Back to First Step Korean

Learner Reviews & Feedback for First Step Korean by Yonsei University

AN

PW
May 27, 2021

useful course for fundamental learners. Everyone can take this course easily.\n\nthe instructor gives me good teaching and more information.\n\nI can basically talk to Korean after finished the class.

9101 - 9125 of 10,000 Reviews for First Step Korean

Oct 12, 2016

c

By Patricia B

Jul 27, 2019

It's a really good course to go from cero knowledge to very basic knowledge. In particular, the lessons in weeks one and two are very well-paced and the explanations given in the videos are clear and concise. The teacher takes time to enunciate and to explain the pronunciations of the vocabulary used in every lesson, which is of great help since Korean pronunciation is very nuanced and hard to understand the difference between the similar-sounding sounds.

As an area of improvement, I would consider reviewing the reading material since it's very scarce. It holds all the vocabulary as well as additional exercises that the student can attempt on their own before watching the videos to do corrections, however, there are no actual explanations of the grammar learned in each lesson. Particularly in weeks 3 and 4 where grammar gets a bit more complicated, the explanation in the video is not enough to truly understand what the rules are and students who learn more by understanding grammar could use a more fleshed out explanation in the reading material.

Overall I do recommend it, it's a great introduction and it's not too heavy, so someone who is a full-time employee or student can still pass this course easily.

By Svjetlana B

Jun 27, 2021

I enjoyed the course overall. It was quite detailed and very grammar-centred. I appreciate the materials being downloadable too, so that students can review all the lessons. A very good introduction to Korean.

Potential students should be patient and methodical - if you're used to the Western 'fun and games'/interactive approach to language learning, this is not it. You need to be a self-starter with a decent attention span, as there is a lot of information to digest in a short amount of time (unless you set very generous deadlines).

You also need to be aware that the Korean words are not transcribed so you will need to learn the symbols very quickly in order to do well. I confess this was the aspect that tripped me up the most.

A few other things that slowed me down during the course: the Korean lettering was at times far too small and densely packed for non-native eyes to follow at natural speed; Korean sounds are difficult to differentiate (more focus on this would have been appreciated); and tests are graded but no feedback is provided (correct answers with explanations would have been great!).

Final words of wisdom: enjoy the course - you have nothing to lose and everything to gain!

By Lidiya N

May 10, 2019

Good course but not as good as the Chinese courses that I take through Peking from courersa. I think it leaves a lot of gaps in learning. The Korean language has both formal and informal and how this class is taught is very formal. I wanted a combination of both. It doesn't also get into detail how korean sentences can be versatile. Furthermore, I took the course to get a better grip on reading and writing since that's the hardest part for me but it jumps through so quickly without offering students to learn to read in different ways. For example, children and many adults are more visual people. My Chinese course through Peking university gives you exercises with visuals as well. I believe that helps in retaining and understanding the reading element better. I expected more from Yonsei since it's a top university so a bit disappointed but it's not a bad course and like I said still useful in it's own way. Although, many of the vocabularies are completely useless for everyday life. I wish more of the typical vocabulary was included. Honestly, the talk to me in Korean material I ordered online is better.

By Iraia M N

Sep 8, 2017

To start learning Korean I think this course is a good way to do it. It has vocabulary, it has grammar and to start learning ways to introduce yourself and see how do you feel about this language I think it helps a lot. Because if you start with a lot of difficult grammar and stuff like that it'd maybe scare you but with little introductions about what do you do or about things you like it seems a friendly language. I'm looking for the next Yonsei's course and I hope it goes as well as this one. I recommend it to people who wants to start learning Korean.

(If I had to say something bad it's that sometimes it doesn't explain exactly the grammar points. I mean, they show you how to say something but then they use another different example and don't explain you why it's different to the first one. I don't know if this makes sense but if you start doing this course our you already have done it, you'll understand me).

감사합니다 승해강 선생님 ^^

By Rebeca Z

May 2, 2020

This is a great language course! It's my first time learning Korean and I was able to keep up and learn so much. The course takes us from the very basic steps of learning the Korean language (reading hangul) to introducing ourselves and asking/answering questions about our daily routines. It goes without saying that you need to actually put in the effort to learn a new language. You can't expect to simply watch the lessons and absorb all the information.

The only reason I don't give it 5 stars is that I feel like it is missing some important and basic information for people who are traveling to Korea, such as asking someone to repeat himself or to speak slower, asking "how do you say this" is Korean. Still, I'm glad I was able to do this course and I was honestly a little sad when it was over. I will definitely keep practicing what I learned so far and look for new courses to keep learning Korean!

By Scott K

Mar 3, 2016

I learned Korean nearly 20 years ago and decided to work through this course as a refresher. The course is fairly well done. The pace is a little aggressive, which is fine if you take your time to learn each lesson before moving on. Language courses are not the kind where you can just listen and then take the quiz. Slow down. Practice.

By week four the speakers in the audio files were speaking on a level where I was having difficulty distinguishing some of the words. In particular, the differences between the 20th and 21st of the month can be somewhat challenging for a beginning speaker of Korean. On the quizzes, I slowed down and repeated some of the audio. Even so, I missed a few questions. I think the course should take more care in producing the audio files and planning the questions. Some of those my be nearly impossible for beginners to get correct.

By Nadia H

Oct 18, 2020

Everything was spectacular, my only request is that some of the questions in the quizzes or paragraphs in the lessons had words that I had not learned yet. It would be nice to have a look at all the vocabulary used, even if that also means attaching a list of all the words learned in the Week. The next thing is that some of the explanations felt insufficient when I was doing the lessons. The family introductions had essentially 2 ways to answer the question, but I don't feel like it was explained enough how the answers differed. Same with some of the particle endings explanations. A review of the particle endings learned and their differences would be appreciated too. I know it's only beginner Korean, but I think it would definitely help. I will be reviewing the lessons again in my own time. I hope there is a "Second Step Korean" in the future.