Back to Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects by Deep Teaching Solutions

This course gives you easy access to the invaluable learning techniques used by experts in art, music, literature, math, science, sports, and many other disciplines. We’ll learn about how the brain uses two very different learning modes and how it encapsulates (“chunks”) information. We’ll also cover illusions of learning, memory techniques, dealing with procrastination, and best practices shown by research to be most effective in helping you master tough subjects. Using these approaches, no matter what your skill levels in topics you would like to master, you can change your thinking and change your life. If you’re already an expert, this peep under the mental hood will give you ideas for turbocharging successful learning, including counter-intuitive test-taking tips and insights that will help you make the best use of your time on homework and problem sets. If you’re struggling, you’ll see a structured treasure trove of practical techniques that walk you through what you need to do to get on track. If you’ve ever wanted to become better at anything, this course will help serve as your guide. This course can be taken independent of, concurrent with, or prior to, its companion course, Mindshift. (Learning How to Learn is more learning-focused, and Mindshift is more career-focused.) A related course by the same instructors is Uncommon Sense Teaching. To join the fully translated Portuguese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprender To join the fully translated Spanish version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprendiendo-a-aprender To join the fully translated Chinese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/ruhe-xuexi To join the fully translated French version of the course, visit : http://www.coursera.org/learn/apprendre-comment-apprendre...

JR
Oct 22, 2017

This Course Is awesome it gave me a new look on how my brain works and that i should actually take breaks which is probably why i get frustrated. I am Excited to Put what i have learned into practice.

ZL
Nov 22, 2015

First MOOC that I can accomplish, even in my busiest days, because I'm motivated to learn the lessons taught in it and I like the teacher and class format (small videos and always repeating concepts).

176 - 200 of 10,000 Reviews for Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

By Michael S

Feb 1, 2016

While the instructors may be well versed in their fields, I felt the course took too long to get to the meat of the issue. I suppose I wanted a faster-paced course without a lot of hand-holding.

By mona

Oct 6, 2016

this is a good course but if you think better and deeply you will understand that deep inside you your self know this things but maybe you did not do in daily life.

By Pan D

Oct 11, 2021

Although some ideas are useful, the lectures are overloaded with side stories and obvious things. I think this course would be best for students in primary school

By Paul T

Nov 24, 2015

Didn't learn as much as expected about learning how to learn. Maybe my expectations were too high.

By joan b

Oct 6, 2015

Really basic, with some interesting stuff but could be reduced to a third of the time...

By LEELA H K

Aug 26, 2017

Very basic and useful only for the students in high school... not for professionals.

By Tor G S

Apr 1, 2016

Boring techniques for remembering.

Nothing related to learning or understanding.

By nadia d

Apr 27, 2017

i think the coming classes will be great more than that ... but it's good

By annabelle r

May 31, 2017

The interview at the end was the best part of this course.

By PAVAN R D

Oct 13, 2016

extremely easy and sparse content.

By Teera L

Sep 27, 2015

I want it to be more exciting.

By Jithu N K

Oct 17, 2015

superb course I ever had

By Yevhen M

Jun 20, 2020

The first chapter was pretty good. But everything else was just obvious things - check summaries and you will see. Learn, do breaks, sleep well, do sport, don't forget to repeat what've learnt. There are some interesting facts but they are not worth spent time.

By Horia C

Jun 13, 2016

This is definitely a course for someone that has finished a higher degree. if you've done that, there's a very big change that you already know about 90%-95% of the techniques presented in thous course.

By Lidia d C M M

Mar 28, 2016

ME DECEPCIONA LA FALTA DE TRADUCCIÓN AL ESPAÑOL.

NO puedo responder las preguntas porque no sé inglés.

Espero se solucione este problema para continuar.

Gracias.

Lidia Menares M

By Chayton C

May 4, 2020

really slow videos with 0 detail, really weird questions after videos with answers such as "a million billion" idk what this is supposed to be

By Harley F

Nov 18, 2020

Too long and boring, im sorry. i can see the purpose but if it was modernised it would be better

By Colleen B

Jan 31, 2021

The instructors were really bad, it was painful to listen to the course information.

By Artem

Oct 11, 2015

Only part 3 was partly interesting and usefull. All the rest is vain.

By Vasili K

Oct 5, 2020

Water over water. Just selling the books and personalities.

By Manisha B

Nov 29, 2020

I didn’t get my certificate even after completion

By Sebastián

Jun 22, 2016

No hay buena traducción

By Mauro v V

Oct 18, 2019

Fuck this shit

By Chris O

Sep 12, 2015

I broke every rule of efficient and effective learning until I met this course, Dr. Barbara Oakley Dr. Terrence Sejnowski, and the book: “A Mind for Numbers”.

I wish I had met your group and this powerful vehicle of learning earlier –university wouldn’t have been so costly (studying the inefficient way) and the rewards could be even more phenomenal with this awareness. Nevertheless, your incredible work will continue to help mitigate the cost.

Although I maintained good grades through university primarily because of my high enthusiasm, interest and determination to achieve excellence in life–long learning, but the personal cost was undue stress –over studying, keeping many late nights, dependency on caffeine and life-work-family balance. However, I imagined there had to be a better way.

The frustrations and occasionally being at my wits end in solving some of the problems in the computer programming languages I am currently learning have instantly dissipated because of this course. I have completely changed my old and inefficient learning methods and formed new habits for learning.

Amazingly, I failed to solve the triangle problem on the first try at the end of a long day of work and study (after staring at it for about 45mins) in the book: “A Mind For Numbers” by Dr. Barbara Oakley. However, determined, I gave it another shot the next morning, right after waking up -it took me less than 30 seconds to solve. You’ve got to love the diffuse mode…

While I love academia and stand ready to dance with whatever pain it dishes out at me in my life-long learning journey, this course has single-handedly removed current and whatever inherent or perceived pain that may be associated with life-long academic learning for me.

There is a better way to rote learning method -a different, efficient and effective approach… Academic goal or any subject matter no longer need to take many years of painful endurance to achieve or master.

This course has armed me with the ultimate set of tools to expertly construct efficient and effective learning methods with measureable success. Essentially, I have learned how to hack my academic growth and goal.

Finally, in the past, I stumbled upon one or two of the methods taught in this course in academic journals and other articles. However, these occasional, inconsistent and isolated pieces of information were not cohesive to form a powerful enough force to help build a fundamental understanding and practice of efficient learning methods. Additionally, overpowering the well-formed habit of the inefficient rote learning method was a challenge.

Fortunately, this course and the book: “A Mind For Numbers” by Dr. Barbara Oakley, compiled and put all of these scientific data on efficient learning methods in to proper perspective, easy enough for anyone to understand and practice.

In the afterword chapter of the book, Dr. David B. Daniel said it best:

“There has long been a stream of potentially productive study advice coming from scientists. Unfortunately, it has seldom been translated so the average student can easily grasp and use it. Not every scientist has a knack for translation, and not every writer has a firm grasp of the science. In this book, Barbara Oakley threaded this needle beautifully. Her use of vivid examples and explanations of the strategies reveals not only how useful but how credible these ideas are.”

Thank you Dr. Barbara Oakley and the Learning How to Learn Team for a job well done! Your work is indelible in my mind and I can be certain, in others too.

By Ali A P B

Aug 24, 2019

This is the first real elaborated review I´ve done in my life. That´s the kind of impact this course can produce. I felt like I wanted to express my opinion about it and my gratitude. If you are someone who likes learning or teaching, or need to perform those activities in your everyday life for any reason, then you should take this course without hesitation. The information given is so valuable and eye opening. I personally like to read a lot and gain new knowledge about anything, but I always had that little feeling that I was not being truly efficient in doing it, that I was doing something wrong or, going further, that I wasn´t capable or smart enough to retain the information I was trying to learn, because I usually found myself investing a lot of time reading over and over again a material to realize, weeks later, that I had forgotten almost all of it. That, of course, caused me a lot of frustration. I used to feel that I was wasting my time. I knew that the best way to learn something was trough practice, but this course helped me understand how the process of learning really works, the correct way of practicing and the mistakes people usually make (illusions of learning).

I had read years ago a book about memory and memorization (Una Mente Prodigiosa by Ramón Campayo), originally written in spanish (I´m a native spanish speaker), which gave me a lot of insights and tools for memorizing better, but I never applied it to my learning process. This course has filled the gap between memorizing and learning, the missing piece that I needed to complete the puzzle. The tools mentioned in that book are also mentioned here, but joined together with the process of learning subjects completely, with understanding, creativity, flexibility, associations and long term memorization.

I have used the tools given in this course to learn and memorize the course itself, and they have been truly effective. I have also used them in studying in my own area of work, which is mechanical engineering, and also have proven to be quite useful. I now feel that the information stay in my mind for longer, which helps to understand new and more complex concepts better. Of course, memorizing is not learning, real learning comprises a lot of other things, but it´s a very important part of the learning process. If you can´t remember the material, then you can´t use the information to solve anything, to learn new things or to use the information creatively.

I also play the piano, and I have even used some of the information while practicing and learning new songs. This demonstrates that the concepts of the course can be used in any field, as long as you´re learning something.

Another important and pleasant aspect of this course, is the way Dr. Barbara Oakley presents the material. She is so kind and friendly, which gives you the sensation that you are listening to a close friend or someone that you´ve known for a long time. That makes the course material more accessible and enjoyable. Dr. Terry Sejnowski also does a very good job at teaching. They´re just so easy to hear. The material is very clear and well organized.

I will say like Dr. Barbara says very often: I can´t thank you both enough for this course. I´m really grateful. Learning is a lifelong process, and that´s where the importance of this course lies.