Back to Mathematics for Machine Learning: Linear Algebra

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mathematics for Machine Learning: Linear Algebra by Imperial College London

In this course on Linear Algebra we look at what linear algebra is and how it relates to vectors and matrices. Then we look through what vectors and matrices are and how to work with them, including the knotty problem of eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and how to use these to solve problems. Finally we look at how to use these to do fun things with datasets - like how to rotate images of faces and how to extract eigenvectors to look at how the Pagerank algorithm works. Since we're aiming at data-driven applications, we'll be implementing some of these ideas in code, not just on pencil and paper. Towards the end of the course, you'll write code blocks and encounter Jupyter notebooks in Python, but don't worry, these will be quite short, focussed on the concepts, and will guide you through if you’ve not coded before. At the end of this course you will have an intuitive understanding of vectors and matrices that will help you bridge the gap into linear algebra problems, and how to apply these concepts to machine learning....

EC
Sep 9, 2019

Excellent review of Linear Algebra even for those who have taken it at school. Handwriting of the first instructor wasn't always legible, but wasn't too bad. Second instructor's handwriting is better.

NS
Dec 22, 2018

Professors teaches in so much friendly manner. This is beginner level course. Don't expect you will dive deep inside the Linear Algebra. But the foundation will become solid if you attend this course.

226 - 250 of 2,065 Reviews for Mathematics for Machine Learning: Linear Algebra

By AKSHAY K

May 17, 2021

Although we have learnt these topics way back in our high schools but here I get the real graphical and applicational understanding of the linear algebra. Now I can visualise thing that how it gonna work so it will definately open new doors to research for me.

By Muhammad Y A

Sep 5, 2020

It's been really fun, It broadens my view about linear algebra and its relation with machine learning. It also helped me a lot to understand the topic which was in my college course. My favorite part was the Gaussian elimination and the Gram-Schmidt Process.

By SINGH S

I would like to say that this was one of the best courses that I've learned online during these difficult times of COVID-19 Pandemic. the teachers professor David Dye and Professor Samuel J Cooper were very friendly in teaching , all my concepts got cleared.

By Sol S

Apr 17, 2021

A really great course for building foundational intuition around linear algebra. Great for data folks who are used to applying libraries (e.g. scikit-learn, numpy, scipy), but want to gain a deeper understanding of what the methods are doing under the hood.

By Juan M E

Sep 6, 2020

Superb course! One of the best I have taken. I already knew linear algebra, but you always find rich tips and different ways of understanding the main topics. Congratulations to both professors. It is quite visible the passion they have and try to share it.

By Anna U

Jan 14, 2020

An excellently simple explanation of concepts of linear algebra. Applause for lector. I really liked this course and found it very useful for those newbies in machine learning like myself. I recommend this course to all my friends and others interested in.

By PRANAD W

Jul 1, 2020

This course has an amazing way of teaching. So u understand the concepts of mathematics that was seeming harder to me before i applied for this course. If you are beginner at Machine learning and worried about mathematics you must go through this course.

By Rishabh T

Aug 6, 2020

This is one of the best courses I have seen in coursera. The material was good and instructors were excellent. The subject and topics were explained in a very simple and interesting manner making it very easy to understand and also fun at the same time.

By Rahul R

Jun 13, 2020

I highly recommend this course to anyone who wants to build a general understanding of linear algebra and its real-world application. Both the instructors are highly capable of communicating the intuition behind every steps and algorithm to the viewers.

By Kamile D

Jun 30, 2021

I​ really enjoyed this course. Although the video material was quite dificult to comprehend at times, it was sensibly put together in short video batches and also with many tests in between that really heped to digest and fully understand the material.

By DASGAONKAR Y N

Jul 12, 2020

This was one of the best courses for linear algebra for a working professionals, students and researchers who want to brush up their skills as this course is very different from the regular book stuff.It was more practical with real world assignments.

By Loc N

Jan 9, 2020

Awesome course! Entertaining and digestible, with great assignments despite some hiccups in file organization and a slight lack of response from admins (understandable because the course is old). It was so awesome that I had to go and tweet the profs.

By Lorenzo

Sep 27, 2019

it's a very well structured and well taught course. The lecturers have the ability to keep the students interested in the subject and the various exercises at the end of each session are a very good way to find out where extra work/research is needed.

By Volodymyr C

Jan 27, 2019

Clearly explained and key equations are derived with good step sizes. Quizzes and assignments are challenging (which is good!) and have high expectations for learners (which is really good for my motivation). Overall, I am really enjoying this course.

By Ion S

Jun 3, 2021

This course was perfect except for the last assignment. It took on average over double the time to complete (including for me), and I died multiple times :). Other than that the course helped me a lot with my understanding about matrices and vectors!

By Agamjyot C

Jun 3, 2020

A really nice course, I had already done a Linear Algebra module in the university. But that was mostly mugging up and not knowing what this is used for. This course's geometric interpretation of all topics, helped me a lot and give a lot of insight.

By Nut P

Mar 25, 2020

The presentation an way of teaching is excellence; however, the course should add more reference or additional source or materials for more in dept detail for the person who feel that the simplified explanation in the course are still not sufficient.

By Steven J R

Feb 25, 2021

So exhausted, but amazed how the computer managed to process this kind of things for us everyday!

The lecturer were so nice and the explanation was so clear and funny too, although there are several assignments (which on my opinion) is sooo hard :((

By Jonathan M

Apr 10, 2020

Extremely helpful. I haven't taken a linear algebra class in almost 5 years and by going through these videos it helped me regain an intuition towards the subject. The videos do a good job of tying the material back to machine learning as a whole.

By Cyprien P

Jul 3, 2020

Great maths refresher content, with very useful 2D geometrics examples helping to build the intuition rather than just explaining the maths. I feel like I can understand this part of linear algebra now, and I know what to search for when I won't.

By Astankov D A

Mar 16, 2020

Great explanation of all the important things, with topical examples and practical tasks. Still, it seemed to me that the course was growing more and more complex exponentially by the end of it, so it was really hard to catch up starting week 4.

By Yiğit A T

Mar 14, 2021

The perfect class to either get introduced to the important parts of Linear Algebra or to brush up your skills. I would definitely suggest anyone take this course for the quality of the lectures, the delivery, and the fun programming exercises!

By Thomas F

Apr 18, 2018

Highly valuable introduction to linear algebra. Maybe the programming assignments are far too easy, while some of the quizzes definitely are hard. And the best part of the course was to introduce www.3blue1brown.com with it's videos on youtube.

By Randy S

May 12, 2020

A good mix of theory in videos, simpler practice problems to reinforce the learnings, and scalable applications in Python. Very much enjoyed the course and feel like I've learned a lot about linear algebra and the applications in data science.

By Ryan M

Apr 10, 2020

I very much enjoyed the content of this class. The professor for the first 4 weeks was great! The professor for the 5th week seemed to move at a slightly faster pace with less in-depth instruction. His visual aids were pretty groovy though.