Back to Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential by McMaster University

Mindshift is designed to help boost your career and life in today’s fast-paced learning environment. Whatever your age or stage, Mindshift teaches you essentials such as how to get the most out of online learning and MOOCs, how to seek out and work with mentors, the secrets to avoiding career ruts (and catastrophes) and general ruts in life, and insights such as the value of selective ignorance over general competence. We’ll provide practical insights from science about how to learn and change effectively even in maturity, and we’ll build on what you already know to take your life’s learning in fantastic new directions. This course is designed to show you how to look at what you’re learning, and your place in what’s unfolding in the society around you, so you can be what you want to be, given the real world constraints that life puts on us all. You’ll see that by using certain mental tools and insights, you can learn and do more—far more—than you might have ever dreamed! This course can be taken independent of, concurrent with, or subsequent to, its companion course, Learning How to Learn. (Mindshift is more career focused, and Learning How to Learn is more learning focused.)...

SM
Jun 21, 2020

I enjoyed this MOOC. It is very well-done and clearly covers the topics of mindshifting along with career advancement. Also--good illustrations and visuals/sounds which assist in the learning process.

DI
Oct 30, 2020

Great course! This is a lot more general than Learning about Learning but is also useful nonetheless. I like the focus on keeping positive and being confident in your potential despite our weaknesses.

126 - 150 of 3,079 Reviews for Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential

By Alison M

Apr 22, 2020

This course was packed with information on how to be a better learner, including tips on how to study, increase comprehension and retention, avoid procrastinating, and be more creative. As a university graduate and young professional, I wasn't sure how much value I would get from this course... But I am so glad I gave it a try! The professor, Barb Oakley, is super engaging (I am only a little biased as a McMaster alumni myself). This inspired me to take more MOOCs & continue with lifelong learning. Highly recommend!

By Gabriela

Sep 2, 2017

I have to admit I find Learning How to Learn a better MOOC than this one but I can't act like this one is bad because it isn't!!! This is a great MOOC for those who haven't taken LHTL and for those who are thinking in changing their career choice or those who want to learn something completely different to what you know. This is not a deep academic course but rather a well done motivational MOOC that gives you pretty good tips to implement changes in your life that will help you to keep your mind and career fresh.

By Anna S

Jun 2, 2020

This course is definitely worth taking: on the one hand, you gain a deeper understanding of all that you’ve studied in the “Learning How To Learn” MOOC, on the other hand, you reveal new prospects for further development. Personally, I enjoyed the tutorials which contained psychological tricks, like reframing or dealing with push backs from others. Additionally, I loved the fact that the videos concerned such vital topics as distinguishing between your passions and a career path; mentorship; learning on-line.

By Karl B

Feb 1, 2018

Mindshift had a lot of useful information and was quite fun. Even more so the course took on a mentor role which was completely unexpected. It re-framed a number of personal issues I was seeing as obstacles and flaws as things to work with that also had beneficial qualities. It corrected a number of misconceptions I had that turned around and supercharged my curiosity. I loved Learning How to Learn and was eager to take Mindshift. It surpassed my expectations and changed my perspectives in a very positive way.

By Morgan M

Oct 16, 2020

This was a simple yet effect course which has helped me become more confident in myself and trust that I will be successful in the future. My favourite part of the course was learning the Pomodoro Technique, among several other incredible tips and tricks to help one become more successful and happy. I would highly reccommend this course to anyone of any age, specifically those who recently graduated university or college, however, as I recently have and found the information to be very applicable to my life.

By ari r

Nov 13, 2017

Simple but pointed content. I wish I could measure the increase of my performance before and after this course because I am sure there will be a quantifiable increase.

I am taking this course in conjunction with the course "Bhuddism and modern psychology " hosted by Princeton. The mindshift course has helped be be more patient with myself, and the other course has helped point out how I have been driven by emotional decision making and emotional distractions which is helping me make small changes daily.

By Oindrila A

This was a great course. I could feel a lot of the techniques working as I was taking it for few days. Really helps to reframe and think about your potential in a different way. People who are especially struggling with learning or teaching should definitely give this a try. Even if you don't wish to learn anything, still this course can help change your perspective about life in general.The teachers are simply great. Without such a pleasant interaction the understanding of concepts can never be fulfilled.

By Debbie W

Jun 7, 2020

This was a short, simple course that provides some great insights into how to become better lifelong learners. I really liked that the content was broken into short chunks (sometimes videos would last just 2 minutes), which felt really manageable. It was evident that a lot of thought went into the design of the course, and that the design incorporated insights from psychology and neuroscience in order to help us learn better. You can't really lose anything by taking this course - but you can gain a lot!

By Mohak P

Extremely engaging and uplifting MOOC, and the most needed in this time of devastation caused by COVID-19.

Thank you, instructors. This course really inspired me to build my skill stack and develop a positive outlook. Truly, 'nothing is as bad when you look at it, there is always a silver lining ', and 'no skill is inferior to the other'. Who knows when the situation may arise when you would get a chance to apply something you had learnt long ago! And your weakness could be your greatest strengths!

By Matias M

Nov 3, 2019

Excelente curso. Muy útil para aquellas personas que no se sienten capaces de emprender nuevas aventuras de estudio, o de personas que tienen ganas de cambiar sus vidas, ya sea en lo labora, como en lo profesional. Te da nuevos y refrescantes puntos de vista sobre el aprendizaje, y derriba muchos mitos sobre el aprendizaje, y la capacidad de aprender a medida que envejecemos. Además, tiene un gran valor motivacional. Barbara y su equipo han hecho, una vez mas, un gran trabajo!! Gracias por todo!!

By Pamela F

Oct 29, 2020

Even if you already know some of these concepts, you may understand them in a new way because of the way they are presented. The course is encouraging and broken into small parts. If you miss a deadline, you can easily set a new one. This helped keep me going, as I have a tendency not to finish courses. I took Barbara Oakley's last course but prefer this one, maybe because I needed a refresher. I know that I will use some of the insights and methods I learned in this class. Highly recommended.

By Shafira A

Jul 2, 2020

i feel better and healthier because of learning lifestyle from this MOOC. i'd make the meaningful changes to the way i think, learn, and live. also, i have tried to learn until i comfortable with the subject and to be flexible in this rapidly changing world.

in addition, my insight is very open when i know about mental tricks and some techniques that provided by this course especially about the context which i view something doesn't really matter through reframing bad traits as best traits.

By Cynthia B

Mar 30, 2020

The course was every bit and more than what I expected it to be. It was both innovative and enjoyable. The Instructors helped me to see learning in a whole new light. The course also inspired me to purchase the book Mindshift because the course only touches on a few tips but there's a whole lot more to learn inside the book. Thank you for allowing this course to become available for curious minds such as myself that have a heart to learn without hurting our wallets at a time like this.

By Wai L L

Dec 2, 2017

The course provides different angles of viewing the non-alignments between our passion and career. Those tips or tricks provided to solve such incompatibilities are very practical and well supported by neural science. The discussion exercises or peer assignments are also very encouraging and thoughtful. The presentation is interesting and fun too. Thanks two professors, community mentors, Coursera staffs, and fellow classmates for making this course so useful as well as valuable.

By Enoch P

Jun 29, 2020

The course talks about how our brain reacts to various stimuli and the process involved in innovation and learning. Understanding these hacks are invaluable in hacking your brain to perform tasks such as focusing, memorizing and being creative. It also helps you overcome any emotional blocks you may have through techniques such as framing, again this is based on neurological data.

Very helpful course and I would recommend it to anyone irrespective of what stage of life you are in.

By arnuld

Apr 9, 2020

From their earlier MOOC, authors have taken a step-up and this is bigger and detailed version of Learning How to Learn. I think if anyone can take one MOOC in their lifetime, then this would be it. Doesn't matter what kind of profession you are in, this will teach you facts with latest scientific proofs and explanations how does your mind work. Somethings will take you by surprise for sure. And yet, every single explanation has been made so simple and straightforward. 5/5 stars.

By Berta L F F

Oct 17, 2017

This MOOC: "Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential" has been a great, enjoyable and fun experience to expand my skills in every way.

it is very useful for applications in every circumstance, objective and desires of improvement, has a lot of motivation, simple language and keeps the attention to start it and finish it.

thanks to Barbara and Terrence for the time dedicated and the quality of the material. I'll see you in your next MOOC.

By Laura R

Sep 23, 2020

Very useful course, it helped me go thru a serious career mindshift. I found out that everyone around me was giving me advices of what should I do with my life, getting me to the point of feeling frustrating, anxious and sad about my professional life. Then, I realized that the very first step was to calm myself down and actually think about what I really wanted to do, so I did and I'm turning myself into the person I want to become. I highly recommend the mindshift course.

By Argiro K

I find the academic standards of this course to be very sufficient .I have had a very pleasant feeling toward the tutors and professors in the course,quite agreeable in their instucting,very dignified,very learnt people,and of cheerful nature.I can tell how responsible their work is,because i have learnt so much in a simple and amusing way,something that i would not recall for edx courses that are so elaborate in information giving.I feel proud to be a student of Coursera.

By Ahmad A

Mar 28, 2018

Barbra Oakley returns with another impressive and insightful.

Whlie continuing with her unique style to tends more towards teaching by nice wise lady, instead of academic professor style, she conveys helpful and scientifically proven insights, while maintain our enthausiaism and excitment to continue learning and build the suitable mindshift.

I am already excitied and anticipating her upcoming MOOC.

Many Thanks for her, professor Terry and all the MOOC and coursera team.

By Adalis F

Aug 22, 2018

My virtual MENTOR Prof. Barb , last week was the gold drop of the course. I loved, I'm really thankfull with all the content of your course , your magnifique way to transmit them as well.

Discover my hidden potential, is part of it , for me ihas been more than that, It is a TRAINING NON STOP DEVELOPING YOUR INTELLIGENCE.

Thanks to all of you, Porf. Barb Oakley and Dr. Terry Sejnowski I will recomend this course for all kind of people for a better quality life

By Vicky L

May 5, 2021

Another great course was written by Barbara - clear, to the point, and fun to watch. She does such a great job of making ideas easy to comprehend and in a way that sticks in your brain for a long time to come. She is a truly talented teacher; she shows us the dedication, work, and fun that goes into taking the time to really get the message across to students. Makes you wonder just how many sub-par teachers we've had in the past in school or college, don't you think?

By Nikita S

Dec 30, 2017

Great course! I was stuck in my life feeling like I can't study anymore I want to stop learning. But this course gives me reasons to continue studies and different techniques to control the mind, to avoid procrastination and the motivate me to learn new skills. Thanks, Dr. Barbara and Dr. Terrence for great insights.Take the course as you can complete the whole course in 1 week ( 1 week of course in 1 or 2 days) And also it feels nice and motivated after completion!

By Edward G

May 6, 2020

I found the course and in particular Barb very engaging, the information easy to digest, practical and relevant. I have a diagnosis of ADHD and it's always been a struggle for me to persist in any study environment.

Learning how to learn and Mindshift, proved to be so different. I followed the material easily, didn't get bored or distracted and now that all is done, I find that I've retained so much information.

I'm very glad that I took the time to do this course.

By Lawrence S

May 15, 2017

The gold standard for MOOCs. Barbara and her team successfully gives an excellent sequel to their first MOOC, Learning How to Learn. The course was designed to give practical insights about career and life enhancement in today’s information age. I can say that this course encouraged me to pursue a career in data science even though I have already started a career in engineering. If it turns out well, I will definitely look back at this course as my stepping stone.