Back to Mathematics for Machine Learning: Linear Algebra

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mathematics for Machine Learning: Linear Algebra by Imperial College London

In this course on Linear Algebra we look at what linear algebra is and how it relates to vectors and matrices. Then we look through what vectors and matrices are and how to work with them, including the knotty problem of eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and how to use these to solve problems. Finally we look at how to use these to do fun things with datasets - like how to rotate images of faces and how to extract eigenvectors to look at how the Pagerank algorithm works. Since we're aiming at data-driven applications, we'll be implementing some of these ideas in code, not just on pencil and paper. Towards the end of the course, you'll write code blocks and encounter Jupyter notebooks in Python, but don't worry, these will be quite short, focussed on the concepts, and will guide you through if you’ve not coded before. At the end of this course you will have an intuitive understanding of vectors and matrices that will help you bridge the gap into linear algebra problems, and how to apply these concepts to machine learning....

HE
Aug 8, 2021

the instrutors were too good and their explination for the concepts was to the point and it made me realize things in linear algebra I didn't know before although I studied it in school of engineering

CS
Mar 31, 2018

Amazing course, great instructors. The amount of working linear algebra knowledge you get from this single course is substantial. It has already helped solidify my learning in other ML and AI courses.

276 - 300 of 2,067 Reviews for Mathematics for Machine Learning: Linear Algebra

By Liam M

Apr 4, 2018

This is an excellent refresher of vectors and linear algebra, and although I did it years ago in college I still found some new insights from doing this course. Its all explained very well without being bogged down in formailty.

By Rohan A

Jun 9, 2020

Great course guys! I have done a course on Linear Algebra in my university and watched the 3Blue1Brown series on Essence on Linear Algebra. This course was a good recap of the concepts and their applications in machine learning

By Ramy S R

Sep 27, 2020

Excellent course. Material is explained thoroughly through concise short videos with plenty of visualizations that make linear algebra intuitive. Assignments are chosen carefully and the curated python labs are very enjoyable.

By Prateek K S

May 28, 2018

Nice course. This course is very good to build your fundamental knowledge for machine learning. This course gave me very clean and straight forward understand how mathematics play very important role in machine learning field.

By Himanshu G

Jun 13, 2020

Thank you for designing such a wonderful course. I find difficulty in understanding the concepts related to eigenvalue and eigenvectors and Page Rank. Otherwise, the other concepts have been beautifully explained. Thank you!

By Neelam U

Jul 14, 2020

I really enjoyed the application of the abstract mathematical concept to real-world problems. This shift from conventional teaching of the subject makes one realise why math is at the core of all technological developments.

By Liu Z

May 6, 2019

As for Chinese students, this course clearly explain the vectors, vector multiplication in a graph way, which for me is very useful, instead of in many Chinese university, which just state formula of calculating the vector.

By Jurij N

Jun 18, 2018

I was very satisfied with the course. I'm really grateful for the effort they put into the programming exercises, so I finally began to put the theoretical knowledge into code. From now on I am able to experiment by myself.

By Fabricio O

May 22, 2019

Great pace and content very nicely curated. Loved it and will carry on with the specialisation. I am a professor myself and I am also learning a lot about good practices when it comes to teaching. Could not recommend more!

By Aldrich W

Aug 17, 2020

Love this course! Prof. David Dye is exceptionally great at explaining these concepts and the British accent also promotes my learning substantially. I'll definitely take the second course in the specialization very soon.

By Christopher R

Apr 13, 2020

Excellent intuitive course in linear algebra. I had no idea how much I missed during my undergraduate studies. I think I went through this twice and might go through it once more. I would love another course by these two!

By Nacir

Jun 22, 2019

Great course. The instructor is really great (and neat), communicates the ideas really well and if Imperial College London is ranked that high worldwide, it's definitely because they hire professors this good. Thank you.

By Jack B

Sep 16, 2021

A really good course. If you go back when you need to you should understand everything in this course. If you want to visualize some of this stuff I recommend checking out 3blue1brown's linear algebra series on Youtube.

By Vashista V

May 15, 2020

I can now look at Linear Algebra in a completely fresh perspective from an application stand point. The course was neatly mapped out and I really benefited from the excellent content provided by Imperial College London.

By Heikki K

Aug 13, 2021

G​reat refresher course for me. Have an MSc in engineering, but haven't used any of my math skills in over 10 years. Looking to brush up on data analytics, and this was a good starting point along with some statistics.

By Christophe L

Apr 12, 2020

Wonderful Diploma, amazing teachers.

Even a guy like me, a medical doctor socialized in Emergency Medicine, enjoyed a lot this course;

I can't wait to attend to Multivariate Calculus.

By Huang X

May 12, 2018

This course helps me a lot. I don't need to calculate the matrix by hand. I just need to get the concept of what is the matrix doing and use computer to calculate it. This is the most import thing I got in this course.

By Samuel S

Sep 25, 2021

Totally enjoyed all the clear and well-visualized demonstrations of calculations and techniques, along with the fun coding assignments and quizzes that really reinforced my learnings :) Thank you so much, Instructors!

By Christian G S

Apr 17, 2021

Most certainly one of the best basic introductions into Linear Algebra you can get online. Be aware that the topics covered are very basic. Nevertheless, they will set you up with a solid understanding and intuition.

By Tze C L

Nov 27, 2020

Very intuitive and visual explanation of Linear Algebra compared to traditional math courses. This course focuses on the intuition and understanding of the fundamental concepts, rather than tedious rote calculations.

By Katyaini R C

Oct 12, 2020

I liked every part of this course. Yes, I'll need to practice to make the concepts sit better in my head... perhaps re-visit some of my 11th/12th grade textbooks as well. But it was a better starting point than most.

By Vinitha M R

Sep 27, 2020

Thank you all instructors for the efforts undertaken to develop such highly informative lectures with amazing graphics. It was really enlightening to visualize the various concepts we had studied during our academics

By K.L.N. D

Jun 7, 2020

Awesome course for linear algebra basics. I was able to visualize the subject and see how the concepts can be applied to real life applications. The videos were short, interesting, and informative. Great instructors.

By Harshit L

Apr 7, 2020

the basic concepts give you the right intuition on how things work in vectors and matrices.

I strongly recommend this course to the beginners in this field. especially the week4 and week 5 concepts are really helpful.

By Aero M

May 11, 2019

Very good course for building your Linear Algebra foundation. If you are starting with Machine Learning then you should surely go through this course to build your intuition about what is happening behind the scenes.