Back to Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential by McMaster University

Mindshift is designed to help boost your career and life in today’s fast-paced learning environment. Whatever your age or stage, Mindshift teaches you essentials such as how to get the most out of online learning and MOOCs, how to seek out and work with mentors, the secrets to avoiding career ruts (and catastrophes) and general ruts in life, and insights such as the value of selective ignorance over general competence. We’ll provide practical insights from science about how to learn and change effectively even in maturity, and we’ll build on what you already know to take your life’s learning in fantastic new directions. This course is designed to show you how to look at what you’re learning, and your place in what’s unfolding in the society around you, so you can be what you want to be, given the real world constraints that life puts on us all. You’ll see that by using certain mental tools and insights, you can learn and do more—far more—than you might have ever dreamed! This course can be taken independent of, concurrent with, or subsequent to, its companion course, Learning How to Learn. (Mindshift is more career focused, and Learning How to Learn is more learning focused.)...

EC
Aug 26, 2020

I enjoyed this course very much. I am 64-years-old and this course taught me that you can learn anything new no matter what age you are. I am now broadening my passions and learning is a lot more fun.

SM
Jun 21, 2020

I enjoyed this MOOC. It is very well-done and clearly covers the topics of mindshifting along with career advancement. Also--good illustrations and visuals/sounds which assist in the learning process.

101 - 125 of 3,065 Reviews for Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential

By Dominique W

Jan 14, 2020

I took this course because I was very impressed with "Learning How to Learn." There is very valuable information in this course relating to life long learning, careers, mental tricks and the course touches on some neurology and how we technically learn. I did find that there was some small inconsistency and randomness though. Such as how to create a successful Massive Open Online Course which I felt was slightly irrelevant to the course as a whole.

I still do recommend this because there is valuable insight and I plan on reading the book this course was based off of.

By Amio R

Dec 1, 2017

This is the first MOOC I have ever completed. I did not take the instructors' previous course Learning How To Learn and still this course was very helpful. I did not expect this course to be enjoyable. The scripts were very well written. The delivery of the instructors specially Barbara Oakley was top notch. I finished the course in less than a week. I must say this course has made a great impact on my mindset. I had enrolled into many MOOCs in the past but never completed one. It has made me eager to join and finish other MOOCs. I also wish to retake this course later.

By David G

Apr 18, 2020

Very good course with nice hints for your future. It will help you have a better approach dealing with failures and help you learn better through multiples examples. Moreover, this course shows us as well why things that may be ours weaknesses or sound useless, may actually be our strength and that nothing is useless at the end of the day. Finally it shows us about the importance of passion and to broaden our passion and the environment evolve. AND LOTS OF OTHER THINGS :) The professors are knowledgeable and funny and the course is very interesting and well structured.

By Prabhjot K

May 9, 2020

It is an extremely wonderful course. Must have for everyone if they want to become successful not in their career but also in their lives. This can change the way you learn and look at things. If you are planning for career enhancement, career change or career switch then this MOOC must be the first step. I totally changed myself not only in how I look at things but also witnessed the change in the way I was thinking before. I would like to thank Dr. Barbara Oakley for creating such a wonderful course. All the best for everyone. Happy Learning and Happy. Mindshift.

By Ankit k P

Jun 12, 2020

I have started feeling positive about myself and am aware of handling stressful situation by marking labels on to them and moving my emotional thinking to a more rational type and thereby getting rid of them a bit easily than before. Applied tricks and tips given by Mrs. Barabara Oakley and Dr. Terence Sejowski into daily life about deep learning. reframed my thoughts into rational ones and tried to get hold of a better lucrative side skill that is going to give me returns. Thankindg Barbara nad Ternce from the bottom of my heart to bring this MOOC available to us.

By Jamelah M

Jun 8, 2017

I love how friendly Dr. Oakley appears to be. She is always so excited about the material, it automatically makes me more interested in what she has to say. I think sharing her background and struggles made her down-to-earth and made me feel like if she can do it I can do it too. Many professors act as if they are high and mighty and that you could never be as intelligent as they are. Dr. Oakley showed me through her personal story and her teaching material that if I use the tips and techniques I've learned through both of her courses I can truly learn ANYTHING!!!

By Gursaajan S

Apr 17, 2020

This was the first MOOC learning experience and it turned out to be best MOOC .The Instructor Barbara was fantastic with her work .The perfect timing where she added humor and metaphor were almost relatable .The course overall is something that's a bliss to mind and very good learning experience apart from majors.It indeed helped me to reframe my thoughts and be and get the positive side of myself .The career advice is the golden gem of this course which makes you understand of passion and working world needs a brilliant m ind to work.Overall The best experience

By Sanjay S

Dec 30, 2020

Brilliant !

(I'm no more ashamed)

It brought me face-to-face with those hard questions that I've been struggling with for over a long period of time. I now have a strategy in place and to give due respect to this course, I have already done a Fast-Moocing on this course, before writing this review, as part of my Active Learning and practicing to make sure it's key learning get down deeper in me.

And since I'm a slow learner (now no more ashamed), I'll go through this one more time with final notes to being this learning strategy in my other MOOCs. Happy Learning !

By Randi S

This course is enjoyable and good course for those who want to start taking a new field of learning, landing new career or just to develop personally. The subject is well teaching with good sense of humor. There are so many advices I can find here and many information that I never got before. It helps to motivate me and to leave every subject I fail and being not rude to myself. I just hate it when it finish. I really enjoyed the journey of watching this MOOC. Thanks for the great free MOOC. I hope I can apply it in my real life of long life learning.

By Elita F M U

Jun 3, 2020

I think the presentation is 100% good, the video, the speech, the themes, the questions. You can really feel that there were too many hours preparing this material. The ideas are very clear, so it helped me understand everything quickly and easily. The videos were short and fun and there was not as much reading as other courses. I really feel grateful and hope that this teacher can be blessed to do these good things for the world.

If you are reading this to decide whether or not to take the course, take it! It's easy, cool, fun and you will really learn!

By Jen L

Jul 5, 2020

I can across this class on classcentral.com, while searching for an 'intro to computer science' MOOC. I found this, and Learning How To Learn. It seemed like a good idea at the time so I enrolled. I couldn't be more pleased I did.

Not one moment of time was a waste of effort or attention. I implore everyone, at every age, no matter where you are at in life, take this class!!

The instruction is entertaining, to the point, and so very useful to all. 1000 thank yous Dr. Oakley, Dr. Sejnowski, Coursera, and all others involved in its existence. Peace.

By Catalina M

Dec 14, 2018

I have been listening to a different professionals about the brain and how we can modify out thoughts and get the most out of it. Then, in one of the videos I listened to Barbara Oakley and since the first 30 seconds she got my full attention. She mentioned the MOOCs and I am really grateful that I have the opportunity to learn more about me, about my brain, my abilities and how to explore my full potential. I love this Mindshift Training and I will recommend to anyone that has the curiosity to see the world in a different and positive way. THANK YOU!!!

By Gary D P

Dec 18, 2017

What can one say about this course that would do it justice. The narrator is never dull or boring. Never once did this course or the course Learning how to learn leave the student feeling overwhelmed. The pace was perfect and the tests appropriate for the subject matter covered. As my second course in the world of online learning I can honestly say that this a good waste of your spare time. Now I will admit the cable company misses me. No longer feeling the zombie draw to mindless shows night after night the only problem is the addiction to learning.

By James A

Feb 22, 2021

I didn't expect to love the first course (Learning How to Learn), but I loved it so much that I felt obligated to continue with this one. I think this course will help anyone to keep an open mind to a life of learning, broadening skills, and applying yourself to your career and hobbies. I think I got more specific, actionable advice on learning and good habits out of the "Learning How to Learn" course, but I highly recommend this one too. I feel more motivated to and capable of learning and applying myself in new ways after completing both courses.

By Miguel H R M

Feb 1, 2020

I really liked this course, this was my favorite class. I learned a lot and understood all the subjects. I highly recommend this course. I was able to understand a lot about how to value my virtues, the way I learn and how to improve the things I do. It changed my perspective on life. It is also very fun and interesting, I felt that it took away my stress and made me feel very good.

The teachers are amazing especially for the way they present all the ideas, in a very simple, clear and easy way, the videos are short and very consistent and I love it.

By K. M E H

It was really an interesting course that encourages people to engage with the course. This course is not hard but a lot of insights about how we learn. I have enjoyed the discussion around the focus and diffuse mode, procrastination, and need for acquiring skills related to diverse learning styles and why should we emphasis on all four learning style. It has helped to understand some of my behaviour and motivated to change those positively.

This course has link with learning how to learn. I will recommend people to complete both the courses.

By Merlin A

Oct 25, 2017

I enjoyed this course very much. The materials are easy to digest and the quizzes at the end helped to solidify concepts being discussed. I also enjoy the instructors communication/teaching techniques (lively, use of jokes and illustration, not boring, good voice and intonation). The information are rather basic (surface level) but I didn't mind. It serves more as reminder than hard core learning modules. This way, I can listen to the materials during my commute to work and still able to retain the information. Thank you for teaching this MOOC!

By Paula V L R

Jun 15, 2020

It's a great course. I learned soo much, and I'm grateful to take this course. The material is dynamic and fun, the MOOC's are interactive and the professors are amazing.I took the course in English even though my native language is Spanish and wasn't a problem for me. It's a great course. I learned soo much, and I'm grateful to take this course. The material is dynamic and fun, the MOOC's are interactive and the professors are amazing.

Thank you!

By Jana V

Jun 26, 2018

Aside Learning How to Learn, Mindshift is the course which helps you take a lead of your own life and have a look at your career from another perspective. The input si clear, the lectures keep your attention from the beginning to the end since the information is transmitted in an extemely memorable way. The instructors are talking from their own experience. I also love this course for not being purely psychological but for scientific and real life context. To conclude, if I were to describe the course in one word, it would be professionalism.

By Pernille O F

May 5, 2018

This is a course which will enrich you thinking and the way you approach future learning. It will show you why and how you keep your mind, your knowledge and your learning fresh, bendable and thriving.

The knowledge of learning, of altering your mindset and especially of the connection to the functions of the brain are all of importance for the quality of your life now and in the future.

Enjoy the many layers of this course. Enjoy every corner of the learning. And know you did not see all the corners - there is still much, much more to learn.

By Dwiriyo S S

Mar 31, 2020

I love this course! I like how this course is well-prepared and Prof. Barbara Oakley is very good at presenting ideas. I got a lot of new information throughout this course and I can apply it immediately in my life. The advice from course is relatable and comes from reliable sources. All of the videos from the course are thoroughly prepared and the reference are from trustworthy journal of science. I got a chance to complete this course during quarantine, and it took me only 3 days to finish it! I recommend you to take this course!

By Chester H

Oct 4, 2020

This course is recommended to me after Learning How to Learn. It is a great course as it teach me how to shift my mind to learning new skills. It is useful to acquire new skills as well as complement my existing one is this new information economy. I am grateful to learn techniques and direction towards my career building process. Lastly, this course also help me to discover my hidden potential as I work through the exercise of skills stack. I recommend it to anyone who is in the process to build or switch career. Happy Learning!

By Lenin L

Jun 21, 2020

This is an amazing course, for people of all ages and background. Even if you already have some experience in a broad range of areas, this could help you understand the logic behind its usefulness in real world application. You will enjoy a relaxed pace course and great tips in how to tackle procrastination once and for all and many others. If you're committed to make the best version of yourself, then this MOOC will help you achieve that. Thanks Dr. Barbara and Dr. Terrence for such a nice course. Totally recommended!

By Karis

Serendipity.

That is the one word that sure describes my encounter with Mindshift. It was a happy chance meeting that delivered more than I expected in learning how to learn.

Mindshift opened for me a whole new vista of possibilities in learning turning previously held misconceptions about education into opportunities for personal and career growth. The course built a new mindset in me that changed "I don't have the talent" to "I can develop the talent."

Thanks a lot, Prof. Barbara and Dr. Terry. You made learning fun.

By Alison M

Apr 22, 2020

This course was packed with information on how to be a better learner, including tips on how to study, increase comprehension and retention, avoid procrastinating, and be more creative. As a university graduate and young professional, I wasn't sure how much value I would get from this course... But I am so glad I gave it a try! The professor, Barb Oakley, is super engaging (I am only a little biased as a McMaster alumni myself). This inspired me to take more MOOCs & continue with lifelong learning. Highly recommend!