Back to Model Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Model Thinking by University of Michigan

We live in a complex world with diverse people, firms, and governments whose behaviors aggregate to produce novel, unexpected phenomena. We see political uprisings, market crashes, and a never ending array of social trends. How do we make sense of it? Models. Evidence shows that people who think with models consistently outperform those who don't. And, moreover people who think with lots of models outperform people who use only one. Why do models make us better thinkers? Models help us to better organize information - to make sense of that fire hose or hairball of data (choose your metaphor) available on the Internet. Models improve our abilities to make accurate forecasts. They help us make better decisions and adopt more effective strategies. They even can improve our ability to design institutions and procedures. In this class, I present a starter kit of models: I start with models of tipping points. I move on to cover models explain the wisdom of crowds, models that show why some countries are rich and some are poor, and models that help unpack the strategic decisions of firm and politicians. The models covered in this class provide a foundation for future social science classes, whether they be in economics, political science, business, or sociology. Mastering this material will give you a huge leg up in advanced courses. They also help you in life. Here's how the course will work. For each model, I present a short, easily digestible overview lecture. Then, I'll dig deeper. I'll go into the technical details of the model. Those technical lectures won't require calculus but be prepared for some algebra. For all the lectures, I'll offer some questions and we'll have quizzes and even a final exam. If you decide to do the deep dive, and take all the quizzes and the exam, you'll receive a Course Certificate. If you just decide to follow along for the introductory lectures to gain some exposure that's fine too. It's all free. And it's all here to help make you a better thinker!...

GK

Feb 25, 2017

Great content and lectures, that possibly provides new dimensions to look/explain the situation in context, I guess I will comeback for references to continue with this journey in to 'Model Thinking'

YK

Apr 07, 2018

The course presents a multitude of models that enable us to analyze human and systems behavior and interactions. By making implicit assumptions explicit we can understand real world processes better.

26 - 50 of 316 Reviews for Model Thinking

By Eric W

Jan 19, 2017

This course blew my mind week after week. Professor Page's excitement for the topic combined with an amazing ability to communicate clearly and concisely made this an awesome 12 week journey. The double edge of the course is that after 11 weeks my brain is carrying so many new models, it can be hard to keep them straight ... that's what practice and refreshing is for. Awesome class!

By Phil M

Aug 16, 2019

Models are the stuff of knowledge: we propose simplified versions of how the world works and consider how well they match reality. Scott answers the philosophical question "What are models for?" and gives an introduction to several engaging models. Anyone who wants to become a lifelong learner will do well to develop the skill of designing, refining, and applying their own models.

By Zakhar K

Jan 01, 2020

A great intro to mental models - interesting, provocative and thought-inducing. Scott lays off the foundation by breaking complex processes into simple equations and deriving the formulas (the formulas that really work!). This course will definitely help one start looking at our world in models - getting a clearer understanding of what's happening around us.

Thanks, Mr. Page! <3

By Marta K

Jun 06, 2017

An eye opening walk through different models that govern our lives, both personal, political, social, economic and... [insert any industry, academic discipline]. It'll help you become a more rational person, pay attention to fallacies and patterns that appear around us. Might also turn you into a selfish bot evaluating everything rationally, unless that's just me ;-)

By Udaya R

Nov 13, 2016

This was a very well structured course. Prof. Scott has delivered wach lecture with great clarity. As introduction course, it had a very good range of topics and models to learn from. The content is intuitive enough to apreciate the "fertility" of these models and apply them in various contexts.

Many thanks,

Looking forward to more such courses on modeling,

Udaya Ranga

By Yi D

Jan 28, 2017

Great course for quantitative social science, focusing on modeling. I recommend anyone who are interested in social science to take it to know something beyond the traditional reasoning method. I really think quantitative is the future of social science though it is not mature enough. Anyway, this course gives a great introduction, and the content is plenty.

By Ali M

Jul 14, 2019

This is a brilliant course taught by an exceptional instructor who is a passionate innovator in his field. This course not online provided me with just the right amount of "stretch" in terms of the intellectual effort needed, it also expanded the boundaries of my knowledge. You will become smarter if you take this course, I highly recommend it.

By Zhu L

Oct 12, 2017

This is an amazing course for high school students and undergraduate freshmen, especially for students without STEM backgrounds.

Know that it's a very basic introductory course, like an appetizer, it's up to you to research more into all those models (rigorous definition, mathematical formulae, technical papers, real-world application, etc.).

By David L L

Aug 24, 2017

Simply, a great surprise! Content, videos, material, answers in the Forum, Coursera help online. It's been a rewarding journey! I must Excel the materials before I am taking a new one, and I need to wait for a period where the workload is letting me put the effort needed to succeed, but I'll repeat next summer again! Highly recommended!

By Warwick T

Mar 08, 2019

This was a very interesting course. Scott Page is an excellent lecturer. The lectures often have questions in them that make sure the student understands the lecture. The reviews also ask good questions to help the student learn. One suggestion for improvement is that the lectures that have corrections in them should be recorded again.

By Oana G

Apr 15, 2017

I have thouroughly enjoyed this course; it was a great introduction to many new concepts and reasoning frameworks and I cannot wait to dwell deeper into the technicalities of each model. Scott's lectures and explanations are easy to follow, entertaining and I liked having diverse extra readings for each topic.

By Bohdan S

Jul 15, 2019

Outstanding mind-changing introduction to the world of models. Very fertile in terms of applications. Would definitely use the lessons learned in my field — making video games. Take the course if you feel like you need to upgrade your rational thinking and learn a new stuff outside the scope of your field.

By Rodolphe I

Nov 18, 2016

I like it when courses are related to real life problems and thus immediately useful. And that's the case with this course. You'll not only learn some interesting ways to model things out. It will make you tick and reflect on a lot of subjects / putting things into perspectives. Long but rewarding!

By Grant C

Mar 08, 2020

An excellent introduction to using models for practical purposes. I wanted to learn about agent-based modelling, which I achieved in this course. I also learned a lot about models that I had never encountered in previous courses or reading. So I gained a lot from completing the course.

By Aleksandr

May 21, 2017

Very dinamic, interesting and useful course, that many people from various spheres of work and interests could take with benefits. Although few questions in quizzes are doubtfull, the very lections of course are great! Many thanks to Scott E. Page and all other course team members!

By Xin L

May 25, 2017

It is a valuable course that can help you grab new perspectives of thoughts on different kinds of things no matter it is regarding to economics, sociology, psychology or ecology. Comparing to other entry level courses, it is not an easy one but you can learn a lot from it.

By Fernando P

Mar 18, 2019

This is an EXCELLENT CLASS. If you're someone who isn't math savvy and wants to see how math can be used in the real world, check this course out. It really helps you to see the underlying commonalities between all kinds of problems. Great course. Relatable instructor.

By Mian A H

Apr 16, 2017

Hats off to Scott E. Page et al. for putting together this amazing set of lectures and course material. The whole organization of videos, notes, readings fits together really well. I am very happy to have invested my time in this course, it has been very rewarding.

By Michael M

Jan 04, 2020

Really a great course. I wasn't sure what to expect when I signed up but was encouraged by the great reviews. I am very happy I chose to take this course. I didn't realize how informative that framing problems with models can be to gaining insight into the issue.

By Qu L

Jun 23, 2017

This is a good course to inspire my model thinking. The models in this class include daily situations. Our decisions usually follow a pattern that we may not notice. Study of this course helps me better think critically and make decisions in real-life situation.

By Alfaisal J

Oct 15, 2016

One of the best courses ever on and offline at any University I've been to. Only way to have got it better would have been to do assignments, but I suspect it may have caused a drop in the total number of users participating. Super Excellent course!

By alexpazsoldan

Feb 13, 2016

Scott Page does a great job explaining the use of models. In this course you will get an overview of a lot of different models, how to use them, how to construct them and why models are so useful.

The world of the minde and thoughts...at it's best

By Leon W

Sep 13, 2018

This course can enrich one's pluralistic thinking and grant us a wide range of tools in perceiving the world and phenomenons associated with it. Please access to and read through all materials given in the syllabus to make full use of this course.

By Akhil S

Mar 15, 2016

This is a great introductory course for someone who wants to understand what modeling really is and what are some of the tools and techniques used to come up with a model. This might even pique your curiosity to other advance underlying subjects.

By quanling_hw@hotmail.com

Jun 10, 2019

内容的确非常多,非常庞杂。但很有帮助,我不敢确定自己以后都能记得住(虽然在本子上记录很多),但我相信遇到问题后不会总是从直觉做判断了。it is very helpful, and it is very abundant. I am not sure how many I locked in my brain, but I believe instinct judgement will only be a small part of my further distinguishing