Back to Medical Applications of Particle Accelerators (NPAP MOOC)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Medical Applications of Particle Accelerators (NPAP MOOC) by Lund University

Hello and welcome to this course! The NPAP - Medical Applications of Accelerators is one out of three courses in the Nordic Particle Accelerator Program (NPAP). Here you will be taken on a tour focusing on the medical applications of particle accelerators. You will see that there are two very important, but different, applications of accelerators in hospitals. The first application concerns radiotherapy of tumours and the other concerns the production of medical nuclides for diagnosis and treatment. Both will be included in this course and described through four modules. The first module offers the basic principles of radiotherapy from a medical and physics point of view. You there learn about the main components of the machines used for radiotherapy and get to know why radiotherapy is important for cancer treatments. The second module guides you through the different types of linear accelerators used in the machines for radiotherapy. It also describes the design of the treatment head. The design is important because it is the settings of the treatment head that determines the dose and the radiated region. It is also in the treatment head where the dose given to the patient is measured. In the third module you are introduced to proton therapy. In this type of therapy protons are first accelerated and then guided down to the tumour by magnets. The machines are considerably larger and more expensive than machines used for radio therapy. The module also offers a description and comparison between different types of accelerators, and explains how the protons interact with tissue. Also ions that are heavier than protons can be used in cancer therapy. This is described in the fourth module, where we also introduce you to the production of medical nuclides. You learn how the nuclides are produces in proton and ion accelerators and how the nuclides come into play at different places in hospitals. Medical nuclides are for instance used in Positron Electron Tomography, PET. Enjoy!...

CB

The course content is good, nicely explained by video tutorials and notes. Good for beginner and learned about medical physics and its clinical application.

BT

Mar 03, 2020

Amazing experience for my first course.Would definitely purchase certificate soon.Thanks Coursera.

1 - 16 of 16 Reviews for Medical Applications of Particle Accelerators (NPAP MOOC)

By RAEES C

May 16, 2020

I got very well knowledge about particles accelerators ,thank you coursera

By Geraldyne U D

This course helped me a lot as I am goingo to study a master in medical physcis. Now I have gain habilities that I can put into practise in the master. Thank you to the professor and to coursera for sharing the knowledge

By yasin a

I strongly recommend the course for many different professionals , students who work in Medical Physics field or have intention to work in this field. Also for the fellow colleagues who need replenish their knowledge.

By Sridharbabu Y

May 05, 2020

Very detailed course on Medical Applications of Particle Accelerators. I am highly grateful to Prof. Lars Hjorth for his continued support. I have thoroughly understood the concepts pertained to particle accelerators.

By Wendy K R

Apr 21, 2020

Thank you for this introductory overview. It has been a great tool to revise my existing knowledge ( diagnostic imaging) and to learn something about the hardware, physics and radiopharmacy of radiation oncology.

By CHANDI P B

By Esther J G

Apr 26, 2020

Very useful to learn some more about how radiotherapy works and a good reminder of radionuclides and their use in medicine

By Pablo Z B

Apr 11, 2020

thanks very much for sharing your knowledge. It has been a great course, I am very pleasant to have done it

By Bernard K T

Mar 03, 2020

By Paolo B

Sep 20, 2019

Very nice course. It give me a clean overview of such interesting and challenging topic. Paolo

By Md. M R

Feb 27, 2020

Is it possible to send me the certificate. I already completed this course.

Thanks

Motiur

By Mirta D

Mar 15, 2020

Thank you for the course! I appreciate that it is thorough in physics and medicine.

By Fernanda G B

May 29, 2019

Adorei, ótimo curso, os vídeos são bem fáceis e didáticos.

By Ricardo D G U

I

w

f

l

and keep interest about it

By Rosa P

May 01, 2020

I like it because it is precise and not very extensive.

By Francois S

May 15, 2020

It is my 3rd course with Coursera. I really enjoyed the first 2, but this one I must say I am disappointed. The oral expression of the speaker is not very good in english, there are errors in subtitles and sometimes inaccuracies in the statement.