Back to Medical Neuroscience

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Medical Neuroscience by Duke University

Medical Neuroscience explores the functional organization and neurophysiology of the human central nervous system, while providing a neurobiological framework for understanding human behavior. In this course, you will discover the organization of the neural systems in the brain and spinal cord that mediate sensation, motivate bodily action, and integrate sensorimotor signals with memory, emotion and related faculties of cognition. The overall goal of this course is to provide the foundation for understanding the impairments of sensation, action and cognition that accompany injury, disease or dysfunction in the central nervous system. The course will build upon knowledge acquired through prior studies of cell and molecular biology, general physiology and human anatomy, as we focus primarily on the central nervous system. This online course is designed to include all of the core concepts in neurophysiology and clinical neuroanatomy that would be presented in most first-year neuroscience courses in schools of medicine. However, there are some topics (e.g., biological psychiatry) and several learning experiences (e.g., hands-on brain dissection) that we provide in the corresponding course offered in the Duke University School of Medicine on campus that we are not attempting to reproduce in Medical Neuroscience online. Nevertheless, our aim is to faithfully present in scope and rigor a medical school caliber course experience. This course comprises six units of content organized into 12 weeks, with an additional week for a comprehensive final exam: - Unit 1 Neuroanatomy (weeks 1-2). This unit covers the surface anatomy of the human brain, its internal structure, and the overall organization of sensory and motor systems in the brainstem and spinal cord. - Unit 2 Neural signaling (weeks 3-4). This unit addresses the fundamental mechanisms of neuronal excitability, signal generation and propagation, synaptic transmission, post synaptic mechanisms of signal integration, and neural plasticity. - Unit 3 Sensory systems (weeks 5-7). Here, you will learn the overall organization and function of the sensory systems that contribute to our sense of self relative to the world around us: somatic sensory systems, proprioception, vision, audition, and balance senses. - Unit 4 Motor systems (weeks 8-9). In this unit, we will examine the organization and function of the brain and spinal mechanisms that govern bodily movement. - Unit 5 Brain Development (week 10). Next, we turn our attention to the neurobiological mechanisms for building the nervous system in embryonic development and in early postnatal life; we will also consider how the brain changes across the lifespan. - Unit 6 Cognition (weeks 11-12). The course concludes with a survey of the association systems of the cerebral hemispheres, with an emphasis on cortical networks that integrate perception, memory and emotion in organizing behavior and planning for the future; we will also consider brain systems for maintaining homeostasis and regulating brain state....

MG
Jan 14, 2021

This course was a great opportunity for me to understand the world of neurology and helped me to clear all the ambiguities regarding the complex mechanisms that are happening in our beautiful brains.

KT
Nov 21, 2018

I leant so much without even realising it until I got to the final exams and all this knowledge was making sense. Amazing lecturer with so much wisdom in the area. The course is very well delivered.

126 - 150 of 580 Reviews for Medical Neuroscience

By Siddhant S

Aug 11, 2020

It was an extremely well structured and informative course. Though I am not a medical student (in fact I am an engineer) it was easy to understand the complex issues because of the excellent teaching methodology of Prof White. I am motivated to take up additional courses in this wonderful and magical field of Neuroscience.

By Aamena A

Jul 30, 2020

A wonderful experience and a journey. Absolutely love and appreciate the efforts put in by Dr. Len and the team at Duke University. The material was just the right amount and comprehensive. I would highly suggest to anyone who wants to learn about the thing that brought them here to this course (referring to your brain!).

By Kinusan D S

May 7, 2019

What an amazing, in-depth course! I took a NAP (Neuro-Anatomy-Physiology) course back in 1988 and it was not this comprehensive in terms learning objectives nor in meeting the learning outcomes in the syllabus. Congrats Leo! It was equally a pleasure to see nature evolve in your back-yard during the learning program.

By Maria d L S C

Jan 14, 2021

Me encantó en curso a pesar de que me costó mucho trabajo ya que soy Antropóloga Física y no médico. Pero aprendí mucho sobre el cerebro y aquellos aspectos de él que nos hacen ser lo que somos.

Agradezco al Profesor White su forma tan amena y comprensiva de enseñar, quisiera haber tomado el curso presencialmente.

By Valeriia P

Jul 1, 2020

I am so happy that I've decided to take part in this course! It helped me to improve my knowledge for better understanding of complicated brain functions. It was a great plesure to spend time with professor White in his tutorials! I hope Duke University will make some other courses concerning Neurosciences :)

By christelle g

Mar 13, 2020

I really recommand this course : It's very complete (more than a course in French University !) ; very good motivating and engaging teacher, who had pleasure in teaching ; Very serious ; the quizzes change and are picky.

I'm used to Mooc but THIS ONE IS EXCEPTIONAL, really at THE TOP ! Thank you Mr WHITE !

By Rodrigo O R

Sep 28, 2018

Excellent course, well taught and clear. It's very advisable to have a biology/medicine background. It helped me to watch the lessons with the speed increased by 2x, it made it more dynamical.

The Neuroscience Book 6 Ed you must get in order to profit the most from this course.

Greetings from México City.

By Kishore R S

Dec 5, 2017

This is one of the best courses I have ever come across. I get to learn the A-Z of Neuroscience by practically getting to see stuff in real human brain specimen without having to be enrolled in a Med school. I feel highly grateful to the team that has put massive efforts to make this course available...

By Sergio C C

Jun 13, 2020

Amazing course with an amazing lecturer. It helped me a lot and even though I though that I was not ready for the challenge at the beggining of the course, I ended up learning and enjoying every bit of it! Thank you for this and I hope that my future in neuroscience will be as succesful as this course!

By Julio N R T

Sep 29, 2020

Excellent course!. It Is very complete and absorbing. It's really exciting to know that an important professor in the academy and research is giving you the course. It was hard! a lot of hours working and studying, but it was worth it!. I am sure this course help me a lot to in my road as a researcher

By Alia A G

Sep 13, 2020

One of the best and comprehensive courses I've ever taken. Dr. White is an amazing lecturer who takes you step by step into the basis of neuroscience. I highly recommend this course as a start to any one pursuing this field. So much respect and many thanks to Dr. White for his great effort and work!

By Saswata B

Jun 18, 2019

A fascinating journey through the brain and the spinal cord as we discover the pathways, networks and circuitry, discovering the basis of our function and being human. Neuroscience has been my interest since my childhood and thank you Dr. White and Coursera for this wonderful experience. Cheers!

By Nandita R

Sep 23, 2018

It is just amazing! Had the opportunity to learn so much about the brain and its functioning. Made me become aware of the incredulous backstage processing that occurs to produce the simple ways that make us human and that we take granted for. Thank you Prof. White for the amazing journey.

By Robert G

Jan 4, 2021

The course was very well organized, with the quizzes reinforcing the video lectures. In particular, I enjoyed the lab sessions and the tutorial notes. The quizzes and final examination were challenging, yet fair. Overall, Medical Neuroscience was a fascinating educational experience!

By Fariel S

Nov 8, 2020

amazing course. I am from a physics background, but this course was a real eye opener for me.. a lot of things that physicists think about such as consciousness are actually explained here very coherently. I hope this course will help me in my future work. Really great instructor.

By Luis E B H

Apr 30, 2020

It is only enough to thank each and every one of the people who have allowed us to access this course full of wisdom, passion and fun. A googolplex of thanks to you. Especially to our great teacher, Leonard. Thanks, you have allowed me to reinforce the love I have for the brain.

By Lawzha L

May 28, 2018

Very detailed and very informing, I learned a whole lot from this course, it contains very useful information and it is taught in an amazing way!

Upon the completion of this course I developed a passion for Neurosurgery, and I think that's the specialty that I'm going to pursue!

By Jake E B

Mar 10, 2019

this course is challenging, but it is 100% do-able if you are committed and really assign a purpose to doing well in this course. dr white is amazing and really knowledgable, there is so much to learn from him. there are also ton of resources for you to do well. you can do it!!

By Pauline Z

Jun 17, 2020

Great in many points! Sometimes very hard, but worth it.

I would have love to have more courses on cognition and emotions.

The videos are great and the quality of the course is truly enjoyable. The teacher is also great and is a very good speaker, easy to understand, to follow.

By Thin Y

Oct 31, 2020

Lenoard E.White is an excellent teacher. It is a great course that gives us a lot of interesting points and knowledge about Neuroscience. It helps me a lot in learning neuroscience. I want to suggest that everyone that is interested in neuroscience should apply this course.

By Cecile D

Jun 29, 2016

Really great content and teacher, and also really challenging. Hard work needed to succeed, but it's really worth it ! Recommend it for all person interested in understanding how the brain (and all the superior brain functions such as memory, cognition, emotions...) works.

By Ahmed F F

Sep 4, 2020

Absolutely Fantastic course by Professor Len White... Highly recommended for anybody with interest in the field of Neuroscience as this course gives you a great basic concept and a depth of knowledge in the subject and continuously encourages to learn more and improve.

By Angello D

Sep 25, 2020

It has been an excellent experience, the course is really well organized and professor Leonard White is very good at explaining all neuroscience topics. Neurosciences fascinate me and I found this course the best course I have ever taken so far. I highly recommend it.

By Marc L

Jul 25, 2017

Excellent in-depth course. Many great features, including very rich extra materials and study tools.

One annoyance: the infinite repeating of the "core neuroscience concepts" at the start of each little section (yes, we know the brain is complex!), but easy to skip.

By Kajol V S

Jul 1, 2020

Loved this course at a great extent. helped me learn a lot in fair depth. very very grateful to Mr. White for putting so much efforts in preparing this course for us. his love for the brain reflects throughout the course which makes it even more interesting to study.