Back to De-Mystifying Mindfulness

Learner Reviews & Feedback for De-Mystifying Mindfulness by Universiteit Leiden

Interest in meditation, mindfulness, and contemplation has grown exponentially in recent years. Rather than being seen as mystical practices from ancient Buddhism or esoteric philosophy, they are increasingly seen as technologies rooted in evidence from psychology and neuroscience. Mindfulness has become the basis for numerous therapeutic interventions, both as a treatment in healthcare and as a means of enhancing well-being and happiness. For millions around the world, mindfulness has become a life-style choice, enhancing and enriching everyday experience. Mindfulness is big business. But, what actually is mindfulness? Is it really good for you? Can anyone learn it? How can you recognize charlatans? Would you want to live in a mindful society, and would it smell like sandalwood? What does it feel like to be mindful? Are you mindful already, and how would you know? Evolving from the popular Honours Academy course at Leiden University, this innovative course combines conventional scholarly inquiry from multiple disciplines (ranging from psychology, through philosophy, to politics) with experiential learning (including specially designed ‘meditation labs,’ in which you’ll get chance to practice and analyze mindfulness on yourself). In the end, the course aims to provide a responsible, comprehensive, and inclusive education about (and in) mindfulness as a contemporary phenomenon. During the production of this course, we have been supported by Willem Kuyken, Director of the University of Oxford Mindfulness Centre, and Stephen Batchelor, co-founder of Bodhi College. And we gratefully acknowledge the contributions made by Mark Williams, co-developer of Mindfulness-based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT), and Rebecca Crane, Director of the Centre for Mindfulness Research and Practice at the University of Bangor. "The course enabled me to explore the mindfulness construct at its deeper lever from philosophical, psychological and political lenses. The mindfulness labs were very useful in practicing the skills of being mindful." 23 nov 2018 "i took this course after a period of time when I was trying to practice mindfulness and meditation, but with doubtful success. The course answered many questions to me, and I needed that to keep me motivated. It really helped me understand the origins and, more importantly, benefits of mindfulness practice and made me persist in my attempts. I'm really glad I took the course, I find it interesting, well taught and very useful for all those seeking deeper explanation in why trying mindfulness." 9 Oct 2018 "I have taken other courses in other online platforms. However, this has been one of the best courses I have found online." 3 Oct 2018 "I really like the invitation to us, the learners, to rethink our preconceptions and beliefs, and then make our own judgement about mindfulness. The overall tone was very friendly and open, resources very useful." 12 Dec 2017...

SM
Jul 20, 2020

A course that will open your mind and heart. I thoroughly enjoyed it and learnt so much about Mindfulness and how I want to incorporate it into my daily life, relationships and personality. Thank you!

AV
Feb 2, 2020

It is such a useful and practical course. The contents, discussions, assignments and quizzes are extremely insightful. I truly enjoyed the course and awaiting a second phase of the course in future.

51 - 75 of 519 Reviews for De-Mystifying Mindfulness

By Romulo v

This is the most comprehensive, scholar, complete, and sensitive treatment of the topic of mindfulness you will be able to find in one single place online. Dr. Jones is an scholar and a practitioner who embodies his passion for the topic while remaining curious enough to excite us about the possibilities of the journey into becoming more mindful. Whether you are a practicing meditator or someone who is simply curious about the topic, there is something for you in this course!

By Anna K

Oct 1, 2020

You take as much out of this course as much as you put in. It has helped me tremendously with my current struggles in life, improve my concentration and ability to pay attention to the work I do and the world around me. I like that the course is based on science and addresses misconceptions people may have about mindfulness and what it is and what it is not. Highly recommend this course to anyone who is in search of self-help or just curious about the self and self-growth.

By Jill B

Nov 3, 2020

I highly valued this course, for the overview and information about the history of mindfulness, how it evolved and differentiated through different cultures, up to and including psychology uses. I especially appreciated the meditation labs and the different mindfulness exercises, prompting me to engage in and continue a meditation practice. As a result, I am a bit more mindful in my daily life, and am better able to fall asleep at night, with less mind chatter going on.

By Olga F

May 31, 2019

The most interesting course I have ever taken. It's combing philosophical, scientific and theoretical knowledge. It makes you think critically and to create your own opinion about what is mindfulness for you. We explored the background and roots of mindfulness with modern knowledge and scientific studies that can be applied in modern life. I would say that the last 6 weeks I spent with great pleasure and I'm sure I'll continue to practice mindfulness in my life.

By Melissa B

May 26, 2017

Professor Goto-Jones is an excellent teacher. I have a more in-depth understanding of what Mindfulness is and this course definitely covered all sides of the subject. I appreciate the professor's sense of compassion through his lecture videos and his calming attitude in giving me options on how to be kinder and gentler with myself. I really loved this class. I would like to see similar classes taught by Dr. Goto-Jones. Thank you for this opportunity to learn.

By Anuranjan S

Jun 8, 2020

An amazing course. I learned a lot and much beyond what I expected I would. I am so glad that I decided to enroll in this course. In a way, Sad as it may sound, stay at home due to COVID-19 allowed extra free time and this course helped me put to best use those extra hours for weeks. Whatever happens, happens for the best and nothing better than that can happen. Wishing everyone safety, peace, and ease of being. Thank you for an awesome course Chris.

By Adalis F

Aug 15, 2018

One of my best cours ever, because I'm just starting to know and practice Mndfulness, it has been a gift to find this course, I recomended stronlly to anyone to star and practice Mindfulness.

Thanks so much to https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en Universiteit Leiden , Congratulations to our Prof.Chris Goto-Jones , It was a real pleasure to follow your course and all the aknoledge I have about Mindfulness thanks to you and your team.

By Georgianna A

amazing course. those 5 weeks are really transformative. I liked the combination of theory and practice and learned a LOT. Make sure you don't push this course somewhere between your daily routine, as the more time you give to it, the more knowledge and wisdom it will give you in return. a comment about the time duration spent for each task: i found that they included much more time than noted, especially for a non-english speaker.

By Nancy L

Jul 8, 2017

This was an excellent overview course , with superlative guest speakers addressing specific questions. The practice exercises (Meditation Labs) were very, very helpful. I would recommend this course to anyone who is curious about mindfulness meditation, and anyone who had a practice in the past, which may have lapsed for any reason. This course will be an excellent way to be supported in reestablishing your practice.

By Eszter H

Feb 19, 2021

Big and enriching adventure in my life, which will stay with me as a form of daily mindfulness practises. It was a real flow in my mind because English is not my mother tongue and the language of the course was academical and beautiful. The content was up to date, at a high level and diversified. Chris Goto-Jones represents the topic of Mindfulness with every fiber of his being. Thank you very much for this course.

By Priti S

Dec 14, 2020

I cam to this when it was offered for the first time but owing to various reasons couldn't complete it. as I advance in years there is a feeling of not being at ease in mind and the need to be grounded. The need is to have a place where one can be true to oneself and a sanctuary where we can come back.

This course set me on that path where I focus on breath and send kind thoughts to myself.

By Rajendran V

Aug 9, 2019

I am glad that I joined for this course. I have broadened my knowledge about mindfulness and has a much better idea of the same. I really enjoyed doing this course. Even though I have completed the course, I will continue to practice.Congratulations to the team for putting together such a course and offering it for free. This way, the great benefits of mindfulness can be enjoyed by many.

By Ester R U

Feb 3, 2018

Really nice. The teacher is very good at explaining, the exercises and extra material is very good, both didactic and practical. The course explains very well the different approaches to mindfulness and it guides you to find you own view and experience as the most important thing. I recommend it even to experienced practitioners as me too, I recommend to go into it with a beginner mind!

By john l

Oct 22, 2017

I enjoyed the multiple forms of perceptions of practitioners of mindfulness represented by the cartoon figures of Hippie, Monk, Zombie and Ninja. I also enjoyed the broad discussions and the effects of the practice that have been validated by scientic studies. I like it so much that I would have no hesitation to be a mentor in this class to help attendees in learning mindfulness.

By Gabriela G

Nov 17, 2017

This course was a very smart and wonderful experience! I am so grateful! (I have stopped drinking coffee after finishing it, it was not something I ever wanted or thought of, it was absolutely after the course being able to listen to my body and my mind and know that coffee it was not something my mind needed! thank you so much! and congratulations to the creator of the course.

By Yola L

Sep 27, 2017

It was what I expected and more. I find it wasn't so easy to do, but I learned a lot and glad I did it. Bought the Virtual Ninja Manifesto: Fighting Games, Material Arts and Gamic Orientalism. I'm always defending gaming towards people who think it's the devil and now I'm very curious what Chris write about it.

BTW. I'm a gamer off course :-)

Thanks for this fantastic course.

By Marc C M

May 3, 2017

Curso altamente recomendable para quien quiera aproximarse al fenómeno Mindfulness desde una perspectiva científica. El módulo combina de una manera muy acertada teoría y práctica personal, un ejemplo de cómo abordar esta práctica basada en la experiencia subjetiva. Además el profesor se comunica muy bien, de manera que no se hace nada aburrido. Me gustaría leer sus libros.

By Krzysztof A

Oct 3, 2017

This course is great, it really explains a lot about mindfulness and if you want to try meditation and mindfulness, the meditation guidance included in this course opens a completely new and wonderful world for you. Starting this course was one of the things I did to reduce the level of stress I felt at the time. I can say it worked for me, maybe it will also work for you?

By Cecilia C

Feb 23, 2017

I really enjoyed the course, even though I was familiar with Mindfulness. The critical focus given to Mindfulness Meditation opened new perspectives which I found enriching and very interesting.

It has given me more incentives to continue using the material of the course in my Mindfulness path.

I found the instructor was very clear and gave the course a very personal touch.

By Iris T

Feb 23, 2021

Thank you for the opportunity to learn abut the many aspects of Mindfulness. It opens up the new perspectives and cleared some of my previous perceptions. What I like the course are the good balances on lectues, the Mindfulness Lab and the interviews on the experienced teachers. I just cannot thank more for Dr Chris Go-to Jones for spreading good knowledge. Grateful.

By Otto S

Oct 25, 2016

The course is clear, to the point and open to bring in your own thoughts. You are supposed to be an active member, answering questions and reacting to others. You can follow the course without that, but it is very rewarding to read what the exercises mean to others. You go through a lot of material in a few weeks - it need not take very much time, but it means a lot.

By Kriti K

Oct 13, 2017

It is a wonderful course of choice for people who are interested in mindfulness and/or meditation and those who have experimented with it or are interested in experimenting with it. The inclusion of The Meditation Labs is extremely helpful and the sincerity and expertise of the course instructors is reflected in the way the modules have been designed and presented.

By Shel D

Jun 27, 2020

This course has been amazing. I have been trying to understand more about mindfulness and how it can improve the way I live my life. This course helped me understand the history, philosophy, and practice of mindfulness. It has set me on a new leg of my journal, and I can't wait to explore some of these topics in more details. Totally recommend this course.

By Rebecca T V

Oct 9, 2017

Great course, well structured and all information was clear and well explained. really feel I achieved a lot in personal development. I will continue to educate myself more in the field of mindfulness and looking forward to do so. Massive thanks to the instructors and in specific to Chris Goto-Jones for their patients and efforts in putting this course tog

By Shailesh M

Jul 21, 2020

A thoroughly interesting and practical course , I have learnt a lot about a subject I previously knew very little about, the course leader Professor Chris Goto-Jones made the course very interesting and easy to understand. I would recommend this course to friends and colleagues without hesitation. Many thanks for the opportunity and experience.