the courses are dynamic, funny, and dedicated to the art of teaching. I can't wait to take more!

By Ahmad A F

Apr 2, 2017

Beautifully compiled course by the team at ASU. Bite-size pieces on some wonderful content relevant to each teacher ACROSS THE WORLD. How can something this nice be practically free! :) Thank you ASU! keep up the good work - you are enriching & empowering the lives of teachers all over the world!

By Angelyn C L

Jan 18, 2020

I really learned a lot from this course. I thought I knew many things about this already but no. This helps me a lot especially as a teacher it refreshes and it adds a lot to what I know.. This course is very worth to take. Double thumbs up to very good instructors and developers of this course.

By Fatih

Jan 6, 2020

it is very nice. but like in any other subject history and theories they are really boring. it is very necessary to learn and get lessons from those. however teachers did great job by explaining very smoothly and professionally. appreciate the expertise.. great job. Dr Shane and Jessica..Cheers.

By Andres F L V

Aug 11, 2019

Very dynamic and interesting way to learn about the different approaches to teaching languages. It is a historical voyage that takes us to different teachers, theorists and scientists who discussed who learns the language, why he learns it, why and how it is taught and which materials are used.

By Sadia M

Aug 7, 2016

Love the way Dr. Shane is representing different approaches with appropriate dress code & dialogues from previous eras.. I have learned all these methods before in my TESOL course of final year Literature studies. Its like revising all the knowledge that I had learned 6 months back in 2015. (Y)

By Iman H A A

Jan 6, 2021

Although I hate theoretical study material, yet enjoyed the course. I am a banker and like numbers! But honestly it was interesting. Thanks professor Shane you made something interesting form a tedious theoretical study material. I liked the noble you arguing with the devil.

God bless you all.

By Partha S

Aug 16, 2016

Awesome, I only need just one word "awesome" to express what I think of this course. With ease, I've learned about all the historical approaches of language learning; although, I've read these approaches before, but I never understood them so well until now. many thanks to ASU and Shane Dixon.

By Christina F

Feb 13, 2016

This course was really time taking as in it required a committed time to read through and analyze different approaches. I felt like a student after a long time. Thank you Dr. Shane for your different avatars and Ms. Jessica for a very clear summarization. Thanks to all the teachers involved.

By N N S R

Oct 20, 2016

This is course is useful for teachers who are interested in teaching English as a second language and particularly who wish to use combinations of historically evolved methods in contemporary teaching. I derived a lot of benefit from the course. I thank all the teachers for their inputs.

By Lindemberg P d S

Apr 23, 2019

Awesome!!! It's pretty interesting to know the development of teaching a foreign language since 19th until the present days! I believe that every foreign or English teacher should have, at least, a basic knowledge of ESL language learning in order improve their skills and lessons better.

By Marina H

Nov 29, 2017

As teachers we have to know differences between Approaches in order to make a class productive. All of these simulated possible activities and techniques for learners to use in our own classes.This course help us how can we implement these ideas . It`s very interesting, funny and useful.

By Monica P C C

Feb 3, 2019

Very good course! I learned the different approaches that an ESL tecaher uses in their courses. Although I instinctively knew some of them, I did not know where they come from or why, and it helped me clarify those doubts, as well as learning many new techniques I can use in the future.

By Konstantin U

Oct 17, 2018

Wonderful! I love how informative and fun the instructor and his team have made the course. The reenactments and role-plays are awesome. The instructor is not only a great teacher, but also a talented actor! The information in the course has substance and is also practical for teaching.

By Lingling Y

Feb 14, 2020

Very enjoyable especially with the time machine going back in time where Dr Shane dressed for the era. Excellent effort. Learnt a lot through the evolution of the theories in language learning. It helps me to recall some of the things i had learnt 6 years back in the Teaching College.

By BUNYAMIN C

Apr 16, 2017

Every lesson I have faced new useful and effective information... Generally this course we have seen some Approaches, I mean methodology... As you know methodology is a very boring issue but I have seen and gotten them very enjoyable way in this courses' videos. Thank you very much

By Nafisa A

Oct 1, 2020

I would like to thank all the staff of the Teach English Now course staff. The courses are very informative and helpful. Thank you for giving us such a great opportunity to learn online and take courses from professional teachers. I'm very grateful being a part of this community.

By VICKY K

Feb 13, 2016

The way the theories are represented in such a funny way ,it catches your attention.It was a very interesting course in which I learnt the basic theories of Second Language Acquisition and I understood how these theories have formed the current way of teaching.Excellent work!

By Nancy E M

Jan 18, 2016

Absolutely brilliant course. Covers a wide range of language acquisition techniques through the years and the advantages and disadvantages of each, as well as how each one may look like today, what has been kept, and what my be modified and how for use in today's classrooms.

By Polina V

Apr 27, 2020

This is such an important course giving you an overview on history of teaching ESL. I would definately recommend Coursera and this TESOL course to anyone who interested in teaching ESL. Looking forward for next coursers from Arizona State University and Coursera. Thank you.

By hilda m

Nov 26, 2020

Studying with Coursera has been a great journey for me. It has given me the opportunity to recognize my shortcomings in teaching and upgrading my teaching skills/techniques as well. I want to thank everyone- our mentors, my peers and of course Coursera for the big help.

By Marina F

Mar 9, 2019

I really love this course from the get go. Again lovely graphics, engaging teachers and very useful information. Thank you for the sharing this knowledge at such a slow price! I hope education because more accessible like this in the future. Thank you for leading the way.

By Xu H

Nov 17, 2016

From this online course, I have a better understanding of theories of second language acquisiton. The techniques in this course are quite inspiring for me. In my future teaching, I will try more techniques from different theories to help my students learn English better.

By Rakhmonova M

Sep 26, 2020

At university we learned all approaches that we learned during the course. However, I did not have full information about them. Now I learned many new things and I discovered new teaching methods for myself. I really want to share them with others! Thank you very much!

By Cindy D

Jan 8, 2021

The truly was one of the best academic courses thatr I have taken. It provides plenty of material during the session, as well as readings, and allows prep for exams. Fully prepares me to understand so far what I am getting into. Great teachers, great tech. Excellent.