Back to Model Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Model Thinking by University of Michigan

We live in a complex world with diverse people, firms, and governments whose behaviors aggregate to produce novel, unexpected phenomena. We see political uprisings, market crashes, and a never ending array of social trends. How do we make sense of it? Models. Evidence shows that people who think with models consistently outperform those who don't. And, moreover people who think with lots of models outperform people who use only one. Why do models make us better thinkers? Models help us to better organize information - to make sense of that fire hose or hairball of data (choose your metaphor) available on the Internet. Models improve our abilities to make accurate forecasts. They help us make better decisions and adopt more effective strategies. They even can improve our ability to design institutions and procedures. In this class, I present a starter kit of models: I start with models of tipping points. I move on to cover models explain the wisdom of crowds, models that show why some countries are rich and some are poor, and models that help unpack the strategic decisions of firm and politicians. The models covered in this class provide a foundation for future social science classes, whether they be in economics, political science, business, or sociology. Mastering this material will give you a huge leg up in advanced courses. They also help you in life. Here's how the course will work. For each model, I present a short, easily digestible overview lecture. Then, I'll dig deeper. I'll go into the technical details of the model. Those technical lectures won't require calculus but be prepared for some algebra. For all the lectures, I'll offer some questions and we'll have quizzes and even a final exam. If you decide to do the deep dive, and take all the quizzes and the exam, you'll receive a Course Certificate. If you just decide to follow along for the introductory lectures to gain some exposure that's fine too. It's all free. And it's all here to help make you a better thinker!...

YK

Apr 07, 2018

The course presents a multitude of models that enable us to analyze human and systems behavior and interactions. By making implicit assumptions explicit we can understand real world processes better.

GK

Feb 25, 2017

Great content and lectures, that possibly provides new dimensions to look/explain the situation in context, I guess I will comeback for references to continue with this journey in to 'Model Thinking'

351 - 375 of 381 Reviews for Model Thinking

By Roland v L

Feb 09, 2018

Very interesting material, lectures were a bore.

By Vishnu U

Apr 01, 2016

Gives perspective to the decisions people take

By JeromeTang

Nov 11, 2019

Good course to start model thinking. thanks.

By Jean P K M

Aug 11, 2020

I am fully satiafied with this course.

By James K

Oct 08, 2015

Demanding but very enlightening course

By SANA J

Jul 03, 2020

It was really an informative course.

By Piotr k

Oct 25, 2015

Great course to built basic skills.

By 周福南

Apr 22, 2019

中文字幕有一点问题,其他都还好。能开阔视野,收集到很多思维模型。

By Gustavo

Aug 30, 2017

Great learning tool. Thank you!

By Federico P

Sep 25, 2017

Nice course, but lacks depth.

By Behailu D

Mar 21, 2016

great

By Mahmudul H

Jun 28, 2018

good

By Luiz C d P W F

Apr 04, 2017

Mar 07, 2016

S

By Jaafar A

Sep 14, 2020

Overall a very good course in terms of covering a broad range of topics. Suitable as a foundation to go onto to do more specialized courses in various parts of modelling. Some of the mathematical and quantitative methods could be better explained with more structured processes and formulae. For the learner that isn't familiar with these methodologies, some specific background reading on how best to approach the math would have been very useful. Having said that, well done to the lecturer and the rest of the staff and course organizers who tried their best to cover what are some quite complicated concepts.

By Andrey B S

Sep 23, 2020

A pesar de que la materia es bellísima y desafiante. Le curso es extremadamente demandante de tiempo. Las evaluaciones son un total de 12 y son muy difíciles. Creo que la evaluaciones tienen una curva de dificulta que no es equivalente a lo visto en clase, lo cual termina provocando frustración y deserción entre los estudiantes.