Back to Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects by McMaster University

This course gives you easy access to the invaluable learning techniques used by experts in art, music, literature, math, science, sports, and many other disciplines. We’ll learn about the how the brain uses two very different learning modes and how it encapsulates (“chunks”) information. We’ll also cover illusions of learning, memory techniques, dealing with procrastination, and best practices shown by research to be most effective in helping you master tough subjects. Using these approaches, no matter what your skill levels in topics you would like to master, you can change your thinking and change your life. If you’re already an expert, this peep under the mental hood will give you ideas for: turbocharging successful learning, including counter-intuitive test-taking tips and insights that will help you make the best use of your time on homework and problem sets. If you’re struggling, you’ll see a structured treasure trove of practical techniques that walk you through what you need to do to get on track. If you’ve ever wanted to become better at anything, this course will help serve as your guide. This course can be taken independent of, concurrent with, or prior to, its companion course, Mindshift. (Learning How to Learn is more learning focused, and Mindshift is more career focused.) To join the fully translated Portuguese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprender To join the fully translated Spanish version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprendiendo-a-aprender To join the fully translated Chinese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/ruhe-xuexi...

JR

Mar 07, 2019

This course was eye-opening. I learned so many great techniques that I can immediately incorporate into my daily life. Thank you so much to the creators of this course for such invaluable information.

GG

Sep 10, 2016

This is a course which I enjoyed. It gave a good insight of the learning methodologies which we have often heard of but not given due importance. Also, the brain facts is cool :) My 5/5 to this course

151 - 175 of 13,308 Reviews for Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

By Youcef B

Jan 30, 2019

J'ai appris beaucoup de choses, il ne reste plus qu'a mettre en application

By Elizabeth L C

Jan 31, 2019

Great introduction to current understanding of effective and efficient learning techniques ie. recall, interleaving, spaced repetition, pomodoro etc.. New neurons forming throughout life in the hippocampus (memory) and recess/exercise is the best enforcer of these new memories/learning....as is sleep!!

By Zoey Z

Jan 19, 2019

Definitely a course that one should not miss if he or she want to learn new subject after school. This course provides so many simple and powerful tool, with their mechanism well explained in the videos. I just love it and will recommend to my friends.

By Darious N

Jan 19, 2019

GREAT COURSE: Are you a passionate learner but sometimes feel that you could do better with your learning? Well, this course could do magic for you. I have loved every bit of the course from the moment I signed up. It has given me an opportunity on reflect on my learning and the effectiveness of the methods I use. The course takes a deep look into how the brain works and how we can make our brains better because brains are the part of the body responsible for our learning. The facilitators especially Terry made me feel like I have studied the brain for loving. Barbara keeps on provide valuable techniques for learning which i surely wouldn't have known if I didn't take this course. Thanks for those tips. As a result of this course, I am sure that my learning and study time is going to be more enjoyable and I hope to improve my grades in my masters study because the techniques and tips from here can not leave you the same. Same of bad habits like procrastination and last minute study we tackled and ideas to overcome them provided. Who am I to remain the same? I am truly grateful to God that I found this course. A big thank you to the facilitators once again and Coursera for this Knowledge. I highly recommend anyone looking to improve their learning methods to start with this course if he/she has not done it. If you are indeed passionate about learning, this course could do all the Magics for you. Thank you

By B. P P

Jan 20, 2019

This course is a blessing. I really express my gratitude to Dr. Barbabra Oakley and Dr. Terrence Sejnowski and all the others for cumulating all the resources , designing it to perfection and coming up with this course. Thank you, once again.

By Cynthia J

Jan 20, 2019

This course is fantastic. The quality of the course lectures, resources, tips, strategies, and assessments were impressive. I enjoyed the time spent taking this course. Spending time with Dr. Oakley and Dr. Sejnowski was the dopamine I needed to fight my zombies.

By Liujie

Jan 21, 2019

37/5000

I have gained a lot from learning this course, and I believe I will gain more than before in the future

By Kevin C

Very useful

By Barbara K

Feb 01, 2019

Extremely helpful course. I learned more helpful and usable information than I ever thought I would.

By Alessandro C

Feb 01, 2019

Very well organized and efficient. All the contents are very interesting and stimulating

By Hafthor R

Jan 31, 2019

I really enjoyed this course. It has practical information and methods that you can start applying to your study routine after every lesson.

I have already recommended it to some of my classmates.

By Vinaya S

Feb 02, 2019

Powerful course which has enabled to think differently

By Arun S

Feb 02, 2019

This is a wonderful course covering all aspects of learning right from understanding a topic to retention in memory and applying the knowledge as and when required.

By Lorena P d l T

Feb 01, 2019

Lovely explained. Keeps you motivated and focused.

By Thomas C

Feb 01, 2019

This is a great course. The facilitators are great. The course demonstrates how powerful online learning can be. I also enjoyed reading the assignments written by my fellow students on the course. Thanks to Barbara and Terrence for all their work creating the course.

By Laureline R

Jan 31, 2019

Loved the way the lessons were built, so many good practical tips that I'll be able use not only to learn something new, but also professionally when working on projects and continuous improvement activities.

By Mahesh Y

Feb 01, 2019

It is a wonderful course.

By Marguerite C

Feb 01, 2019

This MOOC was life changing, thank you so much!

By Lyudmyla

Feb 02, 2019

Thanks to the teachers for the course. This course has a lot of useful information to improve your learning and achieve personal goals.

By Michelet G

Jan 31, 2019

Very interesting course, wish I could have taken when I was still studying at school ! However it is not the point shown during the videos, I will now try some of the technics mentioned to continue learning in the future !

By Martin S

Feb 01, 2019

Very well planned and really helpful. A lot of useful, practical tips and techniques as well as logical and thorough explanations.

By Maurice E

Feb 01, 2019

This course is very practical and the knowledge gained is balanced by plenty of opportunities to work things out and actually use them. I highly recommend this course for everybody! I've passed on a link to this course to my son, if that tells you anything about the degree to which I believe this course is just plain GREAT!

By Ahmed E

Feb 02, 2019

Amazing course, it made me reaslise how much we suffer learning instead of enjoying. EXTERMLY RECOMMENDED!!

By Ryan D

Feb 03, 2019

This course is something that should be a pre-requisite for all learners. I wish I would have learned some of these key concepts before I entered high school and college!

By Lokesh K

Feb 03, 2019

One of the foundational courses everyone must take before starting their exciting journey on the educational paradise of coursera.