Back to Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition by Arizona State University

In this course learners are introduced to second or foreign language theories and practices for teaching and assessing listening, speaking, and pronunciation. Learners will also be introduced to basic studies in second language acquisition and their pedagogical implications. Teachers will be invited to recognize the importance of grounding their own teaching philosophy through an examination of purpose, content, and technique....
Highlights
Applicable teachings

(121 Reviews)

Creatively designed course

(270 Reviews)

AA

Jun 21, 2021

Interesting courses! I am learning a lot. Thank you very much Coursera. I have just completed course 2 and been delivered a certificate but I just can't access my new course. What should I do, please?

AS

Dec 29, 2021

I enjoyed taking this course. Even though I don't like the peer-grading system in general, within this course it makes sense. It is always interesting to hear other people's opinions and experiences.

1751 - 1775 of 1,780 Reviews for Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition

By Mariette R

Dec 20, 2015

L

By Karen S

Apr 22, 2022

The historical review of the development of language teaching is super interesting to me but the way it is taught is not university standard. I've had enough poor quality teacher / prof. role models, seen enough of them in film & theater, I don't need more of that. It totally takes away from the learning enjoyment about that, wastes time instead of presenting more interesting information about it all. There is a lot more room for a good academic presentation of all of that. It's too much clowing around instead of teaching us real useful information. That time machine is a waste of time, the year in bold letters once is enough. Do not make use of biblical themes since that is mocking the Bible and God in this way. If one does that without understanding this, it releases the 2nd heaven demomic energies onto the earth since the spiritual is alive & active which is very danergous. That is very poorly done. The way he presents angels as weak with an indication of being gay is totally unacceptable. Angels are messangers of God who deliver very clear messanges. They are immensely powerful and can kill those who disoby God. I highly recommend to re-do this class as fast as possible. That film credit at the end is a waste of time and annoying.

By Armindo G F G

Jul 31, 2017

I had taken this course with a serious mind set, to go all the way till de end; it was very unfortunate that I travelled last year for treatment, due to my health condition; this happened on late March 2016. Later on, by the time I came back home, some unfortunate robbers had stolen my computer, as well as my tablet and other documents, all of them in a brief case. Since last year I could not do anything at all. I am working now with a borrowed computer form a friend of mine. I hope this time I will make up for lost time and move forward with faith, as far as I can. Thank you very much.

By Thomáz D

Apr 19, 2020

Both teachers were great in providing an introduction to the different theories of second language acquisition. However, I wish the content was deeper regarding each approach, or, at the very least, that we were provided with more guidance regarding which books and articles to read from the most important authors in the field.

By Mariia N

Dec 2, 2019

Really annoying and unfunny, but I learned something through completing the table. Had to read transcripts because videos (especially angel and devil debates) were unbearable. The teacher is a bad actor and he could have explained it normally. So the contents are good, but the way of presenting material is just embarrassing.

By Joelle H

Nov 30, 2016

Some of the videos weren't as clear as the previous course's videos. I suggest less gimmicks and more focus on learning the history. I will admit there were times I was lost on the quizzes because the videos weren't clear enough.

By Alba L

Jul 17, 2019

In my opinion, it's too much content, and the tasks are very repetitive. The information and the way the professor explains is excellent, as well as the examples he gives to the teachers.

By Reem K

Feb 26, 2016

i dont want to know the history of language and the pendulum swing i just want a list short and simple in a single 20 min video and move one. this was so boring

By Ahmed W A

Jul 13, 2018

Actually, I was not always interested in studying history of teaching. This course helped me a lot to know what style I'm following, though.

By Lizeth D M

Mar 22, 2021

I know the importance about the different approaches about teaching English but I have to admit that I felt it long.

By David L

Dec 20, 2016

Less is more. Not always, but it would be in this case. A lot of the lectures are unwatchable for me.

By Saif A J A

Feb 12, 2019

The course has lost a lot of its value due to overacting!

By W.arina

May 2, 2016

the content should be presented more interesting.

By Rocio

By brenda m

Jan 11, 2021

By jlsellers

Mar 14, 2020

I loved the other courses but this one was unfortunately deadly boring to me. I enjoyed the devil angel parts and also the attempts at drama but the way the tests were done it was so confusing. There was so much overlap in the way things have been done. I had to go back into the modules , and verbatim write down exactly what the teachers were saying in order to get the answers correct instead of understanding the general principleswhich I was hoping for. Surely there is a better way to explain these different methods and Link sound bites so we can remember them and access them more easily.

By Paul F

Apr 29, 2020

The acting in the videos seemed too immature for an adult audience, and I felt that the over-the-top nature of it detracted from the course content.