Back to Mandarin Chinese 1: Chinese for Beginners

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mandarin Chinese 1: Chinese for Beginners by Shanghai Jiao Tong University

Mandarin Chinese 1: Chinese for beginners is a beginner's course of Mandarin Chinese. It uses lectures, short plays, interactive exercises and cultural tips to help learners build a fundamental capability of oral Chinese in real-life situations. At the end of the 5-week course, the learners will reach the following proficiency: ♦ 150 words ♦ 20 language points ♦ handling 5 real-life situations This is a beginners' course, therefore no prerequisite is required....

ME

Nov 09, 2017

This a great course to learn Chinese for real-life purposes. The pace is perfect for adult learners. It's also fun and not stressful at all.

DM

Jul 12, 2017

This course gives you the option to learn the characters or to simply learn the pinyin. The dialogue videos and scripts are very helpful.

1 - 25 of 82 Reviews for Mandarin Chinese 1: Chinese for Beginners

By Patricia F

Apr 03, 2019

Only because my money was invested in this course i stayed.

Introductory indeed, thanks to this course I knew where to start with my Chinese Language acquisition. The sentences given can be used in the real world. But there was a lot to be desired.....

I don't live in a place where I can get much practice face to face and so feel that there should have been more in depth lessons to help what I was learning to stick.

For example, more cultural backgrounds, how one word or phrase could differ in different places, a number of realistic conversations in regular speed not just one scenario using students of the language like myself (I would've been more accepting if the demonstrators weren't so unnatural). There was a lot of things that detracted from the videos.

At times the accent of the instructors from the lesson videos took away from the message, though i wasn't distracted, I wasn't totally present either It took much effort to stay focused. Delivery is important for such a complicated subject.

The App was convenient, I could download the video lessons, and do some of the tests then have them submitted when I had internet access again. But there were some bugs, especially on the new vocabulary page.

The PDF lesson sheets had valuable information in them, I just wish there was a way to have been tested more on those. It was like pouring information into my lap and asking me to learn, and correct myself. I've learned that can hurt language acquisition.

Lastly, the community in my opinion is almost purposeless. I've seen comments sit unanswered and conversations unexplored for months on end. This would have been no big deal if my grade didn't depend on another persons involvement in the course. The final Peer Review was a pain to wait through. One can submit their assignment in 10 minutes but must wait a month for it to be graded by another. I've noted too (because I did it myself) When someone finally does check the assignment they are not obligated to give marks based on criteria. I could just give full marks without checking with no consequence. When I did pay attention to what I was listening to, I heard many mistakes in pronunciation and grammar but could still give full marks because that wasn't the criteria for the assignment. Whats worse is that I'm not aware of other mistakes a native speaker could pick up, and yet...I could still give ...full marks. That needs to be corrected or removed entirely.

Sadly this review is filled with criticism, but only because I believe it has the potential to be better.

By Stephen P

Dec 13, 2018

It's a little frustrating that I need a VPN (because I live in China) for this MOOC. However this course is nicely balanced and timed. I feel i am picking things up. You can download so you can get home/offline practice and the pace is nice and steady (not too fast).

By Jamie B

Aug 04, 2017

I've used several resources to try to learn Chinese on my own. This course is incredibly well structured, the audio-video content is clear, and I appreciate the ability to get feedback. I look forward to the other courses in this series.

By Ivette L I R

Dec 20, 2018

This course was a wonderful experience for star learn Chinese. I like the method.

By Patrick T

Dec 31, 2018

Great course!

By Brock

Jan 02, 2019

Excellent course and very helpful

By Noel C

Jan 15, 2019

Great introduction to the language

By Fatin A B M

Mar 20, 2019

Good thing to learn and really easy to understand.

By Akor A

Mar 01, 2019

A lot of examples and real life scenarios

By Michél- S E

Jul 12, 2018

Really loved what I learn looking forward to learning more

By Guillermo S E

Sep 10, 2018

Very complete course! Easy to follow and understand!

By Angeles

Sep 23, 2018

The best course, it was easy, fun and accesible. Now I want to continue learning Chinese. Thanks!!

By Mehboob A

Sep 23, 2018

Extra Ordinary.

By TAREK E M

Sep 26, 2018

Nice tutorial lessons easy and very pleasant and very good thank you

By Dennis B

Aug 25, 2018

Very well done course

By Mayane C L

Nov 13, 2018

Curso muito bom e didático. Você começa desesperançoso e quando vê já tá dando Nihao pra todo mundo, rs.

By Asbin S

Nov 19, 2018

great lessons for beginner speakers

By Orrathip G

Sep 07, 2018

I learn more from this course. I love Chinese.

By Stephen F

Nov 05, 2016

Loved the content - delivered well!

By Fernanda F L

Mar 29, 2018

Great and engaging course!

By Akbar P

Aug 24, 2017

Great course!

By Jyotika M

Jul 03, 2017

nicely and interactively explained the concepts. such an impressive course.

By César A A

Jun 05, 2017

This course is very effectively designed to instruct beginners on the basic vocabulary, grammar and oral comprehension of Chinese language in context. I highly enjoyed it.

By Wenwan L

Feb 03, 2017

The course is very helpful and interesting, especially the lessons are short and interesting and quiz makes it further easy. Thanks for such a nice course.

By Sandra G

Mar 31, 2018

Ni hao! Like the dynamics of the course! I`m learning a Lot! Thank you so much Ann!