Back to Modern Art & Ideas

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Modern Art & Ideas by The Museum of Modern Art

Welcome to Modern Art & Ideas! This course is designed for anyone interested in learning more about modern and contemporary art. Over the next five weeks, you will look at art through a variety of themes: Places & Spaces, Art & Identity, Transforming Everyday Objects, and Art & Society. Each week kicks off with a video that connects works of art from The Museum of Modern Art’s collection to the theme. You will hear audio interviews with artists, designers, and curators and learn more about selected works in the additional readings and resources. Throughout this course you will discover how artists: -- represent place and take inspiration from their environment, -- create works of art to express, explore, and question identity, -- use everyday objects to challenge assumptions about what constitutes a work of art and how it should be made, -- and respond to the social, cultural, and political issues of their time through works of art. Through the discussion forum prompts and peer review assignment, you will also have the opportunity to connect with other learners and explore how these themes resonate with your own life and experience....

AM
Jan 14, 2018

It has been a very wonderful course. I love the museum as a cultural space and now I love it more for its commitment to online education and giving us the opportunity to learn in different countries.

TT
Jun 7, 2020

Really enjoyed this course! Well organized/developed, and even for a museum buff, like me, offered great ideas, and perspectives in ‘looking’ and ‘understanding’ art, and particular artist’s process.

1401 - 1417 of 1,417 Reviews for Modern Art & Ideas

By Allison M P

Dec 13, 2020

I was very disappointed by the format of the class. The content was FABULOUS, but the platform needs work. How can you advertise an online art class and then note that you are unable to share images. I received feedback that the peers didn't like the links!! Those were the instructions.

By Angel W

Feb 18, 2016

This course gives introduction of plenty of artworks from MoMA, but it will be more interesting if it shows more details and explanations about the artwork itself or the background of the time and the society.

By Krisztian S

Dec 30, 2015

This course is solely for teachers, on how to tech art to elementary school pupils. Very basic. Most of the content is available on the MoMA's website. Disappointing.

By Stephen R

Oct 4, 2015

A really interesting course on a fascinating and often misunderstood topic. It could be vastly improved by doing away with the peer assignment review requirement.

By F. S M B

Jan 19, 2016

Quiz was not well structured and title suggested a different idea than what the course was really about. Its a teachers guide.

By Joanne P

Sep 13, 2020

Some of it was very interesting. But also very repetitive. And not really an academic “course.”

By Marha A S

Dec 30, 2015

so so

By Aishwarya S

Jul 27, 2020

Good

By Danielle S

Jan 27, 2021

This felt like a pretty basic overview. I didn't care for the curation for the weekly topics, and I think it might largely be because the only works discussed were only those owned by the MoMA. The whole course felt dumbed-down, and didn't inspire me in the ways I was hoping for. I love the museum, but I finished this course and just felt like it was lacking. I learned about some works and artists I was unfamiliar with, but felt like nothing was as in-depth as I was looking for. Worth the 7-day free trial, but definitely NOT worth the monthly subscription fee. I am suspicious of their whole catalogue being too basic, and feel very let down by this course.

By Richard B