Back to English for Media Literacy

Learner Reviews & Feedback for English for Media Literacy by University of Pennsylvania

Welcome to English for Media Literacy, a course created by the University of Pennsylvania, and funded by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Office of English Language Programs. To enroll in this course for free, click on “Enroll now” and then select "Full Course. No certificate." This course is designed for non-native English speakers who are interested in learning more about U.S. media literacy. In this course, you will explore different types of mass media, such as newspapers, magazines, television, and social media. This course will also give you the opportunity to develop a broader understanding of the role media plays in our lives, while building your vocabulary and giving you the language skills needed to analyze what you read and watch. The first unit in this course will provide an introduction to media literacy and give you an opportunity to evaluate your own media literacy level. In unit 2, you will learn how to identify facts versus opinions in the media. The next unit in the course will focus on the differences between social media and traditional media, while unit 4 will look at how gender and identity are covered in the media. In the final unit of the course, you will demonstrate your increased media literacy by through a culminating final project on social media. Development of this course was funded by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs Office of English Language Programs. Unless otherwise noted, all course materials are available for re-use, repurposing and free distribution under a Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution license....

DT
Jan 26, 2019

I learned a lot from this online course especially the skills in media literacy. Thank you very much University of Pennsylvania. God bless to all staff and the people behind this program. More power!

LB
Feb 8, 2019

This course helps people to b knowledgeable in a very accessible way. Through Coursra you can study even in different places. Also you will get a Certificate that will be valubale to every learner.

51 - 75 of 417 Reviews for English for Media Literacy

By DODDIE M L D

Apr 25, 2020

I love the simple and clear discussion of the topics. Also, I enjoyed doing the activities and assignments. Learning has been fun indeed in another area I knew nothing about before I enrolled. Thank you for the learning! I wish to be back soon for more courses!

By MA. C N M

Mar 6, 2019

This course is very timely and I am happy I enrolled on this course because I have learned so much. The approach is very basic, clear and distinct, the videos are downloadable and can be used in classroom discussions too. It includes educational games as well.

By Karina I

Mar 23, 2020

This course is very useful. I learned a lot about media literacy and thing which are included. The process is really intersting and comfortable. I tried to write and record different assignments. It affected positively on my language and media skills.

By Taissiya M

Feb 12, 2020

This course was of a great pleasure and great opportunity to me. I have not only learned about media literacy but also notices some good methods of how to teach this ssubjects to others. I am going to recommend this course to my friends and students.

By Loubna H

Aug 15, 2020

From this course, I learned some things that I was ignorant of about the world of media. Grammar

lessons also helped me improve pronunciation and writing, in addition to new English words

This course is complete in all respects and deserves 5 stars.

By Gulizor A

Jul 28, 2021

I want to express my gratitude to the organizers of the program. It was really helpful. I saw the media from the different perspective I really started analyzing every pieces of information before accepting it, Thanks again and all the best.

By Hagie B

May 22, 2020

In my opinion, we have been using media with lots of bias without noticing it but now I can use social media by making sure I avoid all sort of bias especially to people from different background n culture, tribe, language or even color.

By Shahab Y

May 6, 2020

It was the first course that I went through until completion on Coursera. It was a well-made course with very little in the way of the main content promised by the course. Straight to the point and delivered perfectly by the instructors.

By Nguyen T T T

Jun 2, 2017

The course is well-organized and systematically presented, so it's quite easy to followed. However, some of the linguistic points and exercises seem to be too basic compared to content of Media Education that learners need to go through.

By Maria L D

Jan 28, 2018

Glad I was able to take this course. It made me think first of all the media that I am encountering everyday life. Hope people will also have that kind of knowledge that I had after taking this course. And this will start with myself.

By Tolybayeva K

Mar 14, 2020

I knew much more about media literacy, for example, that information that we read on a different kind of resources have true or false information. Although by replacing it, it can be bias by placement, bias by omission, bias by spin.

By Marcio A M d S

Mar 20, 2020

I want to take this opportunity to thank every one who made this course available online. Thanks for the University of Pennsylvania team's and all the colleagues that shared their point of views and helped me evaluating my tasks.

By Bastannyk O

Apr 29, 2018

I enjoyed the course and I want to thank all the people who contributed to it. The knowledge, the texts and test that were in this course helped me understand media way better. It really helps to learn how to think critically.

By Mina G

Apr 24, 2020

This is a great introduction to issues in media literacy as well as other important skills related to critical reading and grammar. The articles and assignments were interesting and I really enjoyed the peer review format.

By Dina

May 15, 2018

I really learned a lot from this course. I definitely love to enroll more courses in coursera. Thank you for sharing your knowledge to us for free. Special thanks to University of Pennsylvania. You are a blessing to us.

By Yongli W

Jan 9, 2019

Nowadays we live in society with information flooded, the course of "English for Media Literacy" give a way to analyze the information and help people to build their critical thinking. It's great for students!

By Dat N

Feb 20, 2018

This is a very good course for English learners. The videos and texts are very informative and understandable, the quizzes are fun and over all you can learn new skills which you can apply in your daily life.

By alexander

May 7, 2017

For me, this course have been a great experience and I've learned new skills to view social media with a new look. I appreciate all people who made possible this course come success for us. Thanks so much!!!

By Alla M

May 24, 2018

The teachers are extremely cool! Thank you so much for such an interesting course. Now it's awesome to be aware of all loopholes in social media and to be able to understand all the media information.

By Alyona S

Mar 20, 2020

The most informative and easy-to-follow course! There are a lot of interesting and useful topics not only about media literacy itself but also some grammar issues. I loved it, thank you veru much!

By Penpitcha P D

Feb 4, 2021

The course is useful and the English skill to learn in the class is very good and clear. Person who is ESL can easily learn and gain knowledge in the course materials really well.

By Ronn A J A

Feb 16, 2019

It helps the student understand and widen his/her knowledge about the media. It is also useful as a student will be able to analyze an information better and know its credibility.

By Ariel A B Z

Mar 9, 2021

Excelente, me ayudó mucho para practicar mi inglés y el contenido del curso me proporcionó herramientas para volverme más critico respecto a los medios masivos de comunicación...

By sophia d c

Feb 25, 2019

It was a really effective way of learning. By this course, I was able to advance my knowledge about media literacy and as a student be able to adapt this learning in daily basis.

By Nina I C

Feb 24, 2019

What great information to know, so valuable! I really found this fulfilling, thank you. Will integrate this learning with my Integrated Marketing Communications course teaching.