Back to Medical Neuroscience

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Medical Neuroscience by Duke University

Medical Neuroscience explores the functional organization and neurophysiology of the human central nervous system, while providing a neurobiological framework for understanding human behavior. In this course, you will discover the organization of the neural systems in the brain and spinal cord that mediate sensation, motivate bodily action, and integrate sensorimotor signals with memory, emotion and related faculties of cognition. The overall goal of this course is to provide the foundation for understanding the impairments of sensation, action and cognition that accompany injury, disease or dysfunction in the central nervous system. The course will build upon knowledge acquired through prior studies of cell and molecular biology, general physiology and human anatomy, as we focus primarily on the central nervous system. This online course is designed to include all of the core concepts in neurophysiology and clinical neuroanatomy that would be presented in most first-year neuroscience courses in schools of medicine. However, there are some topics (e.g., biological psychiatry) and several learning experiences (e.g., hands-on brain dissection) that we provide in the corresponding course offered in the Duke University School of Medicine on campus that we are not attempting to reproduce in Medical Neuroscience online. Nevertheless, our aim is to faithfully present in scope and rigor a medical school caliber course experience. This course comprises six units of content organized into 12 weeks, with an additional week for a comprehensive final exam: - Unit 1 Neuroanatomy (weeks 1-2). This unit covers the surface anatomy of the human brain, its internal structure, and the overall organization of sensory and motor systems in the brainstem and spinal cord. - Unit 2 Neural signaling (weeks 3-4). This unit addresses the fundamental mechanisms of neuronal excitability, signal generation and propagation, synaptic transmission, post synaptic mechanisms of signal integration, and neural plasticity. - Unit 3 Sensory systems (weeks 5-7). Here, you will learn the overall organization and function of the sensory systems that contribute to our sense of self relative to the world around us: somatic sensory systems, proprioception, vision, audition, and balance senses. - Unit 4 Motor systems (weeks 8-9). In this unit, we will examine the organization and function of the brain and spinal mechanisms that govern bodily movement. - Unit 5 Brain Development (week 10). Next, we turn our attention to the neurobiological mechanisms for building the nervous system in embryonic development and in early postnatal life; we will also consider how the brain changes across the lifespan. - Unit 6 Cognition (weeks 11-12). The course concludes with a survey of the association systems of the cerebral hemispheres, with an emphasis on cortical networks that integrate perception, memory and emotion in organizing behavior and planning for the future; we will also consider brain systems for maintaining homeostasis and regulating brain state....

MG
Jan 14, 2021

This course was a great opportunity for me to understand the world of neurology and helped me to clear all the ambiguities regarding the complex mechanisms that are happening in our beautiful brains.

KT
Nov 21, 2018

I leant so much without even realising it until I got to the final exams and all this knowledge was making sense. Amazing lecturer with so much wisdom in the area. The course is very well delivered.

76 - 100 of 602 Reviews for Medical Neuroscience

By Dr. V S

Mar 3, 2020

It's been an emotional and a great great learning experience through out the course. I must express my gratitude, my vote of thanks and many more... i think words are bit small to express this emotions. and now my amygdala is unable to process this. So with a deep sense of satisfaction i want to thank from bottom of my heart to Prof. Dr. White. Your teaching skills are fabulous.

Hopefully, in future you and your team from duke university will develop "Neuropathology and Neuropharmacology" courses.

Eagerly waiting for the same...

By Nataliya Z

Dec 19, 2020

Thank you for the most inspiring learning experience since theoretical physics, which I learned some 30 years ago. I enrolled into this course with near zero knowledge of medicine, anatomy and biology and was stunned at first by the complexity of the material. However, the great teacher and the organization of the course helped me to finish it and earn a certificate, though it was really a complicated challenge. I never thought I would spend many hours of research for exams and get so much joys of discoveries. Thank you all!

By Khoa M

Feb 26, 2021

It has been a very wonderful course. This definitely gave me a head start to my university's Neuroscience course! I'd really like to thank Dr. Leonard White and his wonderful team for the perfect delivery of this course!

If I'd suggest one thing, maybe the quizzes in this course could give us a bit more feedback after submission of the quizzes, instead of hiding all the options and just revealing "correct" or "wrong". In that way, I may know what I could improve on, etc.

Otherwise, it's been great. Once again, thanks!

By Jyotirmay S

Aug 8, 2017

A fantastic course that is very detailed and also very organised. The tutor, Professor White, is excellent at his job and does the task of explaining and tutoring very good. The study material support for the course is superb as well as the learning community and the discussion forums of great help.

The course has proven to be a very unique and useful opportunity for me and I will definitely suggest it to anyone interested in venturing into neuroscience either as a career or even just for knowledge basis.

By Harald F

Sep 16, 2020

This is indeed one of the best courses so far (and I have done quite a few). Clearly explained, thorough, lots of brain examples, models, focusses on the anatomy, (electro-)chemical operation and deals with many topic in depth. The topic of illnesses of the mind is in comparison somewhat less prominent, probably also due to size and length constraints of the course. I find this course very well worth the effort, and effort it will take indeed. Kudos to you Dr Leonard White for having made this !

By Ioannis C

Sep 19, 2020

The best on-line educational program i've ever attained. I would say tha was even better compared to other courses i have attained in classroom. Professor White is a true neurophilosopher, extremely articulated and very admirable for his knoweledge and his communicative abilities. I really enjoyed this journey (although quite difficult for my background) and i will certainly follow other similar programms by Duke University. Thank you so much for this invaluable journey in knowledge.

By Hagar T

Jun 1, 2020

Excellent course. Apt also for begginners, but only people who have time and are willing to put all of their efforts and motivation into it. Dr. Leonard White is very patient, explains things very well. I would do the course again in order to review everything, as I am sure it would prove useful. Very interesting and motivating discussion prompts. Only downside is that in the tests, once we have passed, I would allow to see the answers. This would further enhance learning, I believe.

By Susan M T R

Jan 29, 2018

Muchas gracias por compartir su sabiduría conmigo mediante esta plataforma, debido a que no cuento los recursos económicos suficientes; sin embargo, quiero aprender porque me fascina el mundo del cerebro y la psicología. Este curso para mi es un reto, en primer lugar por el idioma (soy peruana) y en segundo lugar porque la calidad de profesores y materiales trasciende mis expectativas. Muchas gracias profesor White y a todo el equipo, son muy simpáticos, divertidos y sabios.

By Tiffany J T

Dec 31, 2016

This is a really fascinating course, 'cuz it is organized in a way that students could truly get a lot out of it, though indeed great effort input is required compared to other courses.

I started studying 'medical neuroscience' in order to preview for a biological psychology course which is to be taken next semester, and I haven't finished it yet, but I really can't wait to recommend this to everyone who is interested in the field of health and medicine.

Prof. White is the best!

By Marco A H C

Oct 16, 2017

Un curso excelente, especialmente para los que vivimos en lugares donde no tenemos acceso a especímenes de laboratorio, o en donde es difícil o caro accesar a libros o artículos de divulgación. Muchas felicidades y muchas gracias!

An excellent course, especially for those of us who live in places where we do not have access to lab specimens, or where it is difficult or expensive to access books or scientific articles.

Congratulations and thank you very much!

By Rafael d O G I

Jun 20, 2020

O curso de neurociência médica é muito bem construído, com aulas didáticas, muitas ferramentas úteis para o aprendizado (como questões não-avaliativas que aparecem em certos momentos de vídeos), e que, ao todo, fornece um material bastante completo para interessados em neurociência. O curso foca principalmente na anatomia no sistema nervoso e em casos clínicos, não deixando de lado os fundamentos biológicos, farmacológicos e neuroquímicos envolvidos.

By Patricia J M V

May 1, 2020

The course and its contents are absolutely superb. I love professor White and am thankful to him for putting in such bug chunks of information on this course. Unfortunately for me, I found it quite challenging. However, funnily enough, seeing as I still have a lot to learn, that makes me want to learn neuroscience -all the whats, hows, and whys, even more. I shall try again next time! Thank you so much professor White! Very, very much appreciated!

By SHAIKH S T

Feb 21, 2017

A thoroughly organized course! given the time limit medical neuroscience topics were nicely covered

Prof. leonard White is a very dedicated teacher and one can see his enthusiasm in neuroscience. I am glad to have an experience of teaching by Prof White through this course. A great teacher is the one who not only teaches but inspires. i am inspired and would continue to study in depth. Great teacher! Great human being! Thank you so much Sir!

By Gözde S

Jun 27, 2020

With the unique guidance of Prof. White, I have not just brushed up my prior knowledge from medicine but also discovered fit to burst various inspiring aspects of studies in medical neurosciences. The clear curricula supported by tremendous learning material have provided me with quite an intensive, yet an achievable journey to live and learn. Now it is time to progress with the mentioned subsequent neuroscience project from the Duke team!

By Weerawong S

Jun 13, 2020

Thank you very much for one of the greatest neuroscience courses. I have learnt so much throughout 3-month duration. As a medical professional, neurosurgeon, the knowledge that you taught can fulfill the correlation between basic neuroscience and clinical application in my practice and academic teaching. I hope that all medical professionals who have to involve with medical neuroscience will have their opportunities to attend this course.

By Ashutosh B

Nov 29, 2020

An incredible course, and an incredible experience. Both Prof. White and Coursera have helped me immensely in gaining a foothold in the domain of neuroscience, a foothold I never dreamed of being able to achieve. Coming from a background of Biotechnology, this course allowed me to make some headway into my biggest passion in science; the science of the brain. Excellent explanations and demonstrations, and a very hearty recommend.

By Derica R

Feb 17, 2021

The lessons provided are easy to understand and provide amazing insight into the spectacular world of Neuroscience. The tests are set up in a way that challenge you to think not only anatomically but creatively too. I recommend this course to be taken by those who are truly passionate for the science of the human brain. The Professor has been a blessing to this course and his teachings are not something to be missed!

By Kie T

Jul 26, 2020

I think this course is very challenging especially for those who are not specialized in medical. However, the course is very fruitful for me to understand overview and details of significant knowledge on neuroscience. It might be better to buy the text book if you want in-depth understanding through all courses and success all exams because sometimes you can find advanced expertise in exams. Anyway, I DID IT!

By Dr. S S P

Mar 20, 2020

Wow. It feels amaging to finally complete this 13 weeks or so long course. It tested me in all my domains. It was tough. Mr. White made it possible for me to pass the course. Being a medical doctor, i knew a lot of things as I thought beginning the course, but when I started doing this, it felt like, I just knew the tip of iceberg. I would anyone interested in neuroscience to undertake this course. Thank you.

By Firdevs M

Jun 25, 2020

This course has been my favourite online course so far! During the last 13 weeks I was able to comprehend various topics in medical neuroscience with the extraordinary help of Prof. White, who appeared motivated to teach in every single video, which motivated me even more to continue to broaden my horizons, deepen my knowledge and find another interesting fact about the most complex organ in the human body.

By johan e

Jun 27, 2016

Esta 100% completo respecto a los conocimientos impartidos en la carrera de medicina para la materia de neurociencias y neuroanatomía. Definitivamente a contribuido en mucho más de lo aprendido en las clases a las que asistí en mi universidad sobre la misma materia.

Gracias Universidad Duke por colaborar con tan inmensa cantidad de conocimientos y espero en el futuro poder aprender mucho más con su ayuda.

By joni K

Jan 24, 2020

Amazing course ..... I almost packed it in week 3...... Thinking I could not complete it ... too hard. BUT I followed the professors advice and completed. This course taught me how to to learn and I am grateful. I recommend it to anyone who likes a challenge and seaks the neuroscience knowledge that this course provides. For me it was the toughest coursera course I have done. DO IT !!!!!!!!

By SRI J M

Feb 10, 2021

Excellent experience and I have learned a lot from this fascinating course. Heartful thanks to Prof.White. Your teaching enhanced my knowledge. I had understood all pieces of information with your wonderful presentations. After completion, I want to study at Duke University with your guidance, sir. Thanks a lot for everything., sir. Hats off to Coursera for providing this valuable course,