Back to Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects by McMaster University

This course gives you easy access to the invaluable learning techniques used by experts in art, music, literature, math, science, sports, and many other disciplines. We’ll learn about the how the brain uses two very different learning modes and how it encapsulates (“chunks”) information. We’ll also cover illusions of learning, memory techniques, dealing with procrastination, and best practices shown by research to be most effective in helping you master tough subjects. Using these approaches, no matter what your skill levels in topics you would like to master, you can change your thinking and change your life. If you’re already an expert, this peep under the mental hood will give you ideas for: turbocharging successful learning, including counter-intuitive test-taking tips and insights that will help you make the best use of your time on homework and problem sets. If you’re struggling, you’ll see a structured treasure trove of practical techniques that walk you through what you need to do to get on track. If you’ve ever wanted to become better at anything, this course will help serve as your guide. This course can be taken independent of, concurrent with, or prior to, its companion course, Mindshift. (Learning How to Learn is more learning focused, and Mindshift is more career focused.) To join the fully translated Portuguese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprender To join the fully translated Spanish version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprendiendo-a-aprender To join the fully translated Chinese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/ruhe-xuexi To join the fully translated French version of the course, visit : http://www.coursera/learn/apprendre-comment-apprendre...

RS

Sep 07, 2015

I am a more effective learner as a result of this course. It has also, surprisingly, increased my enjoyment while learning. Thanks to Barbara and Terry for a well presented and informative production.

JR

Mar 07, 2019

This course was eye-opening. I learned so many great techniques that I can immediately incorporate into my daily life. Thank you so much to the creators of this course for such invaluable information.

76 - 100 of 10,000 Reviews for Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

By Andrew W

Jan 29, 2019

Great course and, as a teacher, has given me scientific basis for the teaching methods we use in class.

By idani m

Jan 15, 2019

Il est très bien ce cours, j'ai eu des conseils pour stimuler ma mémoire et éviter la procrastination.

By Wesley J P

Jan 28, 2019

This course provided helpful practical guidance and implementation of effective learning techniques.

By Weiyong X

Jan 14, 2019

This course is very helpful. I should really start applying these techniques to my own learning!

By Maxim F

Jan 27, 2019

This is a great course for EVERYONE, who is willing to live a BETTER life. Thank you SO much.

By Maxim P

Jan 29, 2019

This course is short and simple yet extremely powerful! It is definitely worth your time.

By Kim P

Jan 27, 2019

I am a high school teacher, and I learned so much more than I thought I would. Thank you.

By RAJ W

Jan 14, 2019

Of of the best courses that i did. Both the instructors are amazing. Thank you so much.

By CarlosMogrovejo

Jan 28, 2019

A stellar course, I have no regrets taking it and I am very happy with what I learned!

By Jakub S

Nov 02, 2019

I loved quiz questions and answers (some of the not correct one were hilarious).

By MUHAMMAD A

Jan 15, 2019

An excellent course . Techniques are very useful which include in course.

By Mohamed S M A H

Jan 14, 2019

I like it too much it is very helpful material ....thank you

By Amr E

Jan 16, 2019

Amazing and useful course..it’s really help me

By Lin J

很赞,改变了自己对学习的很多看法,能够让自己更好地,更有效率地安排时间和进行学习。

By Симкина Е И

Jan 28, 2019

Very informative and super useful!

By Suzan H

Mar 25, 2019

We love learning how to learn

By Кучер А Д

Jan 27, 2019

Very good and usefull course!

By Vsevolod K

Jan 16, 2019

Powerful mental tools!

By N V L

Excellent course

By Diogo C

Sep 25, 2018

In general, the course is very superficial. There are only a handful of useful ideas for learning in general (physical exercise, pomodoro for battling procrastination, analogies, interleaved testing and recall, spaced repetition) that can probably be taken from one of the teachers' TED talk.Another negative for me is that the focus is clearly for high-school students or early college. The final section, especially, is simply about passing exams. It never questions whether exams are actually effective or relevant to learning. Finally, there is the testing in the course. It goes against most of the ideas they taught. All of the questions are multiple-answer, often repeating the videos word for word, relying on superficial cues to finding the correct answer rather than actually knowing the material. The questions are also in the same order that they appear in the videos, which is exactly what they've advised not to do in the videos. Many of the possible answers are also obviously wrong, making it extremely easy to distinguish between the correct answers based on irrelevant information.It's not a completely worthless course, but it should be taken as a very small start, in my opinion. The extra materials (interviews especially) are good, at least giving people paths to follow depending on their specific interests.

By Marcos P

Jun 17, 2019

Based on the reviews I read, my expectations for this course were pretty high. However, the course ended up being very basic and I didn't learn any new learning technique. I think that for most people who have Googled study methods at least once, they will already be familiar with most (if not all) of the methods introduced in the course. The material may be useful for someone totally new to studying, but even then I would not recommend taking it. You can learn just as much is less time watching YouTube videos or reading brief guides on procrastination and learning techniques.

The quality of the course was also disappointing. The volume in each video jumped up and down across lessons or when different speakers took the lead. I am surprised to see there's so much hype around this course despite its simplistic content and poor quality. I've taken more than a dozen courses at Coursera so far and this one doesn't even come close to the best ones I took.

I'd recommend finding something better to invest your time on.

By Jack M

Sep 12, 2017

It really didn't help, and all the test questions and answers were jumbled and hard to understand. And i found it extremely difficult to follow along with the videos which just made my quizzes that much harder. It's a good course and all, just not organized and everything the people were saying sounded exactly like the last one. Good idea and concept just not well prepared.

By Matthew B

Jan 12, 2019

Some interesting information is presented that could be potentially helpful to students, teachers, & curriculum developers. However, there is little of practical value beyond a few simple statements, e.g. "Spread out your studying over several days." Or "Trying to remember is better than re-reading." Additionally, the course does not practise or model what it preaches.

By Arman Z

May 23, 2019

Most of the information I learned was either already known to me or not that effective. I prefer more exercises and practical methods that would teach me discipline and let me implement the methods I've learned. The tests after each material are good and helpful for remembering the information; however, they are not practical to implement the methods themselves

By Abroskin G S

Aug 26, 2017

The content is nice -- a few useful techniques with some scientific foundations, but why Barbara after EACH video reminds us her name, and this strange arrows with very unpleasant sound in the start of the videos about chunking -- why? There are a lot of things I can not understand in the production part, but overall course is worth taking in 1.5x+ speed.