Back to The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 1)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 1) by Wesleyan University

This course examines how the idea of "the modern" develops at the end of the 18th century in European philosophy and literature, and how being modern (or progressive, or hip) became one of the crucial criteria for understanding and evaluating cultural change. Are we still in modernity, or have we moved beyond the modern to the postmodern?...

JR
Aug 1, 2019

It was a fabulous journey, and brought me so much nearer to the great minds of the 18th and especially the 19th century, reading original texts, and listening to Prof Roth's wonderful interpretations.

NM
Jan 7, 2016

One of the best professors i've ever come across! If the teacher is so passionate about the subject material as well as conveying the ideas, the course will be excellent. This is one of those courses.

26 - 50 of 235 Reviews for The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 1)

By Rachel D D

Aug 19, 2020

The course is very interesting. It gives a clear view of how literature along with philosophy evolved.

The explanations were well detailed and well structured. As a student of English Literature I would highly recommend this course to my fellow colleagues. It gives a great insight to the evolution of modernism, and this knowledge helps in understanding various other fields of literature - criticisms, theories, and new literatures.

By Anjali R

Oct 7, 2020

This course has been a very informative and enjoyable introduction to Enlightenment thinkers and the evolution of thought since the Enlightenment to modern times. Professor Roth is a very engaging teacher, exuding passion for his subject and sharing his knowledge of the various thinkers and writers in an objective and non-judgmental way, which encourages us as students to learn and think about their writings with open minds.

By Tinyakova E A

May 16, 2020

My opinion of the course "The Modern and the Postmodern" is at the highest level. I like the content hierarсhy of the course and then the logical outcome into real life. The lectures of the instructor prof. M.Roth stimulated me to deeper understanding the thinkers chosen for the course. The rhetoric and manner of prof.M.Roth's speech is wondeful! I like prof. M. Roth as a researcher, teacher and thinker.

By Elva E S M

Aug 10, 2016

Wonderful experience for someone who has been out of university for so long. Will be spending time reading the philosophers much more carefully. I had to read too fast in order to do the writing assignments, unfortunately. It is ironic that the writing assignments are to make one reflect and learn, but they force one to read too quickly rather than to enjoy the readings. Good course, however.

By Thamires e S G d R

Aug 3, 2021

Michael Roth makes sure to provide all learners a great experience throughout the course, the way we build-up the knowledge we acquire during the course is awesome, the tasks really help out in this way, because we are always thinking of ways to relate everything that was shared during the classes... I finished the course wanting for more. I can't wait to stat Part 2 of this journey...

By James F

Aug 2, 2020

This course covers a lot of ground, touching on philosophy, history, art, and literature, but professor Roth shows interesting and unexpected connections between the diverse intellectual traditions surveyed. The lectures are informative and thought-provoking but also digestible, and the written assignments (three 800-word essays) encourage you to make connections between the readings.

By Tammy H

Jun 13, 2018

Love the course so much. I've already known a little bit about every thinker and writer mentioned in the course but haven't noticed how they are related to each other. Now everything makes so much sense! :D Although it's a bit hard to catch up since my mother tongue is not English, I'm very happy to learn many new words. Thanks for everyone who makes the course online! :)

By Lo W

Sep 4, 2021

This course was just what I wanted. I wanted to understand how the enlightenment philosophers informed the founders of the U.S. and brought about the ideals of Democracy. I hoped it would help me understand why we are failing miserably at preserving it.

Beyond that Dr. Roth was an outstanding instructor whose knowledge and enthusiasm for his subject was infectious.

By Nadezda Z

Aug 14, 2015

One of the best courses I ever had an opportunity to encounter on Coursera. It is an insightful, enlightening journey into the cultural and philosophical heritage of humanity. The professor opens up and talks in a most compelling way about all major ideas of modernity that you have heard about. This course is a must for anyone who wants to be an intellectual person.

By Jelena K

Nov 2, 2017

Professor Roth is absolutely brilliant. The course content is thought through and most appropriate. Reading materials especially. The written assignments are a great way to broaden your knowledge and they really make you think about the lectures and help connect different ideas. Again, professor Roth is both creative and insightful and his lectures are lovely.

By Chad C

Feb 18, 2017

I thoroughly enjoyed this course. The lectures were cogent and engaging, and the materials were wide-ranging and intriguing. While I was initially skeptical about the peer review process for an online course, my reviewers were respectful and encouraging. Overall, this was a truly worthwhile learning experience, and I am looking forward to Part 2 of the course.

By Sanjana P

Jan 28, 2017

Brilliant course. This was my first course and the first time in philosophy. I really enjoyed Professor Michael Roth's breaking down of the content matter. It motivated me to read non-fiction on a regular basis and changed the way I view the world to a certain extent. The course is easy to follow through and seems especially useful for beginners in this field.

By Jing Y

Apr 7, 2016

Personally, this is the highest rated course so far I've had on Coursera. Selective philosophers, thinkers, writers and poets with their best works recommended, various topics about modernity and post-modernity. Every module literally helps me review my understanding of the topic and of modernity and modern man. Recommend this course to every one I know.

By Nidhi N

Jun 8, 2020

It was the most amazing experience to hear Mr Roth talk about philosophy in such clear and balanced manner. I am from literature and was always curious about philosophy. But after completing this course, I have realised I want to dig deeper. It was an enriching learning experience. Thank you Coursera and Wesleyan University!

By Kat

Nov 4, 2016

I listened to both part I and part 2 of The Modern and the Postmodern, but sadly didn't have enough time to do all the reading and assignments. However, I enjoyed these lectures so much I might do this mooc again when I have more time for the readings. GREAT material and I love the way Professor Roth conveys it.

By Emily S

Apr 3, 2020

Really well designed course with interesting reading and excellent lectures to support it. The assignments are interesting to write and really made me think critically about the literature and philosophy we were focused on. The cross-curricular approach to modernity makes it very varied from week-to-week.

By Mohammad A

Oct 6, 2018

Very well-structured and brilliantly taught. If philosophy/sociology/cultural studies interest you but you've never had a chance to learn it in a progressive, structured sequence, then this course is for you. This will help you make wholistic sense of ideas and place them in reference to one another.

By Richard O

Aug 23, 2020

This class gives you a comprehensive understanding of the progression of philosophical ideas from the end of the enlightenment to the end of modernity. You may think you know one of these philosophers well, but the way this course provides historical context is crucial to your understanding of them.

By DAU G B T

Mar 5, 2021

Very interesting course! This course brought me so much nearer to many great minds. I had opportunities to read lots of original texts in the logic order. I like how Professor Roth remained the objective throughout the course without letting his opinions about issues. Highly recommend!

By David H

May 17, 2021

One of the most engaging, coherent and put-together courses I have audited - thank you so much for the effort, humour and structure of these materials.

I didn't participate fully or complete written assignments - but I am very likely to do so on a future pass...

Thanks once more

David

By Sankar V

May 20, 2017

Information overload for people occupied with other jobs too but a wonderful experience and journey through the essential philosophers that needs to be read for looking into a modern and post modern world. High intellectual quality and wonderfully structured course. cheers! thanks

By E Z

Jul 6, 2020

It was my best experience in online courses . As an artist and journalist, I was completely hopeless when I started this course, but professor Michael S.Roth and his lectures, was a bright spark of hope to me. Thanks to Coursera and especial appreciation to professor Roth.

By Charles D L

Sep 22, 2016

An excellent and thoroughly enjoyable course. The readings are accessible and range in subject from philosophy to psychology, politics to literature. Dr. Roth's lectures are engaging and entertaining. He has excellent credentials and an excellent way of discussing his topics.

By Fatema A

Nov 17, 2020

The course is really invigorating and covers a lot of thinkers and explores the essence of their philosophy. Professor Roth is an amazing instructor who speaks with so much passion and just the right amount of humor to make the whole experience really fun and valuable.

By Jenifer S

Aug 9, 2015

What is the Enlightenment? Part One of this course pulls together a number of stimulating readings to introduce the basic concepts of the title. Taught by an expert with grace and style. Stimulating assignments challenge the student to think comparatively and deeply.