Back to Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential by McMaster University

Mindshift is designed to help boost your career and life in today’s fast-paced learning environment. Whatever your age or stage, Mindshift teaches you essentials such as how to get the most out of online learning and MOOCs, how to seek out and work with mentors, the secrets to avoiding career ruts (and catastrophes) and general ruts in life, and insights such as the value of selective ignorance over general competence. We’ll provide practical insights from science about how to learn and change effectively even in maturity, and we’ll build on what you already know to take your life’s learning in fantastic new directions. This course is designed to show you how to look at what you’re learning, and your place in what’s unfolding in the society around you, so you can be what you want to be, given the real world constraints that life puts on us all. You’ll see that by using certain mental tools and insights, you can learn and do more—far more—than you might have ever dreamed! This course can be taken independent of, concurrent with, or subsequent to, its companion course, Learning How to Learn. (Mindshift is more career focused, and Learning How to Learn is more learning focused.)...

TM

Feb 12, 2018

I really enjoyed the first course, Learn 2Learn. The female professor is great but the boring old guy should have been kicked out of the course, as he do not provide anything of value for the course.

SN

Jan 18, 2018

Thank you Barbara. It was really enjoyable trip with you in this course. I have found many new learning techniques. Your positive behavior was very encouraging for me to begin a new list of my life!

101 - 125 of 1,093 Reviews for Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential

By Stephen G

Jun 05, 2017

Another well presented MOOC by Barb. It exposes and breaks down learning difficulties that are personal, common and not generally given definitive answers and simplifies responses that capture complex concepts.

If you are looking to take on a MOOC on a foreign subject or subject that you are not that passionate about (yet), this would be a good MOOC to take first.

By Anel A

May 01, 2017

Barbara and her team are amazing. I can relate so much to many examples given in this course from how we can feel when learning something new to how we can refrain a stressful feeling to keep going with a positive learning experience. I highly recommend this course to gain confidence in our abilities and keep our brains fresh to learn how to learn new skills.

By Nikhil N P

Aug 24, 2019

This course and its predecessor (LHTL) teaches one, invaluable techniques to improve learning and remember for a longer duration and be more creative. These techniques can be implemented in our daily lives very easily and makes us more confident and helps us to overcome our fears and sense of inadequacy due to poor memory retention or poor learning technique.

By Gabriel T

Dec 18, 2017

It's been a remarkable gain to find out I was already using some of the concepts presented here for a long time without knowing, and of course to discover some of the new, complementary once. I find this course to be very effective on your thinking behavior , especially if it is done in completion to their related MOOC : Learning How to Learn. Good Job guys.

By Adilvane

Sep 20, 2017

This class was fantastic for my kids and me. Some of the videos I had to call my daughter (7th grade) to watch and take notes on how to better knowledge received in class and online. I also had the opportunity to take some of the tips to my nephew, he is a senior high school and doing some online classes, and some of the tips from Barbara were just amazing.

By Aimee R

Apr 05, 2020

Great information! The material in this course is fairly easy to digest, but you really have to think about where you are in your life and your own situation to get the most from the lessons. I really enjoyed the more-scientific lectures about the functions of the brain and how to maximize your memory. This definitely gave me a new perspective on learning!

By Sripooja M

Feb 20, 2019

Learning how to learn has a great impact on the way I think, I did not want the course to end. When I saw that Mindshift is an add on to LHTL I was very happy as wanted to learn and understand more. LHTL, Mindshift are two great courses! I enjoyed learning lot of intriguing stuff. Thanks to the content makers for providing such well curated content :)

By Lisardo P G

May 07, 2017

Another outstanding MOOC by Dr. Barbara Oakley and Dr. Terrence Sejnowski. Very instructive, motivating and inspirational. The course is mainly composed by catchy videos that are succinct, really funny, and in most cases, helpful and revealing. The tasks to be done are easy and they do not take too much time to be completed.

Definitely recommended.

By Fiona R

Oct 30, 2017

This course is really appropriate for all levels of learners. I feel it helps to have some business experience to appreciate the context Barb provides around changing careers, but it would certainly be excellent exposure for those early or later in their careers as well. Superb organization and execution. Not a minute wasted. Highly recommend.

By Felicia V

Jul 30, 2017

A suitable MOOC for everyone served in bite size pieces. All the materials are taught in a metaphor and sometimes pictures, which makes it easier to grasp. Definitely one of the best MOOCs of all time and I don't regret any second from learning this. I never thought 4 weeks of taking this course would broaden my perspectives on how to see things.

By Niklas K

Mar 22, 2020

After "Learning how to learn" it was impossible to have a better MOOC in the same field. It is a great course - especially for people who are not learning right now or who wants to improve his/her learning style/skills.

And obviously Barb and Terry are awesome. Watch 30 sec of the first video and you will fall in love with their teaching style.

By Luann T

Apr 02, 2019

I feel much more confident in my ability to become a better learner, better student, and better person overall, and that is pretty amazing. It will take practice to put these new tools into effect, but I have several MOOCs I'm planning to sign up for that will give me plenty of practice time toward perfection. I highly recommend this course.

By Thales P

Oct 28, 2017

Very good course. The course is very well presented, engaged and memorable content that I expect it will serve me well my future career and MOOC learning. The techniques applied by presenters are very good and help keep attention on the course.

It's certainly a motivation for taking more MOOC's and pursuing a path for continual improvement.

By Vivekanandan S

Feb 17, 2019

I really feel good and having more broad mind.It introduced life long lessons and the many other things for my career.It also helped me to Broaden my passion , think about "What is the Mission" , as the mam Rightly resembles the true meaning fro resilient and courage for practicing MIND-SHIFT .Thank you and all the best for your journey .

By Zai E

Jul 09, 2017

I got so many ideas from this course. Also I developed a better understand on learning and how our minds work. I had already taken Learning How to Learn and this was a wonderful follow up course. I highly recommend this course to people who want to learn something new, want to make a shift in their career, and to teachers/future teachers.

By Kalpesh G

Mar 31, 2020

It is a good course which provides us with the tools and the resources which can aid us while we are planning for a Mindshift i.e some change in thought, or way of doing things or work field.

I would like to thanks Miss Barb Oakley, Mr Terry Sejnowski and the entire Mideshift team to come up with such a unique idea to share to the world.

By Sergey K

Apr 08, 2018

At first sight, course may look simple. The teachers have simple and funny manner explaining the material. Although, behind the curtains of simplicity there are deep topics presented related to learning and finding your own way in current age of information. Everything comes with Barb's personal touch. Thank you. I found it very useful!

By Samiur R

May 25, 2017

This course is very well designed. The instructors are skilled. This course will help anyone who is willing to learn. By doing this course both professionals as well as students can get the help necessary to be successful in their respective field. I enjoyed this course and recommend everyone to do it before doing any other MOOC course.

By jonah r

Mar 05, 2020

amazing course, interesting, thorough, has great little quizzes that help you understand the key points of the study. in this course there is more than meets the eye, because learning how to change your mindset isn't something you'll hear about till you're 35 or so. so if you've come across this course, give it a try. it's worth it

By George P

Mar 29, 2019

Great follow-up to the Learning How to Learn course. I thought the LHTL course provided more nuts and bolts regarding how to develop skills/practices to learn more effectively, while this course focused more on navigating external challenges to learning and making the best of available learning resources, especially online courses.

By MIGUEL Á R M

Jun 07, 2017

This is the second MOOC I make. The first was "Learning How to learn". Like the previous one, this one seemed excellent too, and I already feel that the teachers and I are friends, of course, I reiterate that they are highly professional and made the course interesting and very enjoyable. My congratulations from Caracas-Venezuela.

By Jaroslava R

May 26, 2017

Wonderfully inspiring, I would recommend to anyone, who is such poor learner and I am and even a lot better, because there is always new thing to study :) A lot of helpfull informations, thought the last part about changing into information age was a bit scarry, but with more MOOC´s like this we are going to handle it in no time.

By Vitor F L

Sep 24, 2017

Barbara Oaklay did it again: a great MOOC course. Wasy to follow course structure, thoughtfully designed quizzes, tests, and projects, friendly, upbeat instructors, metaphor, analogy and humor -- all of this you will have in this course to help you discover that besides following your passions you need to broaden your passions.

By Maria A D E

May 31, 2017

Este curso es perfecto para los que usamos excusas para no aprender, te abre los ojos e impulsa a mejorarte a la vez que te provee con herramientas para seguir aprendiendo.

Además, todos los consejos y estrategias tienen un respaldo científico lo cual incrementa las razones por las cuales mejorarte!

Sin excusas, Happy mindshift.

By amy_ann

Sep 12, 2017

This is such a great course! The professor Barb Oakley herself is so motivating and positive that actually it's good to listen to her. She's really funny! I wish I would have professors like her at my school! This is a useful course for everyone who needs a bit of motivation and who feels stressed because of work, studies etc.