Back to Understanding Medical Research: Your Facebook Friend is Wrong

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Medical Research: Your Facebook Friend is Wrong by Yale University

How can you tell if the bold headlines seen on social media are truly touting the next big thing or if the article isn't worth the paper it's printed on? Understanding Medical Studies, will provide you with the tools and skills you need to critically interpret medical studies, and determine for yourself the difference between good and bad science. The course covers study-design, research methods, and statistical interpretation. It also delves into the dark side of medical research by covering fraud, biases, and common misinterpretations of data. Each lesson will highlight case-studies from real-world journal articles. By the end of this course, you'll have the tools you need to determine the trustworthiness of the scientific information you're reading and, of course, whether or not your Facebook friend is wrong. This course was made possible in part by the George M. O'Brien Kidney Center at Yale....

JM
Aug 1, 2020

Excellent course for physical therapists wanting to learn how to critically review the research literature. For those of us who completed physical therapy school > 15 years ago, this course is a must!

JA
Jul 24, 2020

This is a great course that helps you interpret the correct way to read clinical studies. It's something I'll use, especially when and if I am asked to take a medication that has serious side effects.

426 - 450 of 461 Reviews for Understanding Medical Research: Your Facebook Friend is Wrong

By nihar n

Sep 1, 2020

Tancks

By Alfiya. N

Oct 7, 2020

Good

By Mona A A

GOOD

By Emayamsavitha

Apr 29, 2020

Aug 31, 2020

n

By Blue W G

Jan 17, 2021

It was a very interesting and insightful course but it was also quite a bit difficult,(for me). Being it wasn't for your novice run-of-the-mill casual course taker. The course involve quite a bit of focus.

I really did appreciate the questions that popped up while going through a lesson. These questions made sure that you were actually paying attention and not in the kitchen making a cup of coffee, good thinking professor.

The end of the module quizzes were hard to pass because they were so few questions. I had to continuously take 3 of them over and over. In the end the point was drilled home, whatever I didn't know, I knew and I knew, I knew

By Julia W

Apr 24, 2021

Overall, this was a good course. I liked the way the information was presented. However, I think the professor laughing all the time, especially inappropriately when talking about death, is quite a distraction. The example on hitting your head with a hammer was also not of good taste. The information presented was very helpful overall, but it does tend to make one more cynical, especially the unit on bias. I almost stopped the course. I think there needs to be some balance on bias as that can occur in all studies. This unit made me feel cynical rather than just skeptical. I also felt he was 'reaching' for biases.

By Beatriz A R

Sep 8, 2020

Hola . Soy músico y me siento muy feliz de culminar este curso. me costó bastante. quiero expresar mi admiración por los médicos y todas las personas que trabajan en la salud de los seres humanos. Es algo muy difícil. Dios los bendiga grandemente. Mi admiración absoluta al Dr.F. Perry Wilson. Dios lo bendiga . Se puede mejorar la traducción al español por favor. Gracias a Coursera y a la universidad.

By Basel A

Jun 17, 2020

I really enjoyed this course with the handsome presenter. It was chock-full of valuable concepts in understanding and analysing medical studies. I learned to be professionally sceptical about even renown journal papers. Bias is almost inescapable, replication is the cure for that. Adjustment is needed to reduce the pain of confounders, random trials are the best to eliminate them though.

By SANAE M

May 9, 2020

I really enjoyed watching the lectures. The Professor made them fun and easy to understand. The only problem I faced is the lack of resources; whenever I needed to review a certain concept, I had to see the whole corresponding lecture from the beginning. I just wish there were a document that sums up all the ideas or links to useful free material on the internet.

By Made A A

Everything is very well explained. Some lack of various example meaning that the example provided was the exact definition of the terms which may be not what it seem in a real study. Otherwise, everything is good, there are a variety of visuals, changing scenes, relatively short video per session (match my attention time-span).

By MD.RAKIBUL H R

May 9, 2020

At the middle of course, it was quite difficult for me to understand all those jargons. It would really be helpful if you could focus more on discussion than introducing those jargons. But I must say that it was really informative and helpful. I am looking forward to have more of these types of courses. Thank you so much.

By Sharon L

Mar 19, 2021

The presenter was excellent - real world examples and sense of fun, easy to understand explanations. The content was perfect for what I was looking for - particularly liked the session on how to do an effective search in PubMed - so helpful! The scoring in the end of module assessments drove me bananas.

By Michael E S

Much good information on observational studies. Thin on RCTs and amount of distortion of results in observational studies compared to RCTS. No information on the amount of distortion of results with various biases in RCTS.

By Amanpreet K

It was well explained course but I feel sometimes the class was too long. I learnt a lot and enjoyed the funny examples given by the course provider.

By Hasib R

May 12, 2020

Relating medical science with statistics. The course was awfully designed and each course materials are selected well enough for beginners.