Back to Medical Neuroscience

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Medical Neuroscience by Duke University

Medical Neuroscience explores the functional organization and neurophysiology of the human central nervous system, while providing a neurobiological framework for understanding human behavior. In this course, you will discover the organization of the neural systems in the brain and spinal cord that mediate sensation, motivate bodily action, and integrate sensorimotor signals with memory, emotion and related faculties of cognition. The overall goal of this course is to provide the foundation for understanding the impairments of sensation, action and cognition that accompany injury, disease or dysfunction in the central nervous system. The course will build upon knowledge acquired through prior studies of cell and molecular biology, general physiology and human anatomy, as we focus primarily on the central nervous system. This online course is designed to include all of the core concepts in neurophysiology and clinical neuroanatomy that would be presented in most first-year neuroscience courses in schools of medicine. However, there are some topics (e.g., biological psychiatry) and several learning experiences (e.g., hands-on brain dissection) that we provide in the corresponding course offered in the Duke University School of Medicine on campus that we are not attempting to reproduce in Medical Neuroscience online. Nevertheless, our aim is to faithfully present in scope and rigor a medical school caliber course experience. This course comprises six units of content organized into 12 weeks, with an additional week for a comprehensive final exam: - Unit 1 Neuroanatomy (weeks 1-2). This unit covers the surface anatomy of the human brain, its internal structure, and the overall organization of sensory and motor systems in the brainstem and spinal cord. - Unit 2 Neural signaling (weeks 3-4). This unit addresses the fundamental mechanisms of neuronal excitability, signal generation and propagation, synaptic transmission, post synaptic mechanisms of signal integration, and neural plasticity. - Unit 3 Sensory systems (weeks 5-7). Here, you will learn the overall organization and function of the sensory systems that contribute to our sense of self relative to the world around us: somatic sensory systems, proprioception, vision, audition, and balance senses. - Unit 4 Motor systems (weeks 8-9). In this unit, we will examine the organization and function of the brain and spinal mechanisms that govern bodily movement. - Unit 5 Brain Development (week 10). Next, we turn our attention to the neurobiological mechanisms for building the nervous system in embryonic development and in early postnatal life; we will also consider how the brain changes across the lifespan. - Unit 6 Cognition (weeks 11-12). The course concludes with a survey of the association systems of the cerebral hemispheres, with an emphasis on cortical networks that integrate perception, memory and emotion in organizing behavior and planning for the future; we will also consider brain systems for maintaining homeostasis and regulating brain state....

KT

Nov 22, 2018

I leant so much without even realising it until I got to the final exams and all this knowledge was making sense. Amazing lecturer with so much wisdom in the area. The course is very well delivered.

KR

Dec 22, 2016

I have not really taken any Neuroscience courses and I have to say this was very challenging with my already full-time load at school but I did it! Yay! I love Dr. White he is an awesome professor!

126 - 150 of 392 Reviews for Medical Neuroscience

By Shilpa A

Nov 17, 2017

I found this course extremely useful. It was exactly what I needed and expected. A structured study of the brain and the spinal chord starting at the cellular level. A perfect course!

By Venkateshwaran S

Nov 23, 2018

Excellent course . Thank you to Dr White and all the staff at Duke University. Will hopefully have chance to meet Dr White in person ito Thanks .Ignited by interest in Neuroscience.

By Ruth H

Nov 22, 2017

fantastically taught course. so well structured..thoroughly enjoyed the challenge and has motivated me to learn more in the field of neuroscience.Prof White is an excellent teacher.

By Raul E P

Mar 16, 2017

Very nice course. I enjoyed and learned a lot! Just to give some comments to improve it, it will have been nice to have more clinical cases during the course. But, I like it a lot.

By Dengrong J

Jul 17, 2018

Very comprehensive and in-depth! Dr. White explains things nicely. A wonderful part of this course is that it always links the science of nervous systems to the clinical symptoms.

By Emma S

Aug 31, 2017

This is a very detailed and well-taught course. Prof White's enthusiasm for both the subject and teaching is apparent, and it's hard not to be infected by a love for neuroscience.

By Eva P d A R

Jun 17, 2017

Amazing course, I am deeply grateful for having the opportunity to enroll in Medical Neuroscience and learn so much. Thank you very much, professor White and the rest of the staff

By Renato B B

May 12, 2019

Excellent Professor , excellent course, I learned a lot, improved my knowledge, evolves a lot. I'm very grateful

Renato Bestetti , MD , Ribeirão Preto , São Paulo State , Brazil

By beatriz a c

Oct 26, 2016

Amazing course and very complete. I do not advise it to beginner students, since it goes very deep into the study of the brain. But I totally recommend for high degree students.

By AP

Sep 19, 2019

Amazing. This is what my medical neuroscience course in graduate school SHOULD have been. Dr. White is an excellent instructor, and the supplementary materials are excellent.

By Marta

Jul 21, 2016

Wonderful. You need a lot of motivation beacuse it is full of (great) content, so the "lazy days" may come, but even if you fail to finish this course it is totally worth it.

By Rogerio d L e S

Jun 09, 2017

Excelente curso, superou todas as minhas expectativas. Recomendo a todos o desafio de superar a si mesmo dedicando aos estudos. Curso "Qualidade" de 1º Mundo. Recomendo.

By David C G

Oct 16, 2016

The best course I have ever studied through internet. I quit due to a matter of not enough spare time to devote. I hope I will be able to finish it in the near future.

By Sushmitha

Sep 26, 2016

Four months back, I barely knew few terms in the context of Brain. And today, I'm capable of diagnosing neurological disorders. Immense amount of knowledge gained!

By Jxq@umich.edu

Oct 06, 2018

Excellent course! Dr. White taught the neuroanatomy in a clear way and everything makes sense! Really wish that there are more materials for neuropathophysiology.

By Sanjoy B

Dec 18, 2019

Amazing content and seriously informative. Anyone who is curious about functioning of brain and its structure must take this course. It's very serious stuff.

By Li Y

Jun 18, 2017

It took me a lot of hard work to complete this course. But it's really a great course and I'm very glad that I make it to the end. Thank you Duke University.

By Jaclyn M

Oct 28, 2019

I learned so much! One thing that became very obvious to me is that no matter how much I do learn, there is always more to learn about the brain! THANK YOU

By 游露灵

Oct 28, 2016

It's a wonderful course, very helpful to my further study in neuroscience. Would be better if the captions of tutorial videos do not have so many mistakes.

By João P B d S

Jul 05, 2016

Professor White is an example of real dedication and passion in the field of education. By far, this is the most thoghtfully organized course I've taken!

By Simón R C

Nov 10, 2018

Awesome, demanding, and complete course for everyone that wants to take the firsts steps inside the deep and still unexplored cavern that is neuroscience.

By Fabian M

Sep 09, 2018

Fascinating course. I am a computer engineer but I decided to enroll out of curiosity and so far it has been a fascinating tour into this complex field.

By Rabea L

Feb 19, 2017

Fantastic course for everybody who wants to get a view into this great topic. I'm studying Psychology at a German University and the course helped a lot.

By Diana M

Dec 28, 2017

Un curso muy dinámico, interactivo, fácil de entender y te guía paso a paso en el conocimiento básico de las neurociencias. Sin duda, ¡muy recomendable!

By Álvaro I R

Dec 05, 2017

Really complete course. I'm really thankful for Prof. White's work. I found a very complete course and a really dynamic and knowledge-seeking comunity