Back to Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential by McMaster University

Mindshift is designed to help boost your career and life in today’s fast-paced learning environment. Whatever your age or stage, Mindshift teaches you essentials such as how to get the most out of online learning and MOOCs, how to seek out and work with mentors, the secrets to avoiding career ruts (and catastrophes) and general ruts in life, and insights such as the value of selective ignorance over general competence. We’ll provide practical insights from science about how to learn and change effectively even in maturity, and we’ll build on what you already know to take your life’s learning in fantastic new directions. This course is designed to show you how to look at what you’re learning, and your place in what’s unfolding in the society around you, so you can be what you want to be, given the real world constraints that life puts on us all. You’ll see that by using certain mental tools and insights, you can learn and do more—far more—than you might have ever dreamed! This course can be taken independent of, concurrent with, or subsequent to, its companion course, Learning How to Learn. (Mindshift is more career focused, and Learning How to Learn is more learning focused.)...

TM

Feb 12, 2018

I really enjoyed the first course, Learn 2Learn. The female professor is great but the boring old guy should have been kicked out of the course, as he do not provide anything of value for the course.

SN

Jan 18, 2018

Thank you Barbara. It was really enjoyable trip with you in this course. I have found many new learning techniques. Your positive behavior was very encouraging for me to begin a new list of my life!

251 - 275 of 985 Reviews for Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential

By Sandra G

Oct 18, 2017

This was my first MOOC ever. It was more interesting and helpful than I expected it to be. It helped get me out of my rut, and certainly encourages me to take more MOOCs.

By Susan M M

Jul 27, 2017

This is one of the best courses I have taken at Coursera. I would recommend this for anyone considering higher education in any area. The content is relevant, useful, and creative - I love out of the box views. The presentation is lively and makes learning easy and fun. Bravo... I will take any course taught by Barbara Oakley - even engineering (I have an MA in Psychology). I have taken the course on Learning and have read all the published works of Oakley that were at my library at the time. (Mindshift had not yet been published.) I found a good deal of the content being relatable to resilience and grit and positive psychology. I bought the book, Mindshift, and i am deep in reading now. I feel blessed that this material and this thinker is available online. Thank you Coursera.

By Gisele

Aug 22, 2017

Excellent Course, very fun ;) loved it and highly recommend it ;)

By Erik M

May 09, 2017

I love this MOOC! It helped to open my mind to new possibilities and helped me to understand there is so much more I can do. Barbara Oakley inspired me to broaden my passions and make it a perpetual goal to become a lifelong learner.

By Pham D H

May 06, 2017

Strongly recommended for your joy of learning in digital age!

By Karl B

Feb 01, 2018

Mindshift had a lot of useful information and was quite fun. Even more so the course took on a mentor role which was completely unexpected. It re-framed a number of personal issues I was seeing as obstacles and flaws as things to work with that also had beneficial qualities. It corrected a number of misconceptions I had that turned around and supercharged my curiosity. I loved Learning How to Learn and was eager to take Mindshift. It surpassed my expectations and changed my perspectives in a very positive way.

By Carlos R G B

Dec 06, 2017

Excellent course.

By Tim C

Jun 05, 2017

a wonderfully carried out MOOC, but I suggest one little improvement: could we have the script of the videos available to us? just like the learning how to learning MOOC?

By Radim

May 14, 2017

Perfect

By Omair

May 14, 2017

First week done and it's amazing, just like the first one, Learning how to learn.

By Thomas S

May 19, 2017

Very inspiring and motivating MOOC by Barbara Oakley and Terrence Sejnowski. They provide clean lessons in a structured and appealing way. I liked the quizzes, the integration of entries (essays) to the discussion forum. I learned a lot while having fun with this extraordinary course. Finally I want to mention the natural, but fundamental way both Barbara and Terrence teach the course.

By Jorge A D F G

Jul 09, 2017

Nuevamente un gran curso sobre el aprendizaje del equipo de Barbara Oakley

Muy recomendable

By Ornella D

Feb 19, 2018

Really enjoyable course with great teachers and concepts that are very useful to apply in real life.

By Elvin M

May 06, 2017

A+

By Viacheslav P

May 11, 2017

Amazing course! Great material, very nice teachers, lots of useful and inspiring ideas for learning.

By Tom G

Sep 29, 2017

Taking this course has taught me that it's possible to learn something outside my comfort zone. I teach music to kids and I've been thinking about other things I can do for a job, long term. After learning that the things that are tough for us are learned best, I decided to take high school algebra and geometry again, this time online. I'm doing pretty well and now I've added a course in learning how to program in Python. I wouldn't have considered taking the leap into learning math and technology without Barb's example! Further, the people she showcases in the book Mindshift are great examples of how one needn't passively accept the scripts given us. We can blaze new trails.

By Qin H

Jun 18, 2017

Amazing course!

By Manos T

Oct 11, 2017

Great stuff

By Pernille O F

May 05, 2018

This is a course which will enrich you thinking and the way you approach future learning. It will show you why and how you keep your mind, your knowledge and your learning fresh, bendable and thriving.

The knowledge of learning, of altering your mindset and especially of the connection to the functions of the brain are all of importance for the quality of your life now and in the future.

Enjoy the many layers of this course. Enjoy every corner of the learning. And know you did not see all the corners - there is still much, much more to learn.

By Nuno A

Aug 28, 2017

very life inspiring course.

By Alexey A

Sep 24, 2017

Good course if you thinking about changing your professional career, facing some troubles at study and even just like to acquire new skills and knowledge

By Cigdem E

Aug 18, 2017

It was terrific! I recommend it to anyone at any age and stage of their lifes.

By Albert K

Mar 13, 2018

Mindshift is a great course. The great benefit is that complex knowledge on brain and learning is outstandingly explained in a way that is simple and intelligible. It helped me a lot to find out more about and foster my own learning. The course is like a greenhouse where dialogue and development are cultivated so w

By radz

May 17, 2017

Awesome course n great instructors. Loved the course. Looking forward to more courses with both of them soon.

By Argenis Á

May 31, 2018

Awesome course it helps you to understand your brain how it works and how to approach studies habits also something that I loved and is really useful for me 1- How to take advantage of Procrastination 2- If you are or feel a slow learner that is not bad at all. So I encourage you to do this course and don't stop learning