Back to Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects by McMaster University

This course gives you easy access to the invaluable learning techniques used by experts in art, music, literature, math, science, sports, and many other disciplines. We’ll learn about the how the brain uses two very different learning modes and how it encapsulates (“chunks”) information. We’ll also cover illusions of learning, memory techniques, dealing with procrastination, and best practices shown by research to be most effective in helping you master tough subjects. Using these approaches, no matter what your skill levels in topics you would like to master, you can change your thinking and change your life. If you’re already an expert, this peep under the mental hood will give you ideas for: turbocharging successful learning, including counter-intuitive test-taking tips and insights that will help you make the best use of your time on homework and problem sets. If you’re struggling, you’ll see a structured treasure trove of practical techniques that walk you through what you need to do to get on track. If you’ve ever wanted to become better at anything, this course will help serve as your guide. This course can be taken independent of, concurrent with, or prior to, its companion course, Mindshift. (Learning How to Learn is more learning focused, and Mindshift is more career focused.) To join the fully translated Portuguese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprender To join the fully translated Spanish version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/aprendiendo-a-aprender To join the fully translated Chinese version of the course, visit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/ruhe-xuexi To join the fully translated French version of the course, visit : http://www.coursera.org/learn/apprendre-comment-apprendre...

OM

Apr 29, 2016

Great course. Took it since it was the most popular MOOC on coursera,. Have started using a few of the techniques and they are very effective. Highly recommended no matter who you are and what you do.

JR

Oct 23, 2017

This Course Is awesome it gave me a new look on how my brain works and that i should actually take breaks which is probably why i get frustrated. I am Excited to Put what i have learned into practice.

126 - 150 of 10,000 Reviews for Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

By William R H

Jun 08, 2020

Excellent. I wish I could have taken this course when I was still in school.

By MUHAMMAD A

Jan 15, 2019

An excellent course . Techniques are very useful which include in course.

By Mohamed S M A H

Jan 14, 2019

I like it too much it is very helpful material ....thank you

By Akash S

Jun 03, 2020

THE coursee was awesome i have learned many new things

By Vishal D

Jun 08, 2020

The world needs courses like this. Thank you so much

By Amr E

Jan 16, 2019

Amazing and useful course..it’s really help me

By Lin J

Jan 14, 2019

很赞,改变了自己对学习的很多看法,能够让自己更好地,更有效率地安排时间和进行学习。

By ISHANI C

Jun 09, 2020

It will really help you in learning.

By Симкина Е И

Jan 28, 2019

Very informative and super useful!

By Suzan H

Mar 25, 2019

We love learning how to learn

By Кучер А Д

Jan 27, 2019

Very good and usefull course!

By Arash F

By Shivani M

It's amazing

By Ian P

Jul 22, 2020

I have taken more than two dozen online courses in a wide range of subject. This is an excellent course filled with universal practical skills and insights to make the most of your own learning potential in any subject or discipline. Just as useful are the tools and tips provided to overcome the most prevalent bad habits and ingrained behavior that impede learning.

The material is presented primarily through short video lectures (less than 10 minutes) in plain spoken English accessible to high school students yet useful to scholars and life-long learners at any age or level. The lectures are supported with abundant supplemental optional videos from learning experts and scholars along with reading from popular articles and professional literature. The lectures are comprehensively documented with references. My only regret is that I didn't learn what is taught here very early in my academic career.

By Mahender K

Jun 08, 2020

User friedly style of the lecturers Barb and Terry impacted possitively and enhanced my comprehenssion as well as retention. I even managed to achieve 96% marks. For me, it has been a great course for rejouvenating my memory as well as boosting my confidence. Mahender Khari, London

By Yechuri K

Jun 09, 2020

Its really an amazing first journey with coursera. The content provided through this course was exquisite.

i have understood all those key mistakes i make while learning and all those obstacles i face while studying.

Mrs. Barbara Oakley [ hats off]

By Dr. P P

Jun 09, 2020

fantastic. the quizzes were really helpful. But some lectures were extended unnecessarily. Like that famous scientist with a big name that babara mentioned that she read the biography.

By Sakshi S S

Very nice explanation

By Jake E P

Sep 22, 2016

What was helpful to me was: the discussion on spaced repetition, which boosted my confidence in applications like Duolingo and Memrise, and helped me discover Anki. The pomodoro technique is nice to know about, though I have rarely used it so far. I think I was already at the point where I don't need an actual pomodoro timer to get into that mindset. The best two things I probably got from the course was changing my way of thinking from focusing on product to focusing on process (though not always possible of course), and using recall to test myself on what I know rather than reading things over and over and just hoping it's gone in.

What I didn't like about the course was the presentation style, the pace, the content density (very low in my opinion), the irrelevant information, the hand-wavey explanations, and so on. The absolute worst of it was the full recommendation for using analogies but with no attempt on explaining how to make *good* anaologies. This is key. Most analogies I come across are misleading for all aspects of a thing but their very narrow scope, and sometimes the thing itself too (after all, you usually make them when you're first learning about a thing, unless you're teaching) and so without knowing how to make good anaologies while they are good for memory they are on average bad for understanding, and I don't think that can be stressed enough.

By Vaibhaw R

Aug 26, 2020

This is a really very theoretical course, not really sure how much I can use this in real life. Let's see.