Back to Medical Neuroscience

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Medical Neuroscience by Duke University

Medical Neuroscience explores the functional organization and neurophysiology of the human central nervous system, while providing a neurobiological framework for understanding human behavior. In this course, you will discover the organization of the neural systems in the brain and spinal cord that mediate sensation, motivate bodily action, and integrate sensorimotor signals with memory, emotion and related faculties of cognition. The overall goal of this course is to provide the foundation for understanding the impairments of sensation, action and cognition that accompany injury, disease or dysfunction in the central nervous system. The course will build upon knowledge acquired through prior studies of cell and molecular biology, general physiology and human anatomy, as we focus primarily on the central nervous system. This online course is designed to include all of the core concepts in neurophysiology and clinical neuroanatomy that would be presented in most first-year neuroscience courses in schools of medicine. However, there are some topics (e.g., biological psychiatry) and several learning experiences (e.g., hands-on brain dissection) that we provide in the corresponding course offered in the Duke University School of Medicine on campus that we are not attempting to reproduce in Medical Neuroscience online. Nevertheless, our aim is to faithfully present in scope and rigor a medical school caliber course experience. This course comprises six units of content organized into 12 weeks, with an additional week for a comprehensive final exam: - Unit 1 Neuroanatomy (weeks 1-2). This unit covers the surface anatomy of the human brain, its internal structure, and the overall organization of sensory and motor systems in the brainstem and spinal cord. - Unit 2 Neural signaling (weeks 3-4). This unit addresses the fundamental mechanisms of neuronal excitability, signal generation and propagation, synaptic transmission, post synaptic mechanisms of signal integration, and neural plasticity. - Unit 3 Sensory systems (weeks 5-7). Here, you will learn the overall organization and function of the sensory systems that contribute to our sense of self relative to the world around us: somatic sensory systems, proprioception, vision, audition, and balance senses. - Unit 4 Motor systems (weeks 8-9). In this unit, we will examine the organization and function of the brain and spinal mechanisms that govern bodily movement. - Unit 5 Brain Development (week 10). Next, we turn our attention to the neurobiological mechanisms for building the nervous system in embryonic development and in early postnatal life; we will also consider how the brain changes across the lifespan. - Unit 6 Cognition (weeks 11-12). The course concludes with a survey of the association systems of the cerebral hemispheres, with an emphasis on cortical networks that integrate perception, memory and emotion in organizing behavior and planning for the future; we will also consider brain systems for maintaining homeostasis and regulating brain state....

KT

Nov 22, 2018

I leant so much without even realising it until I got to the final exams and all this knowledge was making sense. Amazing lecturer with so much wisdom in the area. The course is very well delivered.

KR

Dec 22, 2016

I have not really taken any Neuroscience courses and I have to say this was very challenging with my already full-time load at school but I did it! Yay! I love Dr. White he is an awesome professor!

101 - 125 of 392 Reviews for Medical Neuroscience

By Adriana C L

Nov 10, 2019

Best online course I have ever taken (and it´s been quite a long list of them). Professor White made it all clear, easy to understand and quite a joy to study. Thanks for all the hard work behind this course. It was hard work but it was all worth it.

By Khadim H C

Jul 05, 2018

An out class course from Duke University Medical School. Prof Leunord White Is a well known authority on Neuroscience. Through his extensive research on Brain and Spinal cord anatomy he and his colleagues have prepared a lovely course for coursera.

By Smirnov K

Jun 13, 2017

This course is outstanding! A lot of complicated things are very accessibly explained. Regular links between anatomy and physiology really help not to get lost in brain complexity. I feel much more competent after listening to the lectures.

Thanks!

By Ali M M

Aug 06, 2019

I love this course. This course changes my mind regarding with Brain. Yes, this course will help me in my Research field. Thank you Dr. White and Course era to provide such a wonderful platform. Hope to complete this course as soon as possible :)

By SV

Dec 26, 2017

One of the best neuroscience courses out there. The professor is a gem and has put so much effort into the course. A massive amount of information that will serve me well beyond the length of Coursera. Thank you so much for this quality course.

By Ivan S

Jul 15, 2016

I have no words for assessment the course. Thanks for all you've done for all of us. Doctor White is the best teacher I've ever seen in my whole life. There is an enormous amount of polite feelings during performing the tasks, Sincerely Ivan ;)

By Alisa P

Oct 17, 2016

Structural, broad, extremely interesting and so much helpful in CNS work understanding. Thank you very much for the knowledge and inspiration.

By the way, some of the universities already recognise this course as big plus for Msc application.

By Sofia I M S

Aug 11, 2016

Great course! The tutorials are very complete and the lengthy explanations allow anyone without previous knowledge of neuroscience to join the course. There are also many opportunities and ways to interact with fellow students. Thank you!

By Noor B

Aug 29, 2016

The very value able efforts made by Professor White in Medical neurosciences, it is quite, sufficient materials for learners of medical graduates. I found this course a big challenge. Thanks To Professor Len White and the whole team.

By Ricardo R

Jan 28, 2017

Dr. White's classes are concise and very, very enjoyable. The syllabus is very complete and the overall course structure is excellent. I highly recommend this course to anyone who wants to know the inner workings of the human brain.

By Ayman T

Aug 03, 2017

This is an outstanding course and Prof. White is a great teacher and his enthusiasm and passion for neuroscience and educating others is readily apparent. I would not hesitate to sign up to any other courses developed by this team.

By Liuxiaohong

Aug 10, 2016

this is a fabulous course with deep insight content as well as a professional team which is lead by an excellent professor, which could maximize the benefits for every students who want to explore the journey of the neuroscience.

By Elena D

May 01, 2017

This is a challenging, amazingly interesting and inspiring course. It gives you great foundation in the subject as well as basis for practical application of knowledge. Many-many thanks to professor White and the Team!

By george t

Sep 16, 2017

THE BEST CLASS EVER.. In non Academic terms... "Da SH*et!" - Awesome really. Thanks Dr. White for taking the time to really dedicate such awesome materials, and with such sincerity and passion.

George - Taiwan

By Ramyasshree R

May 25, 2019

Thank you so much for offering such a wonderful course ! Dr White has presented this course in such an engaging manner, that helped sustain the interest and curiosity throughout the course. Many thanks again.

By Saif A B

Jul 27, 2017

I really appreciate this course and happy to pass it successfully. You will cover almost every aspect of medical neuroscience. This course helped me to enhance my visual and abstract neurological perception.

By Maddy C

Jan 13, 2017

This was a fantastic course, very interesting and a real challenge! I thoroughly recommend it to those who know about medical science as those who don't will struggle. It was very hard work but worth it!!

By Maria D C C M

Sep 29, 2019

A marvellous experience!

I highly encourage you to enroll this course if you want to discover the complexity of our amazing brain!

Thank you Coursera and Duke university for sharing this knowledge to us.

By letitia f

Jun 29, 2018

I am absolutely not working in the field of medical neurosciences (neither do I intend to), but I found the course amazing. Thank you very much for the pedagogic approach very clear and well constructed.

By Bridget M

Jul 02, 2017

Dr. White is phenomenal and I learned more than I imagined I could. I look forward to using my newfound knowledge to help those in need and continue my journey further into the Neuroscience world. -Dr. B

By Omar C A

Jun 13, 2017

Best course I have taken in Coursera so far. You have to work hard, but it´s worth it. Dr. White is one of the best professors I have ever had. He enjoys teaching, and he is a passionate of his subject.

By Cristian N

May 08, 2018

This is a top tier course, with medical knowledge presented in a way that's easy to follow. You can see the effort and dedication shown by Dr. White and his team. Thanks for such an amazing job.

By Deusdenir d S M

Apr 17, 2019

It is a great course, impressive didactics and variability from external sources. I am very grateful for the opportunity. The course is helping me to improve my knowledge. Thank you very much.

By Luis C

Sep 09, 2017

An excellent course for my medical specialty (physical medicine and rehabilitation) in which the knowledge of neuroscience are based on treatments aimed at neurological rehabilitation.

By Michael M

Jan 31, 2019

This course was really a fantastic experience. Professor White provided very well presented tutorials and his wealth of knowledge and commitment to teaching was very much appreciated.