Back to Understanding Medical Research: Your Facebook Friend is Wrong

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Medical Research: Your Facebook Friend is Wrong by Yale University

How can you tell if the bold headlines seen on social media are truly touting the next big thing or if the article isn't worth the paper it's printed on? Understanding Medical Studies, will provide you with the tools and skills you need to critically interpret medical studies, and determine for yourself the difference between good and bad science. The course covers study-design, research methods, and statistical interpretation. It also delves into the dark side of medical research by covering fraud, biases, and common misinterpretations of data. Each lesson will highlight case-studies from real-world journal articles. By the end of this course, you'll have the tools you need to determine the trustworthiness of the scientific information you're reading and, of course, whether or not your Facebook friend is wrong. This course was made possible in part by the George M. O'Brien Kidney Center at Yale....

JM
Aug 1, 2020

Excellent course for physical therapists wanting to learn how to critically review the research literature. For those of us who completed physical therapy school > 15 years ago, this course is a must!

JA
Jul 24, 2020

This is a great course that helps you interpret the correct way to read clinical studies. It's something I'll use, especially when and if I am asked to take a medication that has serious side effects.

51 - 75 of 489 Reviews for Understanding Medical Research: Your Facebook Friend is Wrong

By Olga B

Jan 9, 2021

I like the course! It was deepen me into the basics of medical research and studies in a funny and hilarious way! I absolutely love Dr. Wilson's style of teaching (light, but informative). Also very good idea to interview real students, it made me to smile during learning. Some personal details from Dr. Wilson were good too as you get a chance to personally know your teacher better. Of course, after this course you won't be an expert in a medical research and statistics, but it can be a beginning of this. From the negative part of my review I can tell that now I would like to participate in further courses with Dr. Wilson (maybe, not that basic, but more deep with some math in them). But they are not available yet)). A big thank you to all the team of Yale University who made it possible to students from different countries to learn this course.

By Ryapolova N V

Nov 6, 2020

One of the best courses I have taken. It has lots of useful information for professionals in the field of health, for scientistis and for the general population. This is especially relevant in our times of informational era. Dr. Wilson is a great presenter, I would say, and I am very happy that now I am able to recognize the quality paper and interpret research. Moreover, this course is particularly useful for those who want to streghten their critial thinking skills. I would like to thank Dr. Perry Wilson for those wonderful presentations, lectures with Covid content, your interesting examples and your vibe. Each lecture was really pleasurable to watch. I have already recommended your course for my classmates and collegues. I wish more people were aware about the content you have discussed here. I wish you good luck!

By BRANCH W

Jun 28, 2020

I thought this course was very informative, well organized, and well presented. I definitely will use what I learned to help me sort through medical decisions. Your providing an explanation of the correct answers when a question was missed, both for in-lesson questions and module quizzes, was very helpful and clarified misunderstandings that I sometimes didn't even know I had. All this--and it was fun too! Just for consideration--I would have also enjoyed some supplementary readings that weren't necessarily research papers, but related to some of the issues raised in the course or ethical implications.

By Anna L

Jul 25, 2020

Amazing course - great lectures and well-designed assignments allowing you to apply and test your new knowledge in the real world. Dr Wilson is a great presenter with a kindly attitude and a great sense of humour, which makes his course very engaging, even though there are loads of information in each lecture and some rather difficult concepts. I highly recommend this course not only to people who want to learn to read medical studies, but also to anyone interested in how the studies are actually done and published (there is much more in the course than its title suggests!).

By Tamas S

Jan 15, 2021

Dear Dr METHODS MAN, you practice the mastery of education in such an entert[r]aining way!

Dear MEDICAL SCHOOLS of the world, please include this enlightening course in your curricula!

Dear FELLOW STUDENTS of this course, let's put on the research agenda to approximately quantify the improvement in global healthcare attributable the educational activities of F. Perry Wilson and other outstanding entert[r]ainers through preventing flawed research and clinical malpractice. This impact might as well compare to other, more celebrated achievements of medicine.

By Keith H

Apr 9, 2021

I enjoyed this course with Professor Wilson. Each Module well ordered and relatively easy to understand. With a good mixture of reading and visual story board understanding. Professor Wilson nails the modules perfectly, indicating and explaining Inc Research jargon and dialogue in lecture theatre atmosphere. Graphs and diagrams help explain Research language together with an intuitive series of lessons well structured and organized to allow you an excellent way of learning. Thankyou. Prof. Wilson

By Julie T

Oct 26, 2020

The concepts were all presented in very tangible and simple language, with plenty of real-life examples to further support the explanations and concepts. There was a bit of dad-humour in there to easily lighten things up, but not too much to detract from the content. I would strongly recommend this course to anyone with or without a medical background and who is interested in medical science and might be wondering how to make sense of the ever-increasing stacks of new articles and new studies.

By Marie A C P

Jun 5, 2020

I'd recommend this to anyone who's a bit afraid of numbers but really wants to make an effort in separating "chaff from the grain", and contribute to more level-headed discussion. Especially as the COVID-19 pandemic continues and we're seeing so much research coming out, we need to be more skeptic and curious. It helps if you have a little background in statistics from college days, but even if you don't or can't remember, F. Perry Wilson does a comprehensive job of presenting the concepts.

By James B

May 18, 2021

This course is a great introduction to those who want to get a basic understanding of the different types of medical studies there are and how to better interpret them. Dr Wilson and his team make the lectures easy to watch and learn from. The self-paced course gives you the time you need to learn the concepts presented and pause, "rewind", and review lectures if you need to. I would highly recommend this to anyone looking to get a better understanding of all the medical literature.

By Royce A

Jan 3, 2021

It was a enjoyable course that helped increase the way I think about medical reports. Previously if I looked to any studies that showed that they found a drug that cure cancer but in mice I used to thing it could easily perform the same function in humans. Now I look to the studies with a healthy amount of skepticism. This is just one example I'd like to give though there are many others.

All in all I am glad I took this course and I recommend anybody reading this review to take it

By Nancy B

Jun 15, 2020

This course was a gem. The information was presented in a clear fashion. The graphics were easy to understand and supported my learning. The examples were always instructive. I appreciated the humorous examples. They helped me to stay focused and to comprehend the material.

One suggestion would be to include a document with definitions of terms. That would be helpful to me to reinforce lessons and would be helpful so that I could return to that during the next lessons.

Thank you!

By Dr.S D S

Aug 30, 2021

A thoroughly enjoyable and highly informative course. Dr. Wilson has a delightful sense of humor that helped hold my interest, despite my having a minor dread of most of the content of the course (namely biostatistics). He explained very complex and confusing statistical principles in a simple, clear and understandable manner. I thank Dr. Wilson and Coursera for this wonderful content. It was very well made and will serve me well as a clinical research professional.

By Connie O

Jun 28, 2020

Interesting, entertaining, and informative. Great professor and just the right amount of information to educate on the subject without getting into the concepts we will never use in our daily lives. I'd absolutely take another course with Dr. Wilson and I'm looking forward to using my new knowledge in interpreting medical research studies and enjoying the confidence I have when discussing certain research studies with others. Thank you for a great course!

By Alison B

Dec 8, 2020

The course title intrigued me and made it feel more accessible and 'not' overwhelming. Though it was confusing at times, Dr. Wilson is good at simplifying the concepts, providing examples, and reiterating key points. I am not a part of the medical community but the skills learned in this course are certainly transferable - reading and interpreting medical studies (e.g. COVID-19 related research) and beyond. Definitely worth the time and effort.

By Farooq A R

Jun 26, 2020

An excellent and highly recommended course that will act as a primer on critical appraisal of literature and basic biostatistics. I strongly recommend this course to all health care professionals and even by general public who want to understand the real meaning of published medical studies instead of blindingly following the Newspaper headlines. The presenter was very knowledgable and was very enthusiastic in delivering the course content.

By Harj a M H

Mar 29, 2021

This course has been a gift during some tough days of otherwise covid-induced lifestyle limitations! It is challenging and very practical. It's been especially satisfying for me as I have recently retired from 45 years of nursing and have been missing a learning environment. Huge thanks to Dr Wilson for his engaging teaching style, rich with many examples and studies. Thankyou also to his team. I would highly recommend this course!!

By Mars F

Jun 14, 2020

Very worthwhile course - not always easy to understand but worth your time and effort if you want to have a better understanding of medical studies. In this particular time when we are in the midst of a Pandemic it certainly doesn't hurt to be able to do your own due diligent in reading medical studies, Particularly as they pertain to the contra virus as well as any other medical subject matter you may be interested in reading.

By Nguyen Q B

Aug 16, 2020

This course has really walked me through many important concepts systematically! Although I already have some basic statistic knowledge at the beginning, Dr. Perry Wilson has explained scientific terms in a very understandable, but more simple, way, which I found it's extremely interesting to go to the end of this course. I hope that you and your team will work on deeper courses for this series in the future!

Grazie!

By Steve Q

Dec 14, 2020

This course taught me how important it was to get out of my comfort zone. I can just imagine how this might be an upper level under graduate course or even a gradute course. I'll keep reviewing these lessons and perhaps engage in the group chats, though I do not have a science background and some of that dialogues seems out of reach. That said, I'm following Dr. Wilson on Twitter where more lessons exists.

By Carolina S

Aug 27, 2021

It is the perfect course to start in the reading and critical analysis of scientific publications. The information is complete and perfectly organized. It can be followed perfectly even if you have no previous knowledge. The teacher is fun and the lessons are very enjoyable. The complementary information and the tests are very adequate and help to fix the terms learned in each lesson. 100% recommended.

By Anthony B

Extremely well presented Module, that will help you to better interpret statistics, and concepts used in Medical Research. I real team effort, has been put into researching, and developing this Module by both the presenter, and his unsung hero colleagues. Well done! I am applying these concepts in my own work as an NHS Medway Trust Data Analyst/Programme Manager, and Teacher of Mathematics, etc.

By FRANCESCO A F

Amazing course!! Prof. Perry Wilson, got me interested since the very first lecture, and led me to the end of the course in no time! I recommend taking the course, especially if you are a Med-School student, because it will make your life that easier! I would also like to point out for any non-english student that nothing in the course is too complicated to understand, so it's a win-win!

By Connie D

Jan 11, 2021

Very helpful refresher, fun class, even the dad jokes. Would have even liked it to go one a bit longer, or perhaps a few more snap shots of actual clinical trials and application in the lectures, to learn better referencing of them when reading them. Perhaps compared with the easy to fun story examples you gave to better understand how the lecture examples pair with a real trial.

By Sean C

Nov 18, 2020

This was a great course. The instruction (and his energy and enthusiasm) were fantastic, and the material was covered well for the target audience. This course has helped me, as a layman, better understand the mass of medical studies out there.

My only suggestion would be to take a close look at the wording of some of the quiz questions. The answers often felt ambiguous to me.

By Tino

Jun 3, 2020

First of all I would like to thank Dr. Perry Wilson who has done an awesome job presenting that topic with such a great structure and passion. Secondly, I would like to thank Coursera for having free access to this module. Overall, I have learned quite a lot of things and gained a much better understanding in detail as well as in total of medical research. All the best!