Back to Medical Neuroscience

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Medical Neuroscience by Duke University

Medical Neuroscience explores the functional organization and neurophysiology of the human central nervous system, while providing a neurobiological framework for understanding human behavior. In this course, you will discover the organization of the neural systems in the brain and spinal cord that mediate sensation, motivate bodily action, and integrate sensorimotor signals with memory, emotion and related faculties of cognition. The overall goal of this course is to provide the foundation for understanding the impairments of sensation, action and cognition that accompany injury, disease or dysfunction in the central nervous system. The course will build upon knowledge acquired through prior studies of cell and molecular biology, general physiology and human anatomy, as we focus primarily on the central nervous system. This online course is designed to include all of the core concepts in neurophysiology and clinical neuroanatomy that would be presented in most first-year neuroscience courses in schools of medicine. However, there are some topics (e.g., biological psychiatry) and several learning experiences (e.g., hands-on brain dissection) that we provide in the corresponding course offered in the Duke University School of Medicine on campus that we are not attempting to reproduce in Medical Neuroscience online. Nevertheless, our aim is to faithfully present in scope and rigor a medical school caliber course experience. This course comprises six units of content organized into 12 weeks, with an additional week for a comprehensive final exam: - Unit 1 Neuroanatomy (weeks 1-2). This unit covers the surface anatomy of the human brain, its internal structure, and the overall organization of sensory and motor systems in the brainstem and spinal cord. - Unit 2 Neural signaling (weeks 3-4). This unit addresses the fundamental mechanisms of neuronal excitability, signal generation and propagation, synaptic transmission, post synaptic mechanisms of signal integration, and neural plasticity. - Unit 3 Sensory systems (weeks 5-7). Here, you will learn the overall organization and function of the sensory systems that contribute to our sense of self relative to the world around us: somatic sensory systems, proprioception, vision, audition, and balance senses. - Unit 4 Motor systems (weeks 8-9). In this unit, we will examine the organization and function of the brain and spinal mechanisms that govern bodily movement. - Unit 5 Brain Development (week 10). Next, we turn our attention to the neurobiological mechanisms for building the nervous system in embryonic development and in early postnatal life; we will also consider how the brain changes across the lifespan. - Unit 6 Cognition (weeks 11-12). The course concludes with a survey of the association systems of the cerebral hemispheres, with an emphasis on cortical networks that integrate perception, memory and emotion in organizing behavior and planning for the future; we will also consider brain systems for maintaining homeostasis and regulating brain state....

KT

Nov 22, 2018

I leant so much without even realising it until I got to the final exams and all this knowledge was making sense. Amazing lecturer with so much wisdom in the area. The course is very well delivered.

KR

Dec 22, 2016

I have not really taken any Neuroscience courses and I have to say this was very challenging with my already full-time load at school but I did it! Yay! I love Dr. White he is an awesome professor!

76 - 100 of 543 Reviews for Medical Neuroscience

By Susan M T R

Jan 30, 2018

Muchas gracias por compartir su sabiduría conmigo mediante esta plataforma, debido a que no cuento los recursos económicos suficientes; sin embargo, quiero aprender porque me fascina el mundo del cerebro y la psicología. Este curso para mi es un reto, en primer lugar por el idioma (soy peruana) y en segundo lugar porque la calidad de profesores y materiales trasciende mis expectativas. Muchas gracias profesor White y a todo el equipo, son muy simpáticos, divertidos y sabios.

By Tiffany J T

Dec 31, 2016

This is a really fascinating course, 'cuz it is organized in a way that students could truly get a lot out of it, though indeed great effort input is required compared to other courses.

I started studying 'medical neuroscience' in order to preview for a biological psychology course which is to be taken next semester, and I haven't finished it yet, but I really can't wait to recommend this to everyone who is interested in the field of health and medicine.

Prof. White is the best!

By Marco A H C

Oct 16, 2017

Un curso excelente, especialmente para los que vivimos en lugares donde no tenemos acceso a especímenes de laboratorio, o en donde es difícil o caro accesar a libros o artículos de divulgación. Muchas felicidades y muchas gracias!

An excellent course, especially for those of us who live in places where we do not have access to lab specimens, or where it is difficult or expensive to access books or scientific articles.

Congratulations and thank you very much!

By Rafael d O G I

Jun 20, 2020

O curso de neurociência médica é muito bem construído, com aulas didáticas, muitas ferramentas úteis para o aprendizado (como questões não-avaliativas que aparecem em certos momentos de vídeos), e que, ao todo, fornece um material bastante completo para interessados em neurociência. O curso foca principalmente na anatomia no sistema nervoso e em casos clínicos, não deixando de lado os fundamentos biológicos, farmacológicos e neuroquímicos envolvidos.

By Patricia J M V

May 01, 2020

The course and its contents are absolutely superb. I love professor White and am thankful to him for putting in such bug chunks of information on this course. Unfortunately for me, I found it quite challenging. However, funnily enough, seeing as I still have a lot to learn, that makes me want to learn neuroscience -all the whats, hows, and whys, even more. I shall try again next time! Thank you so much professor White! Very, very much appreciated!

By SHAIKH S T

Feb 21, 2017

A thoroughly organized course! given the time limit medical neuroscience topics were nicely covered

Prof. leonard White is a very dedicated teacher and one can see his enthusiasm in neuroscience. I am glad to have an experience of teaching by Prof White through this course. A great teacher is the one who not only teaches but inspires. i am inspired and would continue to study in depth. Great teacher! Great human being! Thank you so much Sir!

By Gözde S

Jun 27, 2020

With the unique guidance of Prof. White, I have not just brushed up my prior knowledge from medicine but also discovered fit to burst various inspiring aspects of studies in medical neurosciences. The clear curricula supported by tremendous learning material have provided me with quite an intensive, yet an achievable journey to live and learn. Now it is time to progress with the mentioned subsequent neuroscience project from the Duke team!

By Weerawong S

Jun 13, 2020

Thank you very much for one of the greatest neuroscience courses. I have learnt so much throughout 3-month duration. As a medical professional, neurosurgeon, the knowledge that you taught can fulfill the correlation between basic neuroscience and clinical application in my practice and academic teaching. I hope that all medical professionals who have to involve with medical neuroscience will have their opportunities to attend this course.

By Kie T

Jul 26, 2020

I think this course is very challenging especially for those who are not specialized in medical. However, the course is very fruitful for me to understand overview and details of significant knowledge on neuroscience. It might be better to buy the text book if you want in-depth understanding through all courses and success all exams because sometimes you can find advanced expertise in exams. Anyway, I DID IT!

By Dr. S S P

Mar 20, 2020

Wow. It feels amaging to finally complete this 13 weeks or so long course. It tested me in all my domains. It was tough. Mr. White made it possible for me to pass the course. Being a medical doctor, i knew a lot of things as I thought beginning the course, but when I started doing this, it felt like, I just knew the tip of iceberg. I would anyone interested in neuroscience to undertake this course. Thank you.

By Firdevs E

Jun 25, 2020

This course has been my favourite online course so far! During the last 13 weeks I was able to comprehend various topics in medical neuroscience with the extraordinary help of Prof. White, who appeared motivated to teach in every single video, which motivated me even more to continue to broaden my horizons, deepen my knowledge and find another interesting fact about the most complex organ in the human body.

By johan e

Jun 27, 2016

Esta 100% completo respecto a los conocimientos impartidos en la carrera de medicina para la materia de neurociencias y neuroanatomía. Definitivamente a contribuido en mucho más de lo aprendido en las clases a las que asistí en mi universidad sobre la misma materia.

Gracias Universidad Duke por colaborar con tan inmensa cantidad de conocimientos y espero en el futuro poder aprender mucho más con su ayuda.

By joni K

Jan 24, 2020

Amazing course ..... I almost packed it in week 3...... Thinking I could not complete it ... too hard. BUT I followed the professors advice and completed. This course taught me how to to learn and I am grateful. I recommend it to anyone who likes a challenge and seaks the neuroscience knowledge that this course provides. For me it was the toughest coursera course I have done. DO IT !!!!!!!!

By Bame O D

Jul 17, 2020

For my whole life i have been looking for something that will arouse my passion, Having complete Medical Medical Neuroscience at one of the best Institution, Duke University arose that passion,i am looking forward to coming back there and work with Professor Leornard White, thanks for the way you were in explaining those concepts, Hebbs Postulate and Synaptic plasticity to mention a few

By Robertus A K P

Jun 07, 2017

I am grateful for taking this course. For the purpose of continuing my study to molecular neuroscience from psychology, this Medical Neuroscience course has helped me understanding the basic principles as well as how to apply the knowledge practically. Although sometime it was difficult, I found the professor very interesting and encouraging. Thanks again for this learning opportunity.

By Dadarkforce

Apr 08, 2018

Such a great, in-depth analysis of neuroscience as a whole. Extremely grateful that a professor, who's probably heavily occupied by daily life, went out of his way to assist in educating the world over regarding this fascinating topic. If you have time to spare and you've always wondered about how the brain works, this is a great starting point to begin one's journey into the brain.

By Calvin C

May 01, 2020

A very comprehensive approach to the beginnings of neuroscience. Out of all the neuro related courses I have taken, this one was the most clear. There's so much knowledge and material, that you get for free. I really enjoyed the approach of Dr. white and could see the passion exuding from him. I highly recommend anyone planning to enter the healthcare field to pick up this course.

By Nguemeni C

May 31, 2017

This course is the best course I ever took on coursera. Although I knew a lot about neuroscience before starting the course, the journey with Pr. White was amazing. The material and resources are very helpful and the mentors are doing a great job.

Overall this is a great course both for beginners and professional in neuroscience/medicine.

Thanks for puting up such a good module.

By Gerardo R G

Feb 06, 2020

Easily the hardest and most challenging class I have ever taken. It goes deep into the brains structure, functions, processes. Many terms, definitions. The instructor almost seems like a genius as he shares his passion for the subject through the tutorials. He makes a good attempt to be fun and to keep a rhythm With the learning. Bring your A game, this is not an easy journey.

By Ashley M

Jul 15, 2020

This course and certificate was beyond what I was looking for. It gave so much detail, hands on learning ability and application of the information learned. I value everything I have learned so much and have already put some into practice with my father who has Parkinsons. Thank you for making this course possible. It was fantastic and I would highly recommend it to anyone!

By Roberto Q

Jul 08, 2020

Muchas gracias!

Este es un curso que toda persona que ame el cerebro debe llevar, es un curso en el que se aprende muchísimo, el Dr. White es un muy buen maestro, de verdad lo recomiendo. La plataforma es muy amigable y la metodología online es especialmente práctica en este tiempo de pandemia, sobre todo para los estudiantes de medicina que queremos continuar formandonos.

By Ankita S

Apr 19, 2020

Brilliantly developed and taught! Even for beginners in the field of neuroscience like myself, the course material was very well suited. This course served as the perfect platform for me to look at Neuroscience as a potential field for obtaining a PhD in. Many thanks to all the developers, especially Prof. White. Your interactive sessions were what made it so interesting!

By Rocío R

May 16, 2018

This course has changed my life, truly, I'm about to start a MS in neurology at my Uni (Oviedo, Spain) but I definitely think it's due to prof. Leonard White, he's smart, funny and brilliant in his job. Even though this is an online and distance learning course, he's such a cool professor. Thanks for loving your work and making others fall in love with neuroscience :)

By Thais P P S

Sep 10, 2017

The teacher is very good,he teaches very well.Show us the basic concepts,envolving to clinical charts.I have difficulty in classes with specimens.In general,the course is very embracing and we fineshed it knowing to identify many cerebral sctrutures, as well as their localization and funtion and all this provides a valuable knowledge about the wonderful human's brain.