Back to Medical Neuroscience

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Medical Neuroscience by Duke University

Medical Neuroscience explores the functional organization and neurophysiology of the human central nervous system, while providing a neurobiological framework for understanding human behavior. In this course, you will discover the organization of the neural systems in the brain and spinal cord that mediate sensation, motivate bodily action, and integrate sensorimotor signals with memory, emotion and related faculties of cognition. The overall goal of this course is to provide the foundation for understanding the impairments of sensation, action and cognition that accompany injury, disease or dysfunction in the central nervous system. The course will build upon knowledge acquired through prior studies of cell and molecular biology, general physiology and human anatomy, as we focus primarily on the central nervous system. This online course is designed to include all of the core concepts in neurophysiology and clinical neuroanatomy that would be presented in most first-year neuroscience courses in schools of medicine. However, there are some topics (e.g., biological psychiatry) and several learning experiences (e.g., hands-on brain dissection) that we provide in the corresponding course offered in the Duke University School of Medicine on campus that we are not attempting to reproduce in Medical Neuroscience online. Nevertheless, our aim is to faithfully present in scope and rigor a medical school caliber course experience. This course comprises six units of content organized into 12 weeks, with an additional week for a comprehensive final exam: - Unit 1 Neuroanatomy (weeks 1-2). This unit covers the surface anatomy of the human brain, its internal structure, and the overall organization of sensory and motor systems in the brainstem and spinal cord. - Unit 2 Neural signaling (weeks 3-4). This unit addresses the fundamental mechanisms of neuronal excitability, signal generation and propagation, synaptic transmission, post synaptic mechanisms of signal integration, and neural plasticity. - Unit 3 Sensory systems (weeks 5-7). Here, you will learn the overall organization and function of the sensory systems that contribute to our sense of self relative to the world around us: somatic sensory systems, proprioception, vision, audition, and balance senses. - Unit 4 Motor systems (weeks 8-9). In this unit, we will examine the organization and function of the brain and spinal mechanisms that govern bodily movement. - Unit 5 Brain Development (week 10). Next, we turn our attention to the neurobiological mechanisms for building the nervous system in embryonic development and in early postnatal life; we will also consider how the brain changes across the lifespan. - Unit 6 Cognition (weeks 11-12). The course concludes with a survey of the association systems of the cerebral hemispheres, with an emphasis on cortical networks that integrate perception, memory and emotion in organizing behavior and planning for the future; we will also consider brain systems for maintaining homeostasis and regulating brain state....

MG
Jan 14, 2021

This course was a great opportunity for me to understand the world of neurology and helped me to clear all the ambiguities regarding the complex mechanisms that are happening in our beautiful brains.

KT
Nov 21, 2018

I leant so much without even realising it until I got to the final exams and all this knowledge was making sense. Amazing lecturer with so much wisdom in the area. The course is very well delivered.

101 - 125 of 628 Reviews for Medical Neuroscience

By Firdevs M

Jun 25, 2020

This course has been my favourite online course so far! During the last 13 weeks I was able to comprehend various topics in medical neuroscience with the extraordinary help of Prof. White, who appeared motivated to teach in every single video, which motivated me even more to continue to broaden my horizons, deepen my knowledge and find another interesting fact about the most complex organ in the human body.

By johan e

Jun 27, 2016

Esta 100% completo respecto a los conocimientos impartidos en la carrera de medicina para la materia de neurociencias y neuroanatomía. Definitivamente a contribuido en mucho más de lo aprendido en las clases a las que asistí en mi universidad sobre la misma materia.

Gracias Universidad Duke por colaborar con tan inmensa cantidad de conocimientos y espero en el futuro poder aprender mucho más con su ayuda.

By chloé H

Apr 11, 2021

It was my first mooc and I didn't expect such a dense and rich course . It gave me so much keys to understand more of the fabulous human brain function so I will use it for my work with patients . Pr White is a fantastic teacher and even virtually we can apprehend his kindness and patience and passion. I surely recommand this course. Thank you to all people who participate to create this mooc .

By joni K

Jan 24, 2020

Amazing course ..... I almost packed it in week 3...... Thinking I could not complete it ... too hard. BUT I followed the professors advice and completed. This course taught me how to to learn and I am grateful. I recommend it to anyone who likes a challenge and seaks the neuroscience knowledge that this course provides. For me it was the toughest coursera course I have done. DO IT !!!!!!!!

By SRI J M

Jun 6, 2021

Excellent experience and I have learned a lot from this fascinating course. Heartful thanks to Prof.White. Your teaching enhanced my knowledge. I had understood all pieces of information with your wonderful presentations. After completion, I want to study at Duke University with your guidance, sir. Thanks a lot for everything., sir. Hats off to Coursera for providing this valuable course,

By Prakash P

Jan 18, 2021

This course on Neuroscience is packed with deep knowledge on Brain and disorders caused by damage to brain..It was treat to listen and watch videos by Professor Len White. It has helped me to understand the subject in depth and cleared many of my concepts which were so far confusing to me Thank you Professor White for your wonderful and easy to understand lectures. Thank You Coursera.

By Bame O D

Jul 17, 2020

For my whole life i have been looking for something that will arouse my passion, Having complete Medical Medical Neuroscience at one of the best Institution, Duke University arose that passion,i am looking forward to coming back there and work with Professor Leornard White, thanks for the way you were in explaining those concepts, Hebbs Postulate and Synaptic plasticity to mention a few

By Robertus A K P

Jun 7, 2017

I am grateful for taking this course. For the purpose of continuing my study to molecular neuroscience from psychology, this Medical Neuroscience course has helped me understanding the basic principles as well as how to apply the knowledge practically. Although sometime it was difficult, I found the professor very interesting and encouraging. Thanks again for this learning opportunity.

By Al-Rashid J

Apr 8, 2018

Such a great, in-depth analysis of neuroscience as a whole. Extremely grateful that a professor, who's probably heavily occupied by daily life, went out of his way to assist in educating the world over regarding this fascinating topic. If you have time to spare and you've always wondered about how the brain works, this is a great starting point to begin one's journey into the brain.

By Calvin C

Apr 30, 2020

A very comprehensive approach to the beginnings of neuroscience. Out of all the neuro related courses I have taken, this one was the most clear. There's so much knowledge and material, that you get for free. I really enjoyed the approach of Dr. white and could see the passion exuding from him. I highly recommend anyone planning to enter the healthcare field to pick up this course.

By Nguemeni C

May 31, 2017

This course is the best course I ever took on coursera. Although I knew a lot about neuroscience before starting the course, the journey with Pr. White was amazing. The material and resources are very helpful and the mentors are doing a great job.

Overall this is a great course both for beginners and professional in neuroscience/medicine.

Thanks for puting up such a good module.

By Gerardo R G

Feb 6, 2020

Easily the hardest and most challenging class I have ever taken. It goes deep into the brains structure, functions, processes. Many terms, definitions. The instructor almost seems like a genius as he shares his passion for the subject through the tutorials. He makes a good attempt to be fun and to keep a rhythm With the learning. Bring your A game, this is not an easy journey.

By Ashley M

Jul 15, 2020

This course and certificate was beyond what I was looking for. It gave so much detail, hands on learning ability and application of the information learned. I value everything I have learned so much and have already put some into practice with my father who has Parkinsons. Thank you for making this course possible. It was fantastic and I would highly recommend it to anyone!

By Katrina L

Oct 26, 2020

I do not have enough words to praise professor White. Not only is he a gifted teacher, he is personable and very much someone you'd love to invite for dinner! The course itself is well-structured and easy to follow. My only regret is that there is no way to find out the correct answers to the weekly tests for those of us who are on the "other side" after passing the finals

By Roberto Q

Jul 7, 2020

Muchas gracias!

Este es un curso que toda persona que ame el cerebro debe llevar, es un curso en el que se aprende muchísimo, el Dr. White es un muy buen maestro, de verdad lo recomiendo. La plataforma es muy amigable y la metodología online es especialmente práctica en este tiempo de pandemia, sobre todo para los estudiantes de medicina que queremos continuar formandonos.

By Ankita S

Apr 19, 2020

Brilliantly developed and taught! Even for beginners in the field of neuroscience like myself, the course material was very well suited. This course served as the perfect platform for me to look at Neuroscience as a potential field for obtaining a PhD in. Many thanks to all the developers, especially Prof. White. Your interactive sessions were what made it so interesting!

By Rocío R

May 16, 2018

This course has changed my life, truly, I'm about to start a MS in neurology at my Uni (Oviedo, Spain) but I definitely think it's due to prof. Leonard White, he's smart, funny and brilliant in his job. Even though this is an online and distance learning course, he's such a cool professor. Thanks for loving your work and making others fall in love with neuroscience :)

By Thais P P S

Sep 10, 2017

The teacher is very good,he teaches very well.Show us the basic concepts,envolving to clinical charts.I have difficulty in classes with specimens.In general,the course is very embracing and we fineshed it knowing to identify many cerebral sctrutures, as well as their localization and funtion and all this provides a valuable knowledge about the wonderful human's brain.

By Daniel S

Aug 21, 2018

Well worth the time put in to complete. The course deals with some very complex phenomena in a well structured, bottom-up manor that is attainable to anyone wanting to enter into the world of neuroscience. Prof. White does a great job of navigating through the many aspects and layers of neuroscience. It is accomplishing to complete and I would highly recommend.

By Zeno H

Feb 26, 2021

Medical Neuroscience is really a fascinating course for people who are interested in the field of brain sciences. So many thanks to Prof. White who provided us with all these meaningful lectures, tutorial notes, and discussion questions. For anyone interested in the nature of human brains, I STRONGLY recommend him or her to take a 13-week tour of this course!

By Philip W M

Aug 15, 2019

This is an amazing and thorough course. I can only imagine how much work and time was spent by the Duke University staff, especially Dr. White, to make this amazing course possible. Thank you so much to each and every one of you that worked on making this a quality and interesting course available online at a reasonable price.

-Phil Morrison, Auxvasse, MO

By Meredith O

Aug 16, 2016

This course is thorough and well-designed for learning. It connects the basic science with real-life applications. There's an additional course website that was created by a former student, and it has numerous additional resources. Dr. White's knowledge, open-hearted sharing, and enthusiasm for the subject are what make this a 5-star class. He's outstanding!

By Gerardo M H

Jun 17, 2018

It's the best course about Neuroscience. The professor explain every single detailed of neuroanatomy, and he manage to relate the physiology and anatomy without trouble. At the beginin of each video, he get in you a summarize and that thing helps to argue for learning more. Unfortunately I don't have access to Sylvius, but it's easy to follow with tutorial.

By P I

Jul 28, 2019

Anyone interested in Neuroscience would greatly benefit from this course. Wonderful material and presentations. Further, the quizzes and exams stretch you and help you integrate it all together. The course isn't easy and requires a fair amount of time investment, but if you are really interested in learning more about Brain, it is a time well worth spent.