Back to Medical Neuroscience

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Medical Neuroscience by Duke University

Medical Neuroscience explores the functional organization and neurophysiology of the human central nervous system, while providing a neurobiological framework for understanding human behavior. In this course, you will discover the organization of the neural systems in the brain and spinal cord that mediate sensation, motivate bodily action, and integrate sensorimotor signals with memory, emotion and related faculties of cognition. The overall goal of this course is to provide the foundation for understanding the impairments of sensation, action and cognition that accompany injury, disease or dysfunction in the central nervous system. The course will build upon knowledge acquired through prior studies of cell and molecular biology, general physiology and human anatomy, as we focus primarily on the central nervous system. This online course is designed to include all of the core concepts in neurophysiology and clinical neuroanatomy that would be presented in most first-year neuroscience courses in schools of medicine. However, there are some topics (e.g., biological psychiatry) and several learning experiences (e.g., hands-on brain dissection) that we provide in the corresponding course offered in the Duke University School of Medicine on campus that we are not attempting to reproduce in Medical Neuroscience online. Nevertheless, our aim is to faithfully present in scope and rigor a medical school caliber course experience. This course comprises six units of content organized into 12 weeks, with an additional week for a comprehensive final exam: - Unit 1 Neuroanatomy (weeks 1-2). This unit covers the surface anatomy of the human brain, its internal structure, and the overall organization of sensory and motor systems in the brainstem and spinal cord. - Unit 2 Neural signaling (weeks 3-4). This unit addresses the fundamental mechanisms of neuronal excitability, signal generation and propagation, synaptic transmission, post synaptic mechanisms of signal integration, and neural plasticity. - Unit 3 Sensory systems (weeks 5-7). Here, you will learn the overall organization and function of the sensory systems that contribute to our sense of self relative to the world around us: somatic sensory systems, proprioception, vision, audition, and balance senses. - Unit 4 Motor systems (weeks 8-9). In this unit, we will examine the organization and function of the brain and spinal mechanisms that govern bodily movement. - Unit 5 Brain Development (week 10). Next, we turn our attention to the neurobiological mechanisms for building the nervous system in embryonic development and in early postnatal life; we will also consider how the brain changes across the lifespan. - Unit 6 Cognition (weeks 11-12). The course concludes with a survey of the association systems of the cerebral hemispheres, with an emphasis on cortical networks that integrate perception, memory and emotion in organizing behavior and planning for the future; we will also consider brain systems for maintaining homeostasis and regulating brain state....

KT

Nov 22, 2018

I leant so much without even realising it until I got to the final exams and all this knowledge was making sense. Amazing lecturer with so much wisdom in the area. The course is very well delivered.

KR

Dec 22, 2016

I have not really taken any Neuroscience courses and I have to say this was very challenging with my already full-time load at school but I did it! Yay! I love Dr. White he is an awesome professor!

51 - 75 of 380 Reviews for Medical Neuroscience

By Fadhel B A

Jul 10, 2017

An amazing journey through the world of medical neuroscience. A captivating lecturer and a well structured course which can only lead to one outcome: increase in knowledge and sense of curiosity to learn more about the fascinating life of our neurostructures.

Thank you Dr. White and many thanks to the whole team for making this very complex matter accessible to everyone. I hope others will considered the completion of the course as the beginning of a pleasant "pathway" through more discoveries of the most complex organ of the human body.

By Dzintra K

Dec 26, 2019

I took this course to challenge my brain after chemotherapy and during radiotherapy. Not sure if that helped my learning as the retention of the information was affected! But it did help to clarify some aspects, especially as I had some understanding of basic neurology from my previous extensive studies in physical activity and consciousness.

The course is very well laid out and masterfully delivered, and packed with information.

The level said "advanced", and I found that accurate.

Thank you very much for this amazing experience!

By Andy W

Jan 06, 2017

As a current medical student, Medical Neuroscience here on Coursera really equipped me to perform well in my studies in our school's neuro course. I really appreciated the concise yet thorough lectures from Dr. White throughout the course. I HIGHLY recommend this course to anyone interested in the brain and especially those students enrolled in a neuro course in their current studies. This course supplemented my regular class lectures and assignments very well and helped me to master the content much more efficiently and smoothly!

By Jyotirmay S

Aug 08, 2017

A fantastic course that is very detailed and also very organised. The tutor, Professor White, is excellent at his job and does the task of explaining and tutoring very good. The study material support for the course is superb as well as the learning community and the discussion forums of great help.

The course has proven to be a very unique and useful opportunity for me and I will definitely suggest it to anyone interested in venturing into neuroscience either as a career or even just for knowledge basis.

By Susan M T R

Jan 30, 2018

Muchas gracias por compartir su sabiduría conmigo mediante esta plataforma, debido a que no cuento los recursos económicos suficientes; sin embargo, quiero aprender porque me fascina el mundo del cerebro y la psicología. Este curso para mi es un reto, en primer lugar por el idioma (soy peruana) y en segundo lugar porque la calidad de profesores y materiales trasciende mis expectativas. Muchas gracias profesor White y a todo el equipo, son muy simpáticos, divertidos y sabios.

By Tiffany J T

Dec 31, 2016

This is a really fascinating course, 'cuz it is organized in a way that students could truly get a lot out of it, though indeed great effort input is required compared to other courses.

I started studying 'medical neuroscience' in order to preview for a biological psychology course which is to be taken next semester, and I haven't finished it yet, but I really can't wait to recommend this to everyone who is interested in the field of health and medicine.

Prof. White is the best!

By Marco A H C

Oct 16, 2017

Un curso excelente, especialmente para los que vivimos en lugares donde no tenemos acceso a especímenes de laboratorio, o en donde es difícil o caro accesar a libros o artículos de divulgación. Muchas felicidades y muchas gracias!

An excellent course, especially for those of us who live in places where we do not have access to lab specimens, or where it is difficult or expensive to access books or scientific articles.

Congratulations and thank you very much!

By SHAIKH S T

Feb 21, 2017

A thoroughly organized course! given the time limit medical neuroscience topics were nicely covered

Prof. leonard White is a very dedicated teacher and one can see his enthusiasm in neuroscience. I am glad to have an experience of teaching by Prof White through this course. A great teacher is the one who not only teaches but inspires. i am inspired and would continue to study in depth. Great teacher! Great human being! Thank you so much Sir!

By johan e

Jun 27, 2016

Esta 100% completo respecto a los conocimientos impartidos en la carrera de medicina para la materia de neurociencias y neuroanatomía. Definitivamente a contribuido en mucho más de lo aprendido en las clases a las que asistí en mi universidad sobre la misma materia.

Gracias Universidad Duke por colaborar con tan inmensa cantidad de conocimientos y espero en el futuro poder aprender mucho más con su ayuda.

By joni K

Jan 24, 2020

Amazing course ..... I almost packed it in week 3...... Thinking I could not complete it ... too hard. BUT I followed the professors advice and completed. This course taught me how to to learn and I am grateful. I recommend it to anyone who likes a challenge and seaks the neuroscience knowledge that this course provides. For me it was the toughest coursera course I have done. DO IT !!!!!!!!

By Robertus A K P

Jun 07, 2017

I am grateful for taking this course. For the purpose of continuing my study to molecular neuroscience from psychology, this Medical Neuroscience course has helped me understanding the basic principles as well as how to apply the knowledge practically. Although sometime it was difficult, I found the professor very interesting and encouraging. Thanks again for this learning opportunity.

By Al-Rashid J

Apr 08, 2018

Such a great, in-depth analysis of neuroscience as a whole. Extremely grateful that a professor, who's probably heavily occupied by daily life, went out of his way to assist in educating the world over regarding this fascinating topic. If you have time to spare and you've always wondered about how the brain works, this is a great starting point to begin one's journey into the brain.

By Nguemeni C

May 31, 2017

This course is the best course I ever took on coursera. Although I knew a lot about neuroscience before starting the course, the journey with Pr. White was amazing. The material and resources are very helpful and the mentors are doing a great job.

Overall this is a great course both for beginners and professional in neuroscience/medicine.

Thanks for puting up such a good module.

By Gerardo R G

Feb 06, 2020

Easily the hardest and most challenging class I have ever taken. It goes deep into the brains structure, functions, processes. Many terms, definitions. The instructor almost seems like a genius as he shares his passion for the subject through the tutorials. He makes a good attempt to be fun and to keep a rhythm With the learning. Bring your A game, this is not an easy journey.

By Rocío R

May 16, 2018

This course has changed my life, truly, I'm about to start a MS in neurology at my Uni (Oviedo, Spain) but I definitely think it's due to prof. Leonard White, he's smart, funny and brilliant in his job. Even though this is an online and distance learning course, he's such a cool professor. Thanks for loving your work and making others fall in love with neuroscience :)

By Thais P P S

Sep 10, 2017

The teacher is very good,he teaches very well.Show us the basic concepts,envolving to clinical charts.I have difficulty in classes with specimens.In general,the course is very embracing and we fineshed it knowing to identify many cerebral sctrutures, as well as their localization and funtion and all this provides a valuable knowledge about the wonderful human's brain.

By Daniel S

Aug 21, 2018

Well worth the time put in to complete. The course deals with some very complex phenomena in a well structured, bottom-up manor that is attainable to anyone wanting to enter into the world of neuroscience. Prof. White does a great job of navigating through the many aspects and layers of neuroscience. It is accomplishing to complete and I would highly recommend.

By Philip W M

Aug 15, 2019

This is an amazing and thorough course. I can only imagine how much work and time was spent by the Duke University staff, especially Dr. White, to make this amazing course possible. Thank you so much to each and every one of you that worked on making this a quality and interesting course available online at a reasonable price.

-Phil Morrison, Auxvasse, MO

By Meredith O

Aug 16, 2016

This course is thorough and well-designed for learning. It connects the basic science with real-life applications. There's an additional course website that was created by a former student, and it has numerous additional resources. Dr. White's knowledge, open-hearted sharing, and enthusiasm for the subject are what make this a 5-star class. He's outstanding!

By Gerardo M H

Jun 18, 2018

It's the best course about Neuroscience. The professor explain every single detailed of neuroanatomy, and he manage to relate the physiology and anatomy without trouble. At the beginin of each video, he get in you a summarize and that thing helps to argue for learning more. Unfortunately I don't have access to Sylvius, but it's easy to follow with tutorial.

By P I

Jul 28, 2019

Anyone interested in Neuroscience would greatly benefit from this course. Wonderful material and presentations. Further, the quizzes and exams stretch you and help you integrate it all together. The course isn't easy and requires a fair amount of time investment, but if you are really interested in learning more about Brain, it is a time well worth spent.

By Stella G

Jan 05, 2020

Excellent course! Dr White explains important concepts in neuroscience very well, especially great is the use of real brain specimens for anatomy teaching. Some prior knowledge is definitely required, otherwise the assignments would be very difficult. Ideal course for health professionals who want to deepen their understanding of neuroscience.

By Marcio S d C L

Jul 01, 2017

This course provided me a solid foudation for further study in Neuroscience. I'm a psychiatrist so I took greater interest in the final weeks of the course which discussed associational cortex. But having a thorough review of anatomy, histology, sensory and motor cortex gave me a broader understanding of brain function. Thank you very much!

By Yesenia S

Sep 22, 2019

This is the course I have been looking for! Dr. White makes neuroanatomy sound easy (and that is really hard to do). His jovial personality and vast knowledge makes this course extremely interesting and easy to digest. I will recommend for anyone interested in learning neuroscience at any level of academic development. Thank you Dr. White!