Back to Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition by Arizona State University

In this course learners are introduced to second or foreign language theories and practices for teaching and assessing listening, speaking, and pronunciation. Learners will also be introduced to basic studies in second language acquisition and their pedagogical implications. Teachers will be invited to recognize the importance of grounding their own teaching philosophy through an examination of purpose, content, and technique....
Highlights
Applicable teachings
(121 Reviews)
Creatively designed course
(270 Reviews)

NZ
Jun 10, 2018

I'm really enjoying this course. I'm about half way through. I'm looking forrward to how the various courses in this series take me farther and farther into language learning theories and techniques.

ZY
Oct 10, 2018

Teachers are great. The course is fun and informative. I love this specialization. I look forward to completing all the courses as soon as possible. I highly recommend this course and specialization.

1526 - 1540 of 1,540 Reviews for Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition

By W.arina

May 2, 2016

the content should be presented more interesting.

By Rocio

By brenda m

Jan 11, 2021

By jlsellers

Mar 14, 2020

I loved the other courses but this one was unfortunately deadly boring to me. I enjoyed the devil angel parts and also the attempts at drama but the way the tests were done it was so confusing. There was so much overlap in the way things have been done. I had to go back into the modules , and verbatim write down exactly what the teachers were saying in order to get the answers correct instead of understanding the general principleswhich I was hoping for. Surely there is a better way to explain these different methods and Link sound bites so we can remember them and access them more easily.

By Steve K

Nov 5, 2020

The videos are nice but I would have liked to see more written materials/notes. It's kind of ironic that a course about teaching techniques heavily emphasizes one way of learning (listening) and doesn't appreciate that some people prefer to read/learn on their own. Also, I don't like the deadlines and having to wait on other students to complete their assignments to finish the course. I understand the rationale behind this (to make more money) but I'd like the flexibility to finish the course at my own pace.

By Dave B

Jun 6, 2016

These themes felt very surface-level and redundant. The material could likely have been covered more quickly and allowed for more time to be spent on more tangible, every day information that might help those that are not already teachers.

By Mary K

May 7, 2021

The time travel videos really made me cringe. The over-the-top dramatization of it was super distracting, and a lot of it wasn't relevant and could have been done quicker. The tests were really easy though, so that was nice.

By Paul F

Apr 29, 2020

The acting in the videos seemed too immature for an adult audience, and I felt that the over-the-top nature of it detracted from the course content.

By Oyeleye A

Apr 16, 2020

Not so relevant to my purpose. The promotion of the course was misleading. I had thought it was the Tesol course with certificate.

By G P

Jun 25, 2020

Real hard to follow the concepts as the over-dramatization is distracting and doesn't always explain the concepts being tested.

By Vanessa R

Jan 20, 2020

I took this class because I thought it would give me a good introduction to online teaching. It also looked tempting because it offered the option to take the practicum; however, when it's being offered at $1,000, I expect this class to be worth the cost. It's not. The first quiz is ridiculously hard (it took me three or four days to pass it), then you get to module 3 and the quizzes are way too easy. There is very little content, and a lot of contrived scenarios with foreign teachers (there is no effort to pretend they're overseas, as the dialogues basically repeat what's already been introduced except for one or two instances where we get additional information that's useful, but the backdrops are clearly fake). The whole thing with Brandon isn't informative (it could be any person), and the clips from the voxy are basically all the same thing. I really do not recommend this class if you're looking for something substantial; there's just very little worthwhile information. If this is an indication of the quality of the vox, then the voxy is very poor and not worth it unless it were free which it isn't - and the price for an educational experience that looks like this class is just not worth it.

By Edward T

Jan 9, 2021

The goofy videos are bit time consuming. Try ti keep your videos simple and straightforward

Dec 29, 2020

sorry for saying this but this course wasn't useful for me at all so I want to unenroll it.

By Aryamanya P

Jul 29, 2020

It has been a nice experience to enroll this course because I have learnt a lot.