Back to Modern Art & Ideas

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Modern Art & Ideas by The Museum of Modern Art

Welcome to Modern Art & Ideas! This course is designed for anyone interested in learning more about modern and contemporary art. Over the next five weeks, you will look at art through a variety of themes: Places & Spaces, Art & Identity, Transforming Everyday Objects, and Art & Society. Each week kicks off with a video that connects works of art from The Museum of Modern Art’s collection to the theme. You will hear audio interviews with artists, designers, and curators and learn more about selected works in the additional readings and resources. Throughout this course you will discover how artists: -- represent place and take inspiration from their environment, -- create works of art to express, explore, and question identity, -- use everyday objects to challenge assumptions about what constitutes a work of art and how it should be made, -- and respond to the social, cultural, and political issues of their time through works of art. Through the discussion forum prompts and peer review assignment, you will also have the opportunity to connect with other learners and explore how these themes resonate with your own life and experience....

TT
Jun 7, 2020

Really enjoyed this course! Well organized/developed, and even for a museum buff, like me, offered great ideas, and perspectives in ‘looking’ and ‘understanding’ art, and particular artist’s process.

AM
Jan 14, 2018

It has been a very wonderful course. I love the museum as a cultural space and now I love it more for its commitment to online education and giving us the opportunity to learn in different countries.

1301 - 1325 of 1,381 Reviews for Modern Art & Ideas

By Sree H V N

Apr 25, 2019

I enjoyed learning this course thoroughly............

By Sai K

Jun 2, 2020

i love the videos, easy to understand and lively : )

By Carla L F V

May 28, 2018

very complete course. Different perspectives

By YingCai

May 13, 2017

Good introduction of modern art! I like it!

By Fangyan S

Aug 9, 2017

Materials and subjects are well chosen.

By Pepe L

Apr 1, 2017

very nice introduction for artist mind

By Sheng L

Mar 17, 2020

Good time spend reading about stuff

By Kolawole J k

Sep 26, 2020

I really appreciate this course

By Clara M

Oct 4, 2020

Very complete and inspiring

By Maria M S G

Aug 12, 2020

Me encanto y aprendí mucho.

By Ema E Y

Jun 11, 2021

K

By Kate

Dec 25, 2015

This course is designed for school teachers and, perhaps, for art museum's workers. I'm neither, but I took this course because I'd like to know more about the modern art.

The course is essentially a merge of two independent parts, namely, videos about artworks and papers about different theories of education in art. I took this course because of artworks, so I was not interested in papers.

Videos were great; especially the first one in each lesson. Even my husband, who isn't fond of art in general, found these videos interesting. In videos, lecturer explains history and meaning of each piece of art.

Required reading was dramatically different. First, students are required to read at least 10 pages (art papers) about approaches in teaching AND at least 4 articles in museum's website PER WEEK. Actually, careful reading not just browsing does take a lot of time, in fact, it takes way more time per week than claimed. In addition, these reading were not useful for me! I am not interested in teaching art, and reading same facts about artworks that I've heard in lectures is waste of my time. Seriously, I and most of people grasp most of the ideas from the first time; even if not, I would watch the video again. Why should I do extra reading that brings me no extra knowledge?

On a good side, one can pass quiz without any reading. Just a bit of thinking process, and you pass with 5/6 or 6/6 score.

Overall, the course is attractive because of amazing videos. However, I believe that this course must be reorganized in two different courses - one would be about artworks and understanding of art, another would be about teaching techniques in art.