Back to English for Media Literacy

Learner Reviews & Feedback for English for Media Literacy by University of Pennsylvania

Welcome to English for Media Literacy, a course created by the University of Pennsylvania, and funded by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Office of English Language Programs. To enroll in this course for free, click on “Enroll now” and then select "Full Course. No certificate." This course is designed for non-native English speakers who are interested in learning more about U.S. media literacy. In this course, you will explore different types of mass media, such as newspapers, magazines, television, and social media. This course will also give you the opportunity to develop a broader understanding of the role media plays in our lives, while building your vocabulary and giving you the language skills needed to analyze what you read and watch. The first unit in this course will provide an introduction to media literacy and give you an opportunity to evaluate your own media literacy level. In unit 2, you will learn how to identify facts versus opinions in the media. The next unit in the course will focus on the differences between social media and traditional media, while unit 4 will look at how gender and identity are covered in the media. In the final unit of the course, you will demonstrate your increased media literacy by through a culminating final project on social media. Development of this course was funded by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs Office of English Language Programs. Unless otherwise noted, all course materials are available for re-use, repurposing and free distribution under a Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution license....

DT
Jan 26, 2019

I learned a lot from this online course especially the skills in media literacy. Thank you very much University of Pennsylvania. God bless to all staff and the people behind this program. More power!

LB
Feb 8, 2019

This course helps people to b knowledgeable in a very accessible way. Through Coursra you can study even in different places. Also you will get a Certificate that will be valubale to every learner.

26 - 50 of 417 Reviews for English for Media Literacy

By Juliet M M

Dec 3, 2019

Coursera has really benefited my knowledge. I am well equipped and this course has broaden and expanded my Horizon. with all that i have learned, I am certain that I will pursue other courses. I love the structure and method of lecturing.

By Julia M

Dec 22, 2020

I started thinking deeply in the different types of media. Also, my English grammar is better now. There were so fascinating lectures (videos), quizzes and reading. Teachers were funny too. It's so informative!

By Zlatica S H

May 18, 2021

The course gives a good general overview of media literacy. But some of the videos are too long and hard to digest in one session. My biggest problem though was having to go back and forth to find out if I missed some part of the course as I moved along. It should be clear without multiple checking. And most annoying: at the end of the course, after submitting all the assignments well before the deadline, I find a message that some of my assignments are overdue. Which assignments??? it is not clear.

If it is about peer assessments - I could not find any to grade. The message in the box said there were no assignments available to review. So how is that my fault? Besides, peer assessments are the worst part of any course -period - and should be dispensed with. I don't care what my equally informed or uninformed peers think about my work. I want a course supervisor or another expert to review my work and give advice.

By Nedyu Y

Jun 1, 2019

A bit simplistic without a clear scope and target audience.

By Michelle L H

Dec 2, 2019

I am so dissapointed. Two times I submitted the video assignations that they requested, and two times they were not reviewed by instructors (the first time it was reviewed only by peers). On top of it, today, I open coursera to try to finish the course, and a sign appears saying "this course has ended".

It was not my fault that I missed the second deadline (since my last assignment was ready aproximately a week ago) and it was not my fault that I missed the first deadline either (they didn't let me advance until my peers reviewed my video). I was left with nothing to do for several days, each time I submitted a video assignment.

The worst part is that I enrolled paying for it, because I am interested in getting the certificate. I'm left without the certificate, and without the money that I payed.

By Carlianne S M C

Feb 10, 2019

My week 3 and 4 was finished and all the tasks have a check mark but the overview of the course shows that im not yet done it confuses me

By Albina P

May 5, 2018

English for Media Literacy is very interesting and useful course. It gives better understanding of what is media. Also course help to determine bias in the media source, some ways how to avoid misunderstanding and besides it give the practical skills to analyze all information that we receive from the media. English for Media Literacy help to evolve critical thinking, teaches how to filter information you need from fake and distorted.

By Kaliakbarova Y

Mar 11, 2020

Helloi!Starting the English for Media literature course, I doubted how I could learn the language online, but now my attitude to It has clearly changed. The excellent course, the methodology of writing tasks , a selection of texts ,videos, teachers with whom I studied this course became very nice to me .thanks to this, I learned how to edit videos, analyze articles and messages.

With respect Kaliakbarova Elmira

By Jo A M G

Feb 10, 2019

I am really grateful being able to have the opportunity to be in this course. I have learned a lot. I can now say that I am fully media literate now because of all the learning I have acquired in this course. I have gained a lot of knowledge through Coursera. Thank you to the University of Pennsylvania for giving us the opportunity to finish this course. Thank you so much and may you always be blessed!

By Hung S C

Dec 2, 2018

I'm so glad to have the chance to get involved in this course from the University of Pennsylvania. Through the online lessons, I've learned a lot and been more aware of all the media in our lives. The learning materials are various enough for me to acquire different skills and knowledge. After all, I believe Media Literacy is an important issue for modern citizens around the world. Thanks again!

By Lena B

Mar 24, 2017

Очень интересный и безусловно полезный курс! Грамотно и последовательно подобранный материал и заинтересованные в его изложении преподаватели. Несложные тестовые и практические задания. Приобретенные знания и навыки пригодятся как для профессиональной деятельности, так и для использования в повседневной жизни. Спасибо создателям курса за возможность пройти его на бесплатной основе.

By Benedict M P A

Nov 17, 2017

I am taking this opportunity to thank my professors in the name of Lauren Fiori and Ian Nichols for such a good course I have completed. The course materials can be used in my classroom instructions and my superiors will be highly impressed of the materials I took from the course. With this, I am endlessly extending my gratitude for this opportunity of graduating this course.

Jun 7, 2020

This is my first course on Coursera and I felt like "If it's ok, I'll contine learning and try another one, if not- sorry". English for Media literacy opened my eyes on the way I percieve news and the way it makes my opinion and forms my behaviour. It was completely the right length, difficulty, with appropriate language and vocablary. I like the presenters, too)))

By José A R N

Jul 29, 2017

My name is Jose Antonio from Brazil. I am looking for a new Data Scientist career (https://www.linkedin.com/in/joseantonio11)

I did this course to complete my CV in English to the area of Data Science.

The course was excellent and the classes well taught by teachers.

Congratulations to Coursera team and Instructors.

Regards.

Jose Antonio.

By Edelyn P

Feb 9, 2019

Coursera really helps me a lot in terms of grammar, being a media literate and so many more. I am thankful for all the people behind this course. Also I am grateful to be part of this online course. I always wish you all the best and more power. I am looking forward for all that you can help in learning. God bless you all. SALAMAT PO!!

By Andréa M F M

May 16, 2020

English for Media Literacy course was really fantastic. It improved my journalistic skills and opened my mind in relation to many media issues, such as bias, diversity, and the power of social media. Besides, it presented some interesting grammar topics I hadn't studied before, like reductions, abbreviations, and strong adjectives.

By Leandro A C

Jan 21, 2018

This course helped me a lot to understand what Media Literacy is really about. The instructors know their stuff and they also know how to present the content of the course in a way that is very easy to understand what they mean. I am glad I was able to do this course because now I can say that I am a media literate person.

By Recci B

Feb 10, 2019

I've learned a lot. The videos are simple yet profound. The exercise also helped me a lot in understanding the lesson more deeply. The examples and articles used are very complex yet easily understood. This course has changed the way I view the world, particularly in viewing or reading media information's.

By Anderson Q V

May 8, 2020

Un muy buen curso para aprender ingles a partir de un tema especifico (en este caso social media). Esta forma de aprendizaje permite no solo practicar y aprender ingles, sino, también, aprender sobre sobre los modelos de social media, los principales sesgos sociales y como identificarlos. Muy recomendado.

By Assel S

Mar 7, 2020

The structure of all the lessons is very good and easy to understand. There are so many lively learning activities to both develop yourself and entertain! Everything is very useful and practical to improve your professional skills and achieve personal goals. You will lose much if you don`t take it!

By Нуриева А И

Feb 28, 2020

Course will be useful for everyone. We are surrounded by different types of Media. This course will help you improve your critical thinking skills and analyze the information while consuming it. It will help you to make right decision about your life and see more, than someone decided to show you.

By Lasantha K

Jul 19, 2020

This English for media literacy course gives me how control the language in the media .

It is very use to complete my assignments and course as well. this course help me to develop my American English(reduction, transitions). I hope to do another step in this course. thank you all.

By Blademer M

Sep 17, 2020

I already had my certificate but can I ask for another one on which the time frame of the entire course from beginning to ending is indicated because it is an important information needed by our institution for promotion purpose. Looking forward to your response about this matter.

By Safayet B N

This course and it's respectable instructors are unique because of their way of teaching and it's infrastructure . People of any age can easily develop their skill about media literacy after finishing this course. Glad to be a part of this course as well as coursera .

By Aizhan S

Jun 22, 2021

I truly appreciate the Media Literacy Course and recommend it to everyone, as it gives important skills in using Media. Additionally I would like to thank the organizatons and teachers who provided interesting and involving, entertaining tasks inspiring everyone!!