Back to Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects by McMaster University

This course gives you easy access to the invaluable learning techniques used by experts in art, music, literature, math, science, sports, and many other disciplines. We’ll learn about the how the brain uses two very different learning modes and how it encapsulates (“chunks”) information. We’ll also cover illusions of learning, memory techniques, dealing with procrastination, and best practices shown by research to be most effective in helping you master tough subjects. Using these approaches, no matter what your skill levels in topics you would like to master, you can change your thinking and change your life. If you’re already an expert, this peep under the mental hood will give you ideas for: turbocharging successful learning, including counter-intuitive test-taking tips and insights that will help you make the best use of your time on homework and problem sets. If you’re struggling, you’ll see a structured treasure trove of practical techniques that walk you through what you need to do to get on track. If you’ve ever wanted to become better at anything, this course will help serve as your guide. This course can be taken independent of, concurrent with, or prior to, its companion course, Mindshift. (Learning How to Learn is more learning focused, and Mindshift is more career focused.) To join the fully translated Portuguese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprender To join the fully translated Spanish version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprendiendo-a-aprender To join the fully translated Chinese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/ruhe-xuexi...

JR

Mar 07, 2019

This course was eye-opening. I learned so many great techniques that I can immediately incorporate into my daily life. Thank you so much to the creators of this course for such invaluable information.

GG

Sep 10, 2016

This is a course which I enjoyed. It gave a good insight of the learning methodologies which we have often heard of but not given due importance. Also, the brain facts is cool :) My 5/5 to this course

226 - 250 of 13,308 Reviews for Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

By Einar P

Dec 16, 2018

Very interesting content and effective teaching. However, the quizzes are too easy so in order to really benefit from the course I think it's important to take responsibility and do retrieval practice "offline".

By Mariam G

Dec 14, 2018

Awesome Course, thanks very much to Barbara Oakley.

By Tangthai D

Dec 15, 2018

You make me understand, What I have done badly in my life and point it out how to fix it. Thank you

By MaisuJabi

Dec 16, 2018

My first and more enjoyable MOOC. After this one, my way of learning has change for ever. Thanks so much.

By Kasbe

Dec 15, 2018

Really useful information that can be applied to ANYTHING

By Patricia H

Dec 16, 2018

What an excellent and practical course!

By Olena O

Jan 01, 2019

helped me a lot!

By Alexander N

Jan 02, 2019

Lots of new insights about learning, very useful.

By Кондратенко Р В

very useful knowledge

By Sonja L

Jan 02, 2019

As a chronic procrastinator, I usually get work done in the most stressful way possible because I've never found the motivation to get past all the excuses I make for not starting earlier, even after researching so many study techniques and hacks. This course has been amazing in explaining the reasons that commonly praised techniques work in terms of how our brain actually functions. For example, I have heard that revising at longer intervals will help you remember more information. In contrast, Barbara Oakley explains that spaced repetition will consolidate information from your short-term memory into your long-term memory, as the information won't be considered unimportant and erased from your neural networks. Knowing why these techniques work really motivates me to actually use them.I learnt so many new approaches to studying and life in general in LHTL. I highly recommend it as a way to boost productivity, minimise stress and feel better about the process of studying as something to look forward to, now that there's a framework behind it!

By Erol B

Jan 02, 2019

This is the best course I have ever taken.

By BorgCat

Jan 02, 2019

Highly recommended if you are interested in becoming a better learner. Especially useful for students. tons of useful optional material as well.

By hosam a

very good course

By Deborah N

Exceptionally good

All teachers and high school students should take it as baseline training to enhance innovation and good use of acquired knowledge

By Alexander N

Jan 02, 2019

One of the best self-development courses I have ever taken

By Mohak P

Jan 02, 2019

This course is one of the greatest courses on the coursera. Though it is free, it provides valueble information and tools to help anyone who is trying to learn something new.

By Jack M

Jan 03, 2019

the best thing i have ever learned in my life, this is an essential skill that every person needs in order to perform better in any aspect of his life.

By Itamar A T

Jan 02, 2019

Excellent material and the optional interviews should not be optional.

Thanks Dr. Barbara and Dr.Terrence for such enlightening material.

By Elsayed D E M

Very Useful and fantastic course

By Sai C A

Dec 18, 2018

The world needs more Barbara Oakleys. Fantastic course and definitely a recommendation to anyone interested in taking any courses online. The material was amazing and wholesome enough to achieve the purpose, and Mrs Barbara's teaching style, passion and her enthusiasm moved my heart. I'm changed in the way I view learning now and I feel more ready to approach it. Her efforts in compiling this comprehensive information and additional interviews and reading/video materials were just too good. Dr Terrence was amazing and I loved everything he had to say, both together we're able to take a wholesome approach to tackling so many issues. Thank you so much for your efforts, I bet there are too many that feel the same as I do.

By Nikhil B

Dec 19, 2018

A really insightful course on learning practically.

By Tony G

Dec 17, 2018

A great investment for your mind.

By Valerio C

Dec 17, 2018

This is a very interesting course. I've gained a better understanding on the the learning process, how the brain works on keeping the information, what are the most common errors or obstacle on learning something new and some useful habit or tricks to learn in a more fruitful fashion. I've really appreciate the competence and teach style of the two teachers which I'd like to thank for their work. I strongly recommend this course, especially for students in high school and University because it contains helpful information on how to be more proficient in text or exams. The course could seem less apt for workers and employees, but for someone who wants to get better in what he does and fails on regular basis, this should be a great starting point.

By Fernando A

It's a game changer!

By kristen j

Dec 18, 2018

very useful course for students