Back to Medical Neuroscience

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Medical Neuroscience by Duke University

Medical Neuroscience explores the functional organization and neurophysiology of the human central nervous system, while providing a neurobiological framework for understanding human behavior. In this course, you will discover the organization of the neural systems in the brain and spinal cord that mediate sensation, motivate bodily action, and integrate sensorimotor signals with memory, emotion and related faculties of cognition. The overall goal of this course is to provide the foundation for understanding the impairments of sensation, action and cognition that accompany injury, disease or dysfunction in the central nervous system. The course will build upon knowledge acquired through prior studies of cell and molecular biology, general physiology and human anatomy, as we focus primarily on the central nervous system. This online course is designed to include all of the core concepts in neurophysiology and clinical neuroanatomy that would be presented in most first-year neuroscience courses in schools of medicine. However, there are some topics (e.g., biological psychiatry) and several learning experiences (e.g., hands-on brain dissection) that we provide in the corresponding course offered in the Duke University School of Medicine on campus that we are not attempting to reproduce in Medical Neuroscience online. Nevertheless, our aim is to faithfully present in scope and rigor a medical school caliber course experience. This course comprises six units of content organized into 12 weeks, with an additional week for a comprehensive final exam: - Unit 1 Neuroanatomy (weeks 1-2). This unit covers the surface anatomy of the human brain, its internal structure, and the overall organization of sensory and motor systems in the brainstem and spinal cord. - Unit 2 Neural signaling (weeks 3-4). This unit addresses the fundamental mechanisms of neuronal excitability, signal generation and propagation, synaptic transmission, post synaptic mechanisms of signal integration, and neural plasticity. - Unit 3 Sensory systems (weeks 5-7). Here, you will learn the overall organization and function of the sensory systems that contribute to our sense of self relative to the world around us: somatic sensory systems, proprioception, vision, audition, and balance senses. - Unit 4 Motor systems (weeks 8-9). In this unit, we will examine the organization and function of the brain and spinal mechanisms that govern bodily movement. - Unit 5 Brain Development (week 10). Next, we turn our attention to the neurobiological mechanisms for building the nervous system in embryonic development and in early postnatal life; we will also consider how the brain changes across the lifespan. - Unit 6 Cognition (weeks 11-12). The course concludes with a survey of the association systems of the cerebral hemispheres, with an emphasis on cortical networks that integrate perception, memory and emotion in organizing behavior and planning for the future; we will also consider brain systems for maintaining homeostasis and regulating brain state....

KT

Nov 22, 2018

I leant so much without even realising it until I got to the final exams and all this knowledge was making sense. Amazing lecturer with so much wisdom in the area. The course is very well delivered.

KR

Dec 22, 2016

I have not really taken any Neuroscience courses and I have to say this was very challenging with my already full-time load at school but I did it! Yay! I love Dr. White he is an awesome professor!

276 - 300 of 484 Reviews for Medical Neuroscience

By Krishnavenamma K

Apr 13, 2018

wonderful teaching and loads of content and material which can be easily understand

By Tereza R

Jun 09, 2016

A fantastic course with spectacular resources. Thank you so much for creating this!

By Lina T L

Mar 12, 2019

Such an interesting course and with an exceptional professor - highly recommended!

By Nicole H

Feb 02, 2017

Really helpful and the lectures were extremely useful for me as a graduate student

By Chonlapin V

Mar 02, 2020

I highly recommend this course for those who want to get into the area of Brain.

By Alem C C

Nov 06, 2018

Una base impotante de muy buen nivel...recomendable para estudiantes de medicina

By Elgin B G P

Nov 28, 2016

The very best course I have ever come across! Congratulations to its idealizers.

By Ricardo J A G

Sep 06, 2016

I love science and this kind of courses make me love it so much more, Thank you!

By FAHAD A S A

Sep 12, 2017

I did not expect such a complete course. Thank you a lot. I benefited a lot ...

By Liat H

Jul 03, 2020

great course! challenging material that is presented in a very digestible way!

By John L

Oct 11, 2019

Interesting and insightful course that builds tangible and practical knowledge

By Adrielle S

Jun 30, 2017

Muito bom. Completo. Ilustrações muito bacanas, inglês claro e ótima didática.

By Cody R

Sep 12, 2016

World class teaching. Making medical students' lives better since...2015-ish?

By Ahmed E

Nov 30, 2016

Very excellent and informative course. Definitely recommending it to everyone

By Haris G

Jul 11, 2020

I am very glad that I took this course and Dr. White was an awesome teacher.

By Florea A

Sep 21, 2018

This course teach us how to do the hardest surgery: to change our lifestyle.

By Abraham N

Feb 03, 2017

I am excited to join this course... very intriguing professor and material.

By Fabian M

Oct 24, 2016

Outstanding course! Quite a lot of content, but Dr White keeps one engaged.

By Daniel T

Jul 28, 2018

Amazing course. Essential for your professional practice. Congratulations!

By Ivo T

Jun 18, 2016

This is the first course which I really liked and I will go until the end.

By Mundih N N

Dec 29, 2019

Excellent course. Very Informative and easy to understand and assimilate.

By MAYSSA

Oct 15, 2019

i have juste started the course and i find it very interesting and useful

By Jorge E G D L

Nov 03, 2017

Simply the best Neuroscience course I've ever taken. Totally recommended!

By Demetrio F

Feb 14, 2017

It took ages for me to learn from books. This is definitely the best way!

By Hassan M E

May 12, 2020

the most amazing neuro course i have ever seen

thanks for greet knowledge